Alexmat1

Delaying the Oath Taking after Interview

23 posts in this topic

Once the Citizenship interview is completed successfully, how long after that can one take the Oath, as in is there a deadline within which one needs to take the Oath , else you lose the opportunity and you have to start over again with the Citizenship process ?  I am asking, since I might need many more months to settle some matters back in my country which needs me to be a citizen of that country till its accomplished. It could be easily 10 months to 2 years given the delays in government offices and what I am trying to achieve needs many approvals from the government offices. So I am trying to see if its ok that I can take an Oath after 2 years though I completed my Citizenship interview.
Thanks

So you are now a citizen of somewhere that does not allow dual citizenship I presume, or this wouldn’t  be an issue?

You don’t get to schedule the oath ceremony. They do it for you. As above, if you miss 2 you can be deemed to have abandoned the case.  There is no way they will take 10 months or more to do that. The smarter move would seem to be to delay applying for citizenship until you are ready. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Begs the question  "hasn't the person abandoned his LPR status if he/she stays for 2 years  out of the country?"

Edited by JeanneAdil

4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Begs the question  "hasn't the person abandoned his LPR status if he/she stays for 2 years  out of the country?"

I didnt mean I would stay out of the country, thats an assumption. I meant I would need to the keep the citizenship of the other country while staying in US.

8 hours ago, geowrian said:

I'm unaware of a hard time limit, but USCIS works at USCIS timelines. If they assign a date for the Oath, you need to provide a valid reason to delay it. Miss the ceremony and they may deny the N-400. Really it's supposed to be missing 2 ceremonies, though (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-4).

Delaying it for several months to 2 years is likely impractical. Just because you passed the interview doesn't mean you couldn't later become ineligible (i.e. via a criminal offense or violation of GMC).

If you are unable or unwilling to naturalize on their schedule, honestly the best thing is to not start the process until you are ready.

Thanks. This was helpful, the reference to USCIS information pointing to missing ceremony. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Alexmat1 said:

I didnt mean I would stay out of the country, thats an assumption. I meant I would need to the keep the citizenship of the other country while staying in US.

Thanks. This was helpful, the reference to USCIS information pointing to missing ceremony. 

I am asking, since I might need many more months to settle some matters back in my country which needs me to be a citizen of that country till its accomplished. It could be easily   10 months to 2 years given the delays in government offices and what I am trying to achieve needs many approvals from the government offices.   

that statement implies you intend to stay 10 months to possible 2 years 

Please state exactly what you may need to do to get good replies here 

including the other country involved as the individuals from that country can best assist you

you may want to consider the following:

A reentry permit establishes that you did not intend to abandon status, and it allows you to apply for admission to the United States after traveling abroad for up to 2 years without having to obtain a returning resident visa. Reentry permits are normally valid for 2 years from the date of issuance.

As for the oath ceremony part that has been answered above 

Your document to take the oath has questions on the reverse side about "new possible " criminal activity which you sign at the oath itself so immigration covers that issue with those questions and the oath you will take

Good luck 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do you have to renounce citizenship in your country before becoming USC? 

Even that your country doesn't recognize dual citizenship (which country?) it doesn't mean that you can't have two.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Do you have to renounce citizenship in your country before becoming USC? 

Even that your country doesn't recognize dual citizenship (which country?) it doesn't mean that you can't have two.

Yes, this! It's worth finding out. Chile for example doesn't allow dual citizenship with the US but they don't ask you to renounce anything. You're just American in the US and Chilean in Chile but never both at the same time for legal purposes.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
54 minutes ago, cosmonauts said:

Yes, this! It's worth finding out. Chile for example doesn't allow dual citizenship with the US but they don't ask you to renounce anything. You're just American in the US and Chilean in Chile but never both at the same time for legal purposes.

Similar to the US actually. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. You are only a US citizen as far as the US is concerned. Your citizenship with another country has nothing to do with the US government unless of course you work for that foreign government. Honestly I don't see what the OP is worried about hence why it may make sense for them to disclose more e.g. the reason? which country? etc. Difficult giving vague information in a question and expecting to receive targeted answers.

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

Well this is an “official” - if not legal - position on dual nationality insofar as it is published on the Dept of State website:

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one nationality or another. A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship. However, persons who acquire a foreign nationality after age 18 by applying for it may relinquish their U.S. nationality if they wish to do so. In order to relinquish U.S. nationality by virtue of naturalization as a citizen of a foreign state, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign nationality voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. nationality. Intent may be shown by the person’s statements and conduct.

Dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce its laws. It is important to note the problems attendant to dual nationality. Claims of other countries upon U.S. dual-nationals often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts of the U.S. Government to provide consular protection to them when they are abroad, especially when they are in the country of their second nationality.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

17 hours ago, Alexmat1 said:

Once the Citizenship interview is completed successfully, how long after that can one take the Oath, as in is there a deadline within which one needs to take the Oath , else you lose the opportunity and you have to start over again with the Citizenship process ?  I am asking, since I might need many more months to settle some matters back in my country which needs me to be a citizen of that country till its accomplished. It could be easily 10 months to 2 years given the delays in government offices and what I am trying to achieve needs many approvals from the government offices. So I am trying to see if its ok that I can take an Oath after 2 years though I completed my Citizenship interview.
Thanks

Assuming the possibility of delaying Oath for 2 years, when you come back you will be asked if you have travelled after your interview and how long did you stay outside the US. Here you will be outside US for more than six months and loose your eligibility for citizenship. I suggest that you consult an immigration lawyer before you take a decision.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Post advocating deception by omission removed along with post quoting.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.