Captain Ewok

Trump To Suspend H-1B and Other Visas Until End Of Year

122 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Detron said:

I think H1B visa needs to be re-evaluated and redone entirely. I don't support anything when it comes to Trump's radical ideas and the reasons behind them.

But H1B should not be seen as important to move (to any country for that matter) just for work vs. let's say asylum and political refugees, family/relatives, spouses, etc. H1B has been abused. I work within the IT sector and the H1B workforce is many times payed half the money the expertise, responsibilities and the long hours demand. That puts stress in the economy for the domestic IT experts who have to lower their salaries to meet the market. That is damaging on the long run, as less people will want to work in IT and re-educate or do something else entirely instead, since the profession will not help them pay off student loan debts and begin a new life and career on top of it.

In other words it's killing the IT industry (and other industries).

You can call it modern day corporational slavery. Unfortunately, it took a person like Trump to do something about it, again.. for the wrong reasons, to see results in that. Let's hope a more serious administration in the future picks that up from there and does something good out of it... more controlled, checked and a more reliable system that doesn't stress the market and demands on our IT experts.

I agree with you. I think this administration is acting from a xenophobic point of view but H1B is highly problematic. It's exploitation way too often. 

I think a completely new system needs to be set up. Something like a work permit given to people holding qualifications that there is a shortage of and those people should be able to quit their job without having to reapply for the work permit and lose their status. That will make employers actually compete for workers. Or a temporary solution where instead of using a lottery, you award visas to those with the highest salaries. 

1 hour ago, Amy6 said:

Really sorry for anyone whose plans got affected by this. I know that right now K1 visas are not affected but does anyone else also think that they probably will put a ban on these as well soon? I have a flight in 2 weeks, thinking about moving it closer idk what to think rn😕

I'm unaware of any plans for additional restrictions, but obviously anything can happen.

None of the EOs thus far have impacted existing visas.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

its crazy we family my parents in ap since 2016 june and we need to wait now until this year    and maybe more if the ban keep on we f3 imagine you ready in ceac and we wait just for my parent just cz they in ap it crazy 4 years oh and the ceac from 2004 its hard to have hope after this and my brother get out from ceac cz he marriage and we have interview in april 11 2016 you know how to have hope and in one letter tell you in ap 

Edited by mahmoud qandil

I read somewhere that it includes new green cards as well as far as it being on a freeze not a ban until January.  Will this affect family-based green cards (immigrant married to USC) that are waiting on interviews prior to COVID?

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

2 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

I read somewhere that it includes new green cards as well as far as it being on a freeze not a ban until January.  Will this affect family-based green cards (immigrant married to USC) that are waiting on interviews prior to COVID?

it does not affect anyone currently within US. 

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
18 hours ago, James120383 said:

it does not affect anyone currently within US. 

It shouldn't affect the green card process for people married to US citizens at all, should it? I mean, other than things moving way slower because USCIS is running out of money.

13 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

It shouldn't affect the green card process for people married to US citizens at all, should it? I mean, other than things moving way slower because USCIS is running out of money.

Correct

duh

Hello,

Recently saw this on a YouTube channel, a petition to Cancel The Proclamation Suspending Legal Immigration to the United States. It is on the White House website created by We The People. Link for whoever wants to sign it, share and help reach their 100,000 goal: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/cancellation-proclamation-suspending-legal-immigration-united-states-june-22-2020

Note: Don't know if this can make any change, but we have to try 😟.

5 hours ago, GN&PM said:

Hello,

Recently saw this on a YouTube channel, a petition to Cancel The Proclamation Suspending Legal Immigration to the United States. It is on the White House website created by We The People. Link for whoever wants to sign it, share and help reach their 100,000 goal: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/cancellation-proclamation-suspending-legal-immigration-united-states-june-22-2020

Note: Don't know if this can make any change, but we have to try 😟.

I don't think a guy who lost the popular vote by 3 million cares much about what people want.

Edited by Trutta

On 6/21/2020 at 8:50 PM, Trutta said:

Don't worry desperate impoverished Latinos ruined by the free trade agreement are still allowed in to pick vegetables on massive corporate owned farms for slave wages. Maids and nannys for the rich can still come too.

15,740 H2A issued last month in Monterrey, 5,985 in TIjuana. (that is more than half of the worldwide total of ALL NIV)  Looks like my apples will get picked!

But seriously my cousin still runs the old family farming operation and they still can't get enough full time or seasonal workers.  Free housing, benefits, board and wages higher than entry wages in the nearby anglo business.  They hire every American that applies.  They all quit because it is outside work ;)

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

2 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

15,740 H2A issued last month in Monterrey, 5,985 in TIjuana. (that is more than half of the worldwide total of ALL NIV)  Looks like my apples will get picked!

But seriously my cousin still runs the old family farming operation and they still can't get enough full time or seasonal workers.  Free housing, benefits, board and wages higher than entry wages in the nearby anglo business.  They hire every American that applies.  They all quit because it is outside work ;)

I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 500 dollars so I don't blame them.

On 6/25/2020 at 12:00 AM, Amy6 said:

Really sorry for anyone whose plans got affected by this. I know that right now K1 visas are not affected but does anyone else also think that they probably will put a ban on these as well soon? I have a flight in 2 weeks, thinking about moving it closer idk what to think rn😕

I mean things can change at any time but as someone who is flying out in two weeks also (as long as Australia grants my exemption) I am fairly confident that all will be well and I will be let in.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
8 hours ago, Cilllah said:

I mean things can change at any time but as someone who is flying out in two weeks also (as long as Australia grants my exemption) I am fairly confident that all will be well and I will be let in.

I honestly don't see them going after K1s. They'd probably keep the embassies from processing them instead.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Overly argumentative posts have been removed.  One member is fortunate to avoid administrative action for questioning Moderation decisions in public -- the protocol is to send the Moderator a PM.  Thanks for keeping this in mind in the future.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.