Louis61404

Trump's new immigration order coming

52 posts in this topic

Trump just announced that within the next four weeks he will be rolling out an Executive Order on immigration (yes, another one).  He mentioned it will be "merit based" and include things for DACA.  

His previous merit based proposal in 2019 that didn't move forward eliminated all family based immigration except for spouses and minor children (of USC and LPR), while utilizing the merit based system for all the other green cards.  Not interested in spreading rumors or starting panic - but there's another order coming.  No one will really know until it is signed, but he's moving towards merit based.  It will be done as an Executive Order, so although there will be the legal challenges from Democrats, it appears it won't go through congress like a bill.  But as always, there will be challenges from the other side!

Surely reports will be out very soon from leaks of exactly what it will contain, but there's no leaks yet, he just announced it.

Edited by Louis61404

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I saw the video from meet the press on twitter and he talks spefically about DACA and a road to citizenship saying that the supreme court has given him more power to do those things. Let's hope it doesn't affect us even more than it's already affecting.

Edited by mvasantos

50 minutes ago, mvasantos said:

I saw the video from meet the press on twitter and he talks spefically about DACA and a road to citizenship saying that the supreme court has given him more power to do those things. Let's hope it doesn't affect us even more than it's already affecting.

Yes, but it’s attached to a merit based immigration system replacing family based.

10 minutes ago, stringpuller said:

I still think he will leave spouses and children exempt. Other family though could be affected? 

Yes, definitely.  Spouse and minor child of USC and LPR were exempt from his first merit based attempt in 2019.  The other categories are in serious danger though, as they look to give those limited amounts of green cards to merit based applicants.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Louis61404 said:

Yes, definitely.  Spouse and minor child of USC and LPR were exempt from his first merit based attempt in 2019.  The other categories are in serious danger though, as they look to give those limited amounts of green cards to merit based applicants.

Looks that way

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

This is so scary. Me and my husband have not sent in our application yet so I hope that this will not affect us. 

AOS

08/25/2020 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using USPS                                         11/06/2020 - Received physical receipt notice for I-765 in the mail

08/28/2020 - Package was received by USCIS                                                                                                   12/15/2020 - Online account updated and indicated the I-944 RFIE was sent

09/25/2020 - Debit Card was charged by USCIS                                                                                                 12/28/2020 - Recieved the I-944 RFIE via e-mail after speaking with a tier 2 officer

09/29/2020 - Recieved text notifications from USCIS with reciept numbers                                                  1/11/2021 - Responded to the RFIE and sent the I-944 to USCIS 

10/01/2020 - Recieved rejected I-765 back                                                                                                           3/3/2021 - Biometrics scheduled for 03/29

10/05/2020 - Recieved physical reciept notices in the mail

10/06/2020 - Sent I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using UPS

10/09/2020 - Package was recieved by USCIS

10/30/2020 - Recieved text notication from USCIS with reciept number for I-765

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
30 minutes ago, HKS said:

Does that mean like a point like system education level, wealth, connection with the country, language fluency, existing job offer, etc? 

Yes. There will be a system of allocating points for education etc. many countries such as Australia have used this type of system. Younger age is worth more points than older age , higher education more than only finishing High school etc.   unlikely that immediate family apart from spouse and dependent children will be retained. Very few countries have immigrant categories like parents and siblings. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

At this stage I will scream bring it on!! With the amount of burden placed on our souls these past months ...nothing would be surprising..what's the worst that can happen now?...even the toughest immigration system must allow families to be together. 

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

At this stage I will scream bring it on!! With the amount of burden placed on our souls these past months ...nothing would be surprising..what's the worst that can happen now?...even the toughest immigration system must allow families to be together. 

Yes and no. Tough immigration systems don’t allow parents and siblings, which are family, together. Agree that nothing would be surprising now.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

21 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

How can he do that? I'm pretty sure only Congress can change the law. The president can't just change the whole immigration system with an executive order. 

It appears that he believes after the Supreme Court ruling on DACA recently, in an EO he can do this - that is certainly up for debate.  But that is his and his administration's interpretation of the ruling.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.