29 posts in this topic

None of this story adds up.   Not surprised you were denied.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
6 hours ago, trudi said:

You have a 15 year old child in your home country that you have never met and her mother is happy to send her to another country to live with what to her are strangers?

You also have no idea what you are talking about, perhaps you have never experienced real poverty or appreciate what it is in a developing economy context. I will conservatively estimate that there’s will be millions of women in my original country who will send their daughter (who will also be happy to go) to live with a father they have never met if he lives in the USA, Canada, or the developed western world, and these are not irresponsible mothers I am talking about.

Be very slow to judge what tough decisions others take when you have not lived in their shoes.

Edited by African Zealot

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JFH said:

My father disappeared from my life at a very young age. I would not have been impressed if, when I was 15, he suddenly reappeared and announced he was taking me to a foreign country to live with him and his wife, whom I had never met, no matter how much money they had. It takes a lot more than that to be a father. 

With due respect, your thesis is unnecessary. I didn’t say I approved of what this person is trying to do. I specifically addressed someone who was being critical of a mother who would’ve send her daughter off to live with a father she’d never met.

Finally, your experience is irrelevant. I am talking about how millions of people from developing countries living in poverty think.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

46 minutes ago, African Zealot said:

With due respect, your thesis is unnecessary. I didn’t say I approved of what this person is trying to do. I specifically addressed someone who was being critical of a mother who would’ve send her daughter off to live with a father she’d never met.

Finally, your experience is irrelevant. I am talking about how millions of people from developing countries living in poverty think.

Perhaps spare a moment for how the child might be thinking.

And for all we know, poverty might not be an issue here. The OP has not given any information about the financial status of his child and her mother. I know it’s a very common misconception here that all other countries except the US are poor and everyone wants to come here for economic reasons. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How did Africa come into this? Sounds like I missed something.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, JFH said:

Perhaps spare a moment for how the child might be thinking.

And for all we know, poverty might not be an issue here. The OP has not given any information about the financial status of his child and her mother. I know it’s a very common misconception here that all other countries except the US are poor and everyone wants to come here for economic reasons. 

I think you need to follow the discussion, I am not approving of the OP’s plan. I am simply pointing out that millions and millions of people in developing countries will willingly send their children off to live with strangers in advanced countries, much less a father.

Finally I was nor only born and raised in a developing economy, I have extensive personal social experience of several. I am by no means calling the USA heaven or claiming everyone in a developing country will migrate to the USA. I have classmates and know people back home who have zero interest in doing so including my own father who was educated here and promptly returned home upon graduation.

However there are millions and millions and even billions. You simply need to look at the southern border and the thousands of children who are sent up north by their parents unaccompanied. It’s not even debatable.

Edited by African Zealot

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

1 hour ago, JosephAsh said:

Hmmm I posted this to get a good advice from people on here but y’all fighting on my own post 🤷‍♂️

Bottom line is: you're gonna need a lawyer for this. This is not a DIY case. I can understand the heightened emotions because there is a child involved here. But ultimately, this is a little above VJ's paygrade.

19 hours ago, trudi said:

You have a 15 year old child in your home country that you have never met and her mother is happy to send her to another country to live with what to her are strangers?

You have bigger problems than USCIS to be thinking about. If I was you I'd be concentrating on building a relationship with your child and getting your own immigration status resolved before trying to bring her here.

Sorry OP but it all sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and there's an innocent 15 year old girl caught in the middle :(

To be fair, we have NO idea what the child's relationship is like with her mother and what their lives are like in their home country and their motivations for considering the change. Maybe the daughter does want to come to the US. Maybe she doesn't actually like her home country. We have no idea and honestly, OP doesn't owe us a detailed explanation about it if he doesn't want to share it because that's pretty personal stuff. He should simply consult a few lawyers and tell them the whole story because his situation's somewhat unique and complex. Not much VJ can do for him.

***Thread closed for review.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.