Vladislav667

Affidavit of support

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello! Me and my fiancé (both 20) are going through the k-1 visa process. And we find that the most problematic part that no one firstly talks about is the amount of money petitioner must get. He started working few months ago as a waiter so his main income are tips.  But an affidavit of support requires information about year’s salary. We are hoping for the best. But it seems like there’s no way for us to be together in less than two years or so. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Vladislav667 said:

Hello! Me and my fiancé (both 20) are going through the k-1 visa process. And we find that the most problematic part that no one firstly talks about is the amount of money petitioner must get. He started working few months ago as a waiter so his main income are tips.  But an affidavit of support requires information about year’s salary. We are hoping for the best. But it seems like there’s no way for us to be together in less than two years or so. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Thank you

Lol. People talk about the finance involved. Also for you to be engaged to be married it's no joke and a very serious commitment. Even more difficult when it involves immigration. This is just the beginning of the fees ,see below not including the proof that the petitioner can sustain the beneficiary (i864) and joint sponsor.  

1.Initial filing fees 

2. Visa fees for ds 160

3. Medical fees, 

4.logistics&accommodation in case the clinic and embassy are far from your location

5. Flight cost to the US

Note when you come to the US,you won't be able to work until several months when you get your EAD

6.payment for marriage license within 90days

7. AOS fees over 1000usd that's if USCIs havent succeeded in their increment by the time you guys are done. 

8. Petitioner having extra mouth to feed and cater for. More like x2 of current living cost. 

So this is really no joke for 20year olds ,with a waiter job. Be sure of what you want before diving into it and be guided. 

Just to add. The petitioner should get a capable  joint sponsor but he is also required to submit affidavit of support. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Vladislav667 said:

But it seems like there’s no way for us to be together in less than two years or so. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Sometimes, patience is a better road to take.  Living on tips is not going to be easy. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Vladislav667 said:

And we find that the most problematic part that no one firstly talks about is the amount of money petitioner must get.

Actually, the most problematic part will be living expenses after arriving....and the immigration process is expensive, too.  Have you two looked at all the costs?

Rent

Healthcare

Utilities

Transportation

Food

and a lot more.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, Vladislav667 said:

Thank you

Hello!

Waiting 2 more years may be a burden on your relationship. However, making sure you’re both aware of the costs and mainly the stress this process envolves is mandatory.

Your fiancé has the choice of getting the help of a family member or a friend who’d be willing to sponsor (joint-sponsor) you to come to the US.

Look over it and see what’s best to do. 

Check this out: https://www.visatutor.com/k-1-fiancee-visa-affidavit-support-form-134/

Have a great journey! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why a K1 if finances are an issue?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Have you met in person?

what state does he live in?

makes a big difference 

According to DOL (Department of Labor) the mininum wage of a waiter/waitress varies from the lowest (Oklahoma and several others) at $2.13 to (Washington the state ) at $13.50.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

Waiters depend on tips for majority of income and most like to get a cash tip (one not added to a charge card) so they can pocket and not claim the tip

He is going to have to claim every single dollar on his tax returns to get you even close to the income needed. And for the sake of the income requirement , don't think to have a child meantime.

Joint sponsor is recommended as many have said.

He'd be better off going to college or tech school at this point and using parents to help sponsorship

And many say marry and go the CR1 route 

yes,  takes time to do this but gives you time to build that relationship, know each other more and takes about the same time this day and age as the K1  We don't know what will happen in 2021 with this virus but you are still looking at 2 years with all the backlog and possible increase of AOS (with the K1) from $1225 to over $2000 after marriage here. From many past posts we have seen so  many that say "I didn't apply for AOS after marriage because of money, am i illegal,  can i still apply ?"

K1 have slowed down timewise even before the covid virus 

Guess i should add ''this coming from another oldie but a goodie"

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow I didn’t know that there’s such negativity in the community. Why do u all think we didn’t look at the requirements? Why do u think that we aren’t aware of all these expenses. That was rude. U talk like a marriage is just something only about money and I leave u with that mindset. But plz don’t tell me this. We are aware of everything u said below. The only useful advice is about joint sponsorship and thank you

1 hour ago, Vladislav667 said:

Wow I didn’t know that there’s such negativity in the community. Why do u all think we didn’t look at the requirements? Why do u think that we aren’t aware of all these expenses. That was rude. U talk like a marriage is just something only about money and I leave u with that mindset. But plz don’t tell me this. We are aware of everything u said below. The only useful advice is about joint sponsorship and thank you

How do we know you have thought this through? How do we know your background? How do we know yours and his family and their marital traditions? How do we know what any CO is going to deduce from the documents that you submit? How? Where is that rude? Oye Vy

No one is rude, we are here to help you, but we will occasional point out something that should be considered. Keep in mind that there are others out there that will read you question and look for an answer and this information is pertinent to them as well as you. 

We know a thing or two because we have seen a thing or two!  Hi-yo, SIL-VER... a-wayyyyyyyyy! 

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Because you are 20 years old....you might think you know everything....but you don't.......You are free to take advice or ignore it.  It's your choice and your consequences....

I have lived almost 3.5 times as long as you have.  I think that speaks for itself.

Rude?????? Hardly.......Honest?  Absolutely.

-Lucky Cat Out!!!

Edited by Lucky Cat

Timeline

Wow I didn’t know that there’s such negativity in the community.

Love is blind.  It sometimes hinders the ability of the average person to think rationally.  You are only 20 years old.  You have a long life ahead of you.  Use that time wisely.

- Old Man out.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.