Cherie123

USCIS prioritizes permanent residents over US citizens?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Looking at TexasService center processing times for I-130 are 1 week to 7 months for permanent residents, but 8.5 months to 10.5 months for US citizen filing for a spouse. I thought US citizens had priority over the other groups.( that is why lawyers recommend applying for citizenship rather than staying permanent resident).  Why is it like this at the Texas service center? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I understand different category and different queue, but I still don’t understand how one groups can get their approval so fast compared to other categories. Aren’t there great backlogs with both these groups?

Edited by Cherie123

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 minutes ago, wagecuck3 said:

They artificially increase them whenever they want to stop people from filing service requests.

You have a source to back up that, I assume?  

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Maybe Texas generally does not get assigned to handle permanent residents at all, but they did get one case that was expedited through there for some specific reason a few months back?????  My NOA1's said Texas,  when I contacted a live agent on "Ask Emma" it was confirmed to me that my cases were definitely in Texas, they were both apparently transferred to Nebraska without notice and approved in just 49 days from filing.  My takeaway was that the listed wait times are quite possibly irrelevant and do not provide any useful information.  YMMV

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

3 hours ago, Cherie123 said:

I understand different category and different queue, but I still don’t understand how one groups can get their approval so fast compared to other categories. Aren’t there great backlogs with both these groups?

Overall, there are less permanent residents than US citizens. That means that there are less petitions by permanent residents, which means they're able to get processed a little quicker. Not sure what's hard to understand about that.

5 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Overall, there are less permanent residents than US citizens. That means that there are less petitions by permanent residents, which means they're able to get processed a little quicker. Not sure what's hard to understand about that.

Well, that's an interesting theory. But let's think about it. Sure, if USCIS has 100 officers who work on IR1 petitions and another 100 officers who work on F2A petitions then the IR1 petitions will be way more backlogged since there are more of them being filed. But why would USCIS do that? It makes much more sense to combine them into a pool of 200 officers who can all work on either IR1 or F2A, since the process of adjudicating these petitions is basically the same. They would just pick up whichever one is next in terms of receipt date, and then work on that. If that's the case, both types of petition should take roughly the same amount of time to process, since it just depends on how many total petitions (of BOTH types) are ahead of yours, plus how complex your case is.

Is there any ACTUAL evidence that I-130s are getting approved faster when filed by LPRs than US citizens? As I've said before, we shouldn't just blindly believe the processing times on the USCIS website.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

When the processing time says 2 weeks to 7 months, you know their algorithm is screwed is not trustworthy, so i say don't trust those processing times distinction between LPRs and citizens.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

5 hours ago, Cherie123 said:

where do you see green card processing faster than naturalization ? its the other way around. 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.