Davie92

How do i apply for emergency spouse visa?

69 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There are those here who do not know about the broader EO that restricts immigration and non-immigration visas from certain countries.  This EO was signed in 2017,  and updated twice, in 2018 and 2020.  It is not related to Covid-19.  

No immigration visas can be issued to Nigerian citizens.  At all.  No spouse, fiance, other immediate family, diversity, etc.  The only way the OP can be with his spouse is for her to go to Nigeria, unless he qualifies for "Special Immigrants whose eligibility is based on having provided assistance to the United States Government"

It is a bit tedious reading the 3 Proclamations to get a summary of the affected countries, but wikipedia has a table with current statuses (scroll down about 1/2 way):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13780#:~:text=Executive Order 13780%2C titled Protecting,Trump on March 6%2C 2017.&text=This executive order—sometimes called,issued on January 27%2C 2017.

2 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

No immigration visas can be issued to Nigerian citizens.  At all.  No spouse, fiance, other immediate family, diversity, etc.  The only way the OP can be with his spouse is for her to go to Nigeria, unless he qualifies for "Special Immigrants whose eligibility is based on having provided assistance to the United States Government"

This is the waiver most often recommended by the CO:

3(c)(iv) The foreign national seeks to enter the United States to visit or reside with a close family member (e.g., a spouse, child, or parent) who is a United States citizen, lawful permanent resident, or alien lawfully admitted on a valid nonimmigrant visa, and the denial of entry during the suspension period would cause undue hardship.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you for the correction.  I left out the possibility of a non-immigration visa as a valid option for the OP.    Nigerians are not banned from getting non-immigration visas.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 hours ago, April M said:

Obviously the surgery is priority and them being together is also a priority. The two are just as important. It is a human right for husband and wife to be together. I don't think people understand that. Help is exactly what we all ask and the people that can help sit on the case. Not an option right now is not true. It's a matter of doing the paper work. That's all that stands in the way of a simple human right as a married couple. Spouses are given the right to reunite with their spouse in the US it is all about doing the processing. That's it. 

Wishful thinking, human rights, has nothing to do with human rights. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 hours ago, April M said:

Obviously the surgery is priority and them being together is also a priority. The two are just as important. It is a human right for husband and wife to be together. I don't think people understand that. Help is exactly what we all ask and the people that can help sit on the case. Not an option right now is not true. It's a matter of doing the paper work. That's all that stands in the way of a simple human right as a married couple. Spouses are given the right to reunite with their spouse in the US it is all about doing the processing. That's it. 

sorry,  as i do know what you go thru (check out my timeline) 

but immigration does not enforce human rights (and/or any violations)

they are in charge of immigration rules and the laws governing them 

and the implementation of granting a visa is in  the control of the embassies with that being said,  at this time the embassies are only doing emergency services for USC's (problems involving lost passposts or a USC getting back home-and they have arranged for many USC's to get planes back here since the covid 19 issues)

1 hour ago, Paul & Mary said:

This is the waiver most often recommended by the CO:

3(c)(iv) The foreign national seeks to enter the United States to visit or reside with a close family member (e.g., a spouse, child, or parent) who is a United States citizen, lawful permanent resident, or alien lawfully admitted on a valid nonimmigrant visa, and the denial of entry during the suspension period would cause undue hardship.

I think only a small handful have been successful with that, even from the first bunch of countries that were banned in January 2017. The bar, it appears, is set very high. The same exists in the UK for those who are banned (such as my husband) but ours was thrown out before it even got started with the argument “British spouse should move to the USA if they want to be together”. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
19 hours ago, Davie92 said:

This is almost my case with my wife...it seems that they are deliberately keeping couples with good intentions apart..

It's depressing.

It would be great if "good intentions" which would mean reading someone's heart and mind was possible

but when reading posts here both immigrants and petitioners are often under the wrong impression of what life would be like when they lived together

and this has been seen by immigration personal who get letters saying "i want to send my husband /wife home"  or by divorce lawyers who are informed by an immigrant that they are abused and used as a servant.

Immigration rules/ laws are for protection of the USA and both immigrant and beneficary and the process is long (long enough for USCIS to see and to have proved to them that relationships are not just for a visa or to get a servant or any other reason other than you want the other person to be a lifetime partner.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

sorry,  as i do know what you go thru (check out my timeline) 

but immigration does not enforce human rights (and/or any violations)

they are in charge of immigration rules and the laws governing them 

and the implementation of granting a visa is in  the control of the embassies with that being said,  at this time the embassies are only doing emergency services for USC's (problems involving lost passposts or a USC getting back home-and they have arranged for many USC's to get planes back here since the covid 19 issues)

There has been fiance visas given out since the covid started. They have not been many and emergency visas as well. So that statement is not true. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Calicolom said:

Wishful thinking, human rights, has nothing to do with human rights. 

Why do you think spouse visa is in there, it is recognized as excepted. You can focus on the words human rights if you want but look at what they recognize. And to deny there is a reason always. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

I’m going to assume you aren’t that educated on the universal declaration of human rights because there isn’t a right for for husband and wife to be together in the US. It’s funny no one ever wants to move abroad to the spouses country yet argue there is a right to be together..I can see an easy fix.

No one said anything about living abroad being a problem. In fact if I had the choice it would not be a problem for me. But our circumstances are a humanitarian Aid issue. You are making the point that judgment can be made very easy without the knowledge needed to make the right decision. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

Same with us  / now married over 10 years but 5 of those to get the visa

and we were ready to move also and had checked it out and bought a house and now a brother in law lives in it 

it was a struggle before this virus and now is even harder 

all i can say is Much patience is needed

and i am so sorry for those of you going thru this but if you applied in beginning of 2020 ,  your journey has just started and it was taking 12 to 14 months before the covid 19     

and sorry to say Immigration doesn't care you are apart,  not important to the rules and laws they have to follow/  they don't care that pregnant women do this alone -  not because the officers are not human but they must follow their instructions and training and baring your personal life and finances to anyone one and having them decide your future is the most difficult part of this 

but each and every rule/ law was made because someone abused the system and now we all have to abide 

good luck to you all and God /  Allah bless you and keep you safe

Very sensible and kind comment. It is exactly like that. And done because of that very reason. Very good comment. Thank you.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:32 PM, April M said:

My husband and I were living together and they would not let him go with me when I had to be evacuated even though we paid to get a Visa they still denied.

Nobody pays to get a visa. Well, not legally at least. They pay a fee to apply and determine eligibility for the visa.

15 hours ago, April M said:

It's sitting on the desk or should I say computer waiting. Their is no reason for denial. That is the point. 

How do you know it's just sitting on a desk/computer? It could very well be pending results from other parties (such as background checks or an investigation).

15 hours ago, April M said:

It is a human right for husband and wife to be together. I don't think people understand that.

It is not a right recognized by the US government, and they are the ones for which a visa is being requested.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

With regard to "simple human rights..." it is you who lacks understanding.  Don't confuse desire with a right.  NOBODY has a "right" to immigrate to the US.  It is a privilege with actual requirements and a process to follow.  Sounds like you and your husband were already together.  Unless you were forcibly removed from each other, it sounds like circumstances prompted you to make a decision to leave the place you were together.  He has no "right" to enter the US, without going through a visa process, where a decision is made about eligibility under US law.

Just to add:  the only "right" that pertains here is the right of a USC to petition an alien spouse for an immigrant visa.  

Timeline
On 6/20/2020 at 5:08 PM, April M said:

There has been fiance visas given out since the covid started. They have not been many and emergency visas as well. So that statement is not true. 

In Australia but please open the site and read paragraph 3 as to what this admistration thinks when he talks about immigrants from Africa

trying only to help as my husband is from Africa (Morocco) and our visa took us 6 years 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.