AjT1

Case waiting to be scheduled for an interview... Then covid-19...

32 posts in this topic

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else in in a similar situation as myself, imagine there are many who are and many more who are in worse situation than me due to everything going on with covid-19. 

I came over to the US in November on a K1 visa, got married in December and then sent off the I-485 form to adjust my status in February. In March I checked my case status online line and it said "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview." Today it still says the same thing. 

Now I know that all face to face interviews have been delayed due to the effect of Covid-19 but I have not received any communication in the mail, or online, from USCIS since the case status changed. 

If you are in a similar situation to myself, have you received anything from USCIS? Does anyone know if they are planing on skipping the interview stage, as I expect there is going to be a considerable backlog, and just issue green cards?

I know something such as this hasn't happened in modern history so answers will be purely guess work but I thought I might as well ask...  

25 minutes ago, AjT1 said:

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else in in a similar situation as myself, imagine there are many who are and many more who are in worse situation than me due to everything going on with covid-19. 

I came over to the US in November on a K1 visa, got married in December and then sent off the I-485 form to adjust my status in February. In March I checked my case status online line and it said "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview." Today it still says the same thing. 

Ready To Be Scheduled just means the NBC has finished previewing your application and has now sent it to your Local Field Office to sit in line for an interview. That line can be weeks, months, or years long (and that is not related to COVID19, that's the normal).

HOW LONG depends on your LFOs processing times. You can look up which one is your LFO here by inputting your zipcode in the top box ONLY, pressing search and then reading the name at the top of the resulting seach. 

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

THEN you can look up the estimated processing times for THAT LFO by using the USCIS processing times website by inputting I485 and your LFO determined in the last step, scrolling to the very bottom and looking for the estimated times for family based adjustments. That will be the estimated time from Noa1 to your interview.

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Now I know that all face to face interviews have been delayed due to the effect of Covid-19 but I have not received any communication in the mail, or online, from USCIS since the case status changed. 

And you will not get anything in the mail or online until your interview has been scheduled. Your case status will change to "Interview has been scheduled" when it has and you will receive your interview appointment notice in the mail. When that will happen is dependent on the above timeline determined at your LFO.

If you are in a similar situation to myself, have you received anything from USCIS? Does anyone know if they are planing on skipping the interview stage, as I expect there is going to be a considerable backlog, and just issue green cards?

There is a 99.99999% chance that will never happen.

I know something such as this hasn't happened in modern history so answers will be purely guess work but I thought I might as well ask...  

Edited by K1visaHopeful

The interview being waived for AOS from K visas has happened to a few people very recently. No way to know if these are one-offs or a trend, or how common it is.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

39 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Actually a couple of recent reports that it may in fact be happening 

Then you can include those in my 0.00001% prediction for now.

6 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Then you can include those in my 0.00001% prediction for now.

That equates to roughly ~0.05 cases out of the 600k AOS applications USCIS handles annually (less if you only consider family-based, and much much less if you only count AOS from K). We've seen 3 on VJ in the past week. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

That equates to roughly ~0.05 cases out of the 600k AOS applications USCIS handles annually (less if you only consider family-based, and much much less if you only count AOS from K). We've seen 3 on VJ in the past week. 🤷‍♂️

Tag me in the 3 please.

1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Tag me in the 3 please.

Unfortunately I was only able to find 2 of them via the search. The other one was not a separate thread but a comment posted to an existing thread, and I am getting nothing on the site search. :( I'll keep a watch and tag you.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/736521-green-card-no-interviewcould-this-be-an-error/

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/736700-i485-approval-no-interview/

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

5 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Unfortunately I was only able to find 2 of them via the search. The other one was not a separate thread but a comment posted to an existing thread, and I am getting nothing on the site search. :( I'll keep a watch and tag you.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/736521-green-card-no-interviewcould-this-be-an-error/

Awesome! Thanks!

12 hours ago, AjT1 said:

Hello,

it’s definitely possible, as there are reports on here of K1s with pending AOS receiving their green cards without an interview. I’ve got a pending AOS from a K1 too and I’m definitely watching this like a hawk. Whether this is just something they’re doing very temporarily and only with certain cases, it’s hard to say.

We’ll have to wait and see how USCIS behaves. It’s clear they’re making the same kind of drastic adjustments the rest of the world is having to though. It really could go either way I think. The next few weeks should tell us if they’re waiving interviews for the duration of the pandemic, so keep checking your online case status and checking back here as well. 

8 hours ago, geowrian said:

The third person is on another immigration site not VJ! Also that third person was a J1 Visa not K1!

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

I have no explanation why our interview was waived. There is nothing out of the norm about my case, some have eluded to the fact of the long K1 processing time of our case, but I really don't know. I am not sure of the similarities between me and the other VJer to get waived. I wished I could put it together. Perhaps if someone would want to try to find a correlation I'd be happy to participate.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

19 hours ago, AjT1 said:

Hello,

The more important question is do you have a EAD card and a job?  A Green Card is a nice to have, but in this situation not absolutely necessary.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.