BBQKangaroo

IR1/CR1 appointment deprioritized for diversity interview slots

23 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Just received an email in the middle of the night 5 days before my husband's scheduled interview.

"Dear visa appointment holder, 

We regret to inform you that we need to reschedule your visa interview that was previously scheduled on September 22, 2020.  A recent court order in litigation unrelated to your case has required us to prioritize Diversity Visa (DV) immigrant applications through the end of the fiscal year, September 30, 2020.   Certain embassies and consulates have had to reschedule visa applicants in other visa categories to prioritize DV applicants in adherence with the court order.

Your appointment has been rescheduled for October 6, 2020......."

Very frustrated as we have spent so much time planning and traveling for him to be there, especially with all of the COVID restrictions. This seems to have come at the worst time as we probably won't be refunded for travel costs. Has this happened to anyone else? My mind is blown that diversity visas are being prioritized over immediate relatives being reunited with family during a global pandemic.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
17 minutes ago, BBQKangaroo said:

Hello all,

Just received an email in the middle of the night 5 days before my husband's scheduled interview.

We regret to inform you that we need to reschedule your visa interview that was previously scheduled on September 22, 2020.  A recent court order in litigation unrelated to your case has required us to prioritize Diversity Visa (DV) immigrant applications through the end of the fiscal year, September 30, 2020.   Certain embassies and consulates have had to reschedule visa applicants in other visa categories to prioritize DV applicants in adherence with the court order.

Very frustrated as we have spent so much time planning and traveling for him to be there, especially with all of the COVID restrictions. This seems to have come at the worst time as we probably won't be refunded for travel costs. Has this happened to anyone else? My mind is blown that diversity visas are being prioritized over immediate relatives being reunited with family during a global pandemic.

Don't be frustrated. Its only 19 days away.

Yes, it's not the worst case scenario, but he will be missing a family wedding and plane tickets are increasingly harder to find. 5 days is just very short notice for a reschedule.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, BBQKangaroo said:

Yes, it's not the worst case scenario, but he will be missing a family wedding and plane tickets are increasingly harder to find. 5 days is just very short notice for a reschedule.

Not discouraging you but just curious How are you so sure he’d be given visa right away on spot at time of interview? Many times cases go in AP..? If I were you I wouldn’t book a flight unless I have the visa in hand.. 🤔

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Most major airlines have cancelled change fees on airlines. It is positive you got an interview date and were't just place in a black hole of unknown. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

1 hour ago, Lexushim said:

Not discouraging you but just curious How are you so sure he’d be given visa right away on spot at time of interview? Many times cases go in AP..? If I were you I wouldn’t book a flight unless I have the visa in hand.. 🤔

Under the advice of our immigration lawyer! Nonetheless we won't be booking his ticket back to the US until he has his passport back. I was speaking in regards to his flight there (he wasn't currently in the country his interview was scheduled).

55 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Most major airlines have cancelled change fees on airlines. It is positive you got an interview date and were't just place in a black hole of unknown. 

Yes, and silver lining to the COVID situation!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline
20 hours ago, BBQKangaroo said:

Hello all,

I understand the frustration, but at least you were immediately given a new interview, and it's immediately after the DV processing ends. All Embassies strongly advise against making any travel plans prior to having visa in hand so that's another point - immediate visa issuance is never guaranteed.

Diversity visa numbers expire on September 30th. To clarify: Each lottery winner will lose their spot on September 30th and will not have the chance to immigrate to the US. I'm sure you understand that this is a pretty significant impact on people. Your IV is just delayed by a little bit, but the right to immigrate is not taken away by waiting a couple more weeks.

I give kudos to that Embassy for taking this serious and trying to process all DV winners before the expiration date of their "spot". Many other Embassies are not that helpful.

Good luck with the interview in October :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
19 hours ago, Lexushim said:

Australia is not known for extended AP.....but you are correct that flights should not be booked until a visa has been issued and checked for accuracy.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
22 hours ago, BBQKangaroo said:

Hello all,

Never arrange travel until visa is in hand.    

Its a court order, USCIS has no choice but to follow the court order.

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULE:  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
23 hours ago, BBQKangaroo said:

My mind is blown that diversity visas are being prioritized over immediate relatives being reunited with family during a global pandemic.

I know this affects you directly, with the travel costs and logistics.  That sucks, but ultimately it is just a delay for you - you are already rescheduled?

But the DV priority is driven by 2 things - the court order, and by law that restricts processing DV to the current fiscal year, which ends on Sept 30.  If the DV awardees do not get their visa's by Sept 30,  I believe they loose out and will need to see if they luck out again in the next year's "lottery".

Imagine someone who applied 5, 10, 15 or more years, was notified that they were selected for the DV, only to not get it and be told they need to see if next year they will luck out again....

Edited by SteveInBostonI130
typo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
23 hours ago, BBQKangaroo said:

Hello all,

Yes Diversity.

Good news is that there are only 50,000 DV cases worldwide and some got interviewed before consulates shutdown.  And good that they have to be done before 9/30.  The consulates will be done with DV for a while.

Bad news is that you broke the Golden Rule of Immigration by making travel plans before the visa is issued.  I've seen people burned because of medical clearances, emergency closures at consulate, stikes and random things.   We even got delayed because we couldn't pickup our passport due to washed out road.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

18 hours ago, Lighthouse111 said:

So sorry, must be really difficult for you both. Hang in there! You're so close!

Thanks so much! Means a lot :)

22 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

Good news is that there are only 50,000 DV cases worldwide and some got interviewed before consulates shutdown.  And good that they have to be done before 9/30.  The consulates will be done with DV for a while.

Bad news is that you broke the Golden Rule of Immigration by making travel plans before the visa is issued.  I've seen people burned because of medical clearances, emergency closures at consulate, stikes and random things.   We even got delayed because we couldn't pickup our passport due to washed out road.

Yeah I understand! I was referring to his flights there as he is no longer living in the country he was studying in due to COVID. We haven't bought tickets back to the U.S. thankfully :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.