JeffAtl

Financial Responsibility as a sponsor

86 posts in this topic

If you marry and then divorce you're more likely to get screwed financially in a divorce court than USCIS chasing you for money over the I-864

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Are they?

1.  The I-134 is unenforceable anyway.  It’s a check to make sure you are eligible to sponsor her when she applies for permanent resident status.  

2.  You are not at ANY risk until after adjustment of status is approved, over a year after you are married

3.  This person, at least until they get a travel document and EAD is 100% dependent on you.  For everything.  Cant drive, can’t work, in immigration “limbo” status.  If she leaves the country before you are married AND advance parole is granted she can’t come back.  K1 is a one-way ticket, all dependent on you.

Who’s really taking the risk?  It isn’t you.  You already looking at things this way I see a train wreck.

I disagree that I'm not taking a risk, but your post is nonetheless helpful, so thank you for that.

4 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

If you marry and then divorce you're more likely to get screwed financially in a divorce court than USCIS chasing you for money over the I-864

Hence a prenup.  I agree with you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
18 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

Very well done! We will be doing it in real time as she's hasn't been permitted to visit the U.S. as its not a tourist visa.  But I've laid a lot of groundwork in setting expectations and getting things ready for them to be comfortable.  I've talked to staff at the high school, researched cars for her, thought about what foods they like, phones, medical insurance, and on and on and on.  I've created space for them also.  I can't believe these fools on 90 day fiance (speaking mostly of the men) who don't even create space for their fiancees! I mean wow.  Its insane to me the lack of thought.  I'm on the other extreme and maybe overthinking, as thats my nature.  But they have to be comfortable, as it will be hard enough adjusting as it is.

It also depends on the area they come from, you will find people from European country's assimilate very quick. They come to the US with full intension to become Americans.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Calicolom said:

It also depends on the area they come from, you will find people from European country's assimilate very quick. They come to the US with full intension to become Americans.

Kiev.  Its a big city, but still will be an adjustment.  For example, they 100% rely on public transportation there.  That will be a huge adjustment.  Her son will have to ask us to drive him everywhere and he's pretty independent. But he will enjoy a lot less responsibility here too, so it sort of balances out some I guess.  Time will tell.  At least he will get to be more of a kid here.

3 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

I disagree that I'm not taking a risk, but your post is nonetheless helpful, so thank you for that.

Good to know:  prenup does not cancel or modify the contract you sign with the US govt in the I-864.  Nor does divorce or divorce decree contents.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Good to know:  prenup does not cancel or modify the contract you sign with the US govt in the I-864.  Nor does divorce or divorce decree contents.

Understood.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 4/29/2021 at 8:56 AM, JeffAtl said:

You’re not, but you’re not ready for this either.  Sorry dude.  Go all in or fold.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 4/29/2021 at 7:26 AM, neca said:

Came here to say this. I'll reiterate here for emphasis:

‼️💫🗯️💥Trust your Gut.💥🗯️💫‼️

Side note: The best relationships have a solid foundation of open, honest communication. How can you share the rest of your life intimately with someone you can't truly be yourself with?

Good luck.

This right here is why I always think that long distance relationships should have a stronger foundation. When you can not be with your partners physically communication is ALL you have to build on. I find this is a reason why my fiance and I work out so well. We communicate with one another about everything. If someone is not being open and honest about how they feel with their partner who is not there, how can they even know problems exist? 

Our Timeline:

i29F Sent: 9/17/20

NOA 1: 9/21/20

RFE: 4/14/21

RFE Response Sent: 4/22/21

RFE Response Received: 4/26/21

NOA 2: 5/10/21

Interview Date: December 10, 2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 4/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, JeffAtl said:

I hate to even bring this up, but its a concern.  I've read a lot on other boards and just research in general that the person in the U.S. who is sponsoring their future spouse is potentially liable for 125% of any government assistance that immigrant may go on in the event the relationship fails for a period of 10 years or until that person is a U.S. citizen which I believe takes around 5 years minimum.  Anyone have horror stories to share on this? What are the realistic chances of financial ruin for the sponsor if it doesn't work out? I just want to know the potential downside scenarios as we are getting close to the Embassy interview and then there's really no turning back as it's the final step to her approval.  I believe I've been misinformed by my attorney, which is why I bring this up.  The whole process has put a strain on our relationship and I'm taking a huge risk.

Forgive me, but aren’t you already willing to risk this if you were in a relationship with someone? Just in general, something similar.

Also, why are you so concern that this relationship might not work out?

I’m not trying to judge, but if you’re so concern about the financial ramifications rather than looking forward to the future you will share with your spouse, I think you should call it off. 

I agree with several others that it is good that you feel free to openly ask the questions you are asking on this board. A couple of things that I would add; the amount needed to earn per quarter in 2021 is $1,470 or $5,880 per year. If you have not done so already, I strongly suggest you talk with her about a pre-nup. I assume you want to have a prenup so I suggest you talk with her about that ASAP. If she expresses doubt about a prenup then, IMO, that would definitely be a red flag. 

Since financial factors are important, I suggest you also ask her if she intends to and wants to work. What type of work is she suited for? How is her English? Do you live in a rural community where jobs for an immigrant who does not speak good English might be difficult to get? Do you want her work? 

Both your conversation about the prenup and about her wanting and ability to work will be useful in knowing more about what to expect and for you to continue to make your decision about the relationship. At the same time, she can also be making a decision about you.

Not to be cynical about all of this nor to make stereotypical judgements; however if you met her through some type of match company that focuses on US men meeting Ukrainian women it may very well be that she has been corresponding with other American men. If so, she would not be the first to have some level of relationship with more than one American man. 

Now I will be a bit cynical and say this: If she speaks fairly good English and has a track record of working in Ukraine and has job skills to be able to fairly easily find work in the US AND if you have a good tight prenup then your financial risks are really fairly minimal in my opinion. Worst case scenario - you get married but after a few years one or both of you want a divorce; if you have a well done prenup the expenses to you are not all that great in the divorce; if she has been working in a stable job she has been building up those SS quarters and if she has a decent job she is not eligible for most "public charge" federal benefits (such as food stamps, Section 8 housing assistance, etc.) anyway so your financial sponsorship is not an issue.

I hope my input is helpful in makin your decision. Having said all that, I wish you the best.    

On 4/28/2021 at 11:38 AM, JeffAtl said:

See, and thats part of the problem for us.  The strain is incredible and I'm investing tens of thousands of dollars.  Its not stopping by a long shot.  I'm just very concerned as to whether we really have a strong enough foundation.  I know thats off topic in a way, but it makes me extremely stressed and nervous.

I'm just curious as to how you've invested that much money? Like, what expenses cause such steep price?

Check out our blog at : PolarHoneyBears.com

~ Anime. Guild Wars 2. Minecraft. Art. Tattoos. Photography. Dining. Travel. ~

Timeline
On 4/28/2021 at 11:59 AM, Luckycuds said:

The sponsor is responsible until the beneficiary has worked 40 quarters (this is where the 10 years comes in- if they work all 4 quarters of a year for 10 years..) , they die, they become a US citizen or they give up their residency. If you are stressed about this then I would question your relationship. If you aren't sure this is the person you plan on being with the rest of your life then maybe you should rethink this whole process. If you don't doubt your relationship then I wouldn't doubt this requirement. 

Correct. I just went through this process. Me and my husband’s immigration lawyer read my husband (who was my U.S. sponsor) these responsibilities at least five times to make sure that he fully comprehended what he was responsible for. 

On 4/28/2021 at 10:19 AM, JeffAtl said:

I hate to even bring this up, but its a concern.  I've read a lot on other boards and just research in general that the person in the U.S. who is sponsoring their future spouse is potentially liable for 125% of any government assistance that immigrant may go on in the event the relationship fails for a period of 10 years or until that person is a U.S. citizen which I believe takes around 5 years minimum.  Anyone have horror stories to share on this? What are the realistic chances of financial ruin for the sponsor if it doesn't work out? I just want to know the potential downside scenarios as we are getting close to the Embassy interview and then there's really no turning back as it's the final step to her approval.  I believe I've been misinformed by my attorney, which is why I bring this up.  The whole process has put a strain on our relationship and I'm taking a huge risk.

You can test for citizenship at the 3 year green card mark.  I married my wife while she was on a tourist visa during covid.    Having been married less than 2 years on the day of our appointment, she has only a 2 year conditional green card and we have to reapply to have conditions lifted within the last 90 days of the 2 years.   However, if that appointment then doesn't actually happen until the 3 year date of the conditional green card issued,  as it apparently happens for some,  we can also apply  for citizenship at the same time at the same interview.   I think we will have to add the citizenship paperwork, but the official will first interview us both to lift the condition on the green card, and then i will leave the meeting and she stays for the citizenship interview/test.   That was described to me by our immigration official who interviewed us for her conditional green card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.