Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 3/9/2021 at 10:52 PM, VIR CHAMP said:

Is it true for all the Non-Canadian going through advanced processing ?
Any idea what additional background check they would do even after we presenting the police clearance certificate from the country other than Canada ?

Also, Is it advisable to upload Canadian PR picture on CEAC or just to bring it to the interview?

Not necessarily true. I am a Canadian PR (not citizen) and got approved today. You have to upload PR card copy to CEAC and bring it to the interview as they will ask for it with original documents. Also bring a photocopy just in case.

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone, I read on here that they are processing people that have been DQ mid-July. Does it matter which service centre your application originally went to or are we all in the same pot now?

Also, if you get refused at the interview for some reason and there is more paper work to be done in order to get approved, they will give your passport back I heard. Are you allowed to travel and visit the USA during that time?

When you do get the approval, do you need to go back to the consulate a second time or you just mail your passport to them?

Edited by Flowergirl 737

Timeline

GC Update:

• DQ: Apr-14, 2020
  • Interview @ Consulate: Jan-13, 2021 (approved IR-1)
  • Tracking number received: Jan-15, 2021
  • Passport/Visa received: Jan-18, 2021
  • USCIS Immigrant fee: Jan-18, 2021 (USD $220 for GC; details here)
  • POE @ Peace Arch: Feb-26, 2021 (visa activated + car imported + US mailing address updated)
  • Green Card produced: Mar-6, 2021 (notification received on myUSCIS & email notification) - it can also be tracked here
  • Green Card shipped: Mar-10, 2021 (notification received on myUSCIS & email notification with tracking number from USPS)
  • Green Card received: Delivery scheduled Saturday Mar-13, 2021

SSN: Still nothing. I'll contact the local Security Social office and schedule in-person appointment following 3 weeks from POE. 

Edited by Hoffmaya

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Cressidia said:

hey has anyone heard any updates on the march interview scheduling? i've not seen anything from anyone here just yet. :(

If it doesn't happen tomorrow, then I it'll be next week sometime.

And don't worry, when it does happen, you'll know - I can tell before opening the thread each day whether or not it's happened based on how many pages of new posts there are 😂

On 3/10/2021 at 11:16 AM, legendqueue said:

As HawkRiders said, check the FAQ for general answers on most of this. I'll give a cautionary tale based on my experience. You will want to check for the required compliance marks on your car (again, FAQ) and will probably need to get a Letter of Compliance from the manufacturer if the car meets Canadian safety standards. If the mark on the inside of the door mentions CMVSS but not FMVSS, it meets Canadian but not American safety standards. This is almost always due to TPMS which is installed by law on American cars since 2007 (ish) but is not a standard thing on Canadian cars. 

TPMS is where most peoples' issue lies. If you search for info online about this, you'll find plenty of people saying that CBP chose not to enforce the TPMS requirement and allowed the import, but this seems to be random and completely up to the CBP office. Peace Arch would not let me import my 2014 Camry without TPMS. I also got bad advice from a CBP officer on the phone who said any aftermarket TPMS would suffice -- I slapped on a cheap and cheerful Amazon TPMS based on this call and while the unit works great it also resulted in a frustrating 90 minute visit to Peace Arch secondary before being told I couldn't import it without a dealer-installed OEM TPMS. Luckily I was able to bring the car in *at all* because The Rules state that the one year grace period for importing a car only applies to temporary residents and at when I made my Peace Arch visit I had already been a permanent resident for 2 weeks, so they could have just told me to take my unimportable car back to Canada and that would be... very bad.

I called both Toyota USA and Toyota Canada and they cannot or will not install TPMS on this model of Camry. I checked the instrument panel and it doesn't even have a TPMS light, so it's also unlikely it has the harness or any other stuff required.  

In any case I'm 10 miles on the US side of the border with an unimportable car on which the Canadian insurance will no longer be valid in just over a week since Washington law says you have 30 days to register the car you brought in when you move, and ICBC says you have to confirm to the laws of the state you're in to have the policy remain active. I also have no idea how I can insure the car here since I can't get tags for it (register it) since it's not imported. And I can't just sell it in Canada because of what I feel are pretty obvious reasons lol. Basically I'm going to have to wait for the border to reopen or for quarantine requirements to be lifted, and presumably there's going to be some sort of vaccination requirement tied in there so I have to wait for that too, then figure out some sort of temporary insurance, then return to Canada and sell the vehicle.

If anyone has experience with or has a great idea about this kind of situation I'd love to hear it, but I think I'm kinda screwed haha. But I'm down here with my family so really this is just another thing to roll my eyes about in this process!

Oh man I'm so sorry this is so long, everyone.

TLDR: *as far as possible before your POE date*, check for emission and safety standards markings, if you don't have FMVSS certification get the letter of compliance from Toyota Canada, if your car is missing TPMS either sell it or see if Toyota can install it.  Or find the magical CBP office that will allow import without TPMS, but even then I'd be worried that a potential future insurance claim might get denied on the basis that the car wasn't FMVSS compliant.

Thank you soo much for the detailed reply! You have cleared up a lot of questions in my mind. Importing seems like a lot of hassle! I don't believe my 2010 Toyota Camry would have FMVSS if your 2014 model didn't have it. I hope I am able to sell it off before my departure on 20th. I have listed in on Marketplace, Autotrader & kijiji. Any other suggestions?

Edited by Momof7yold
typing error

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whoops! Forgot to ask @i5love & @oppedib if they were approved... ?

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Hey guys, im sure this has been asked a million times before but i cant find it in this thread through the 90 pages there are. For the interview checklist when it says to bring an original birth certificate of the beneficiary... does they need an original of the petitioners too? Or just a photocopy? I thought it was a photocopy, but maybe im just second guessing myself now...they don't word it really clear.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.