JuliaMary

I485 approval - no interview?

32 posts in this topic

My husband and I's interview for his permanent residency was scheduled for March 30th, then got cancelled because of COVID-19.

The notice said they would reach out to us for it be rescheduled.

Then today we received notice that his green card should be here within 90 days. Does that mean we do not have an interview anymore? 

I thought the interview was now requited for them to process/approve the green card officially. 

Thank you! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JuliaMary said:

My husband and I's interview for his permanent residency was scheduled for March 30th, then got cancelled because of COVID-19.

Then today we received notice that his green card should be here within 90 days. Does that mean we do not have an interview anymore? 

I thought the interview was now requited for them to process/approve the green card officially. 

Thank you! 

Your the second report.   K1s could receive a GC without interview but policy was changed a couple years ago.   Its becoming more apparent that policy may have changed again 

PS.  This is an AOS situation and more appropriate in the AOS forum 

YMMV

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Your the second report.   K1s could receive a GC without interview but policy was changed a couple years ago.   Its becoming more apparent that policy may have changed again 

PS.  This is an AOS situation and more appropriate in the AOS forum 

Okay thank you!!

I can't figure out how to move it to another forum... Sorry. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yeah when I came here on a K-1 in 2016, many K-1 AOS filers (the majority even?) didn't get an interview. Then they changed it a couple of years later so every K-1er had to be interviewed for AOS. Now, because of covid-19, it seems like they are back to the old ways again where many K-1ers have their interviews waived for AOS. It makes sense, all the AOS cases would just pile up otherwise since they can't interview anyone anyway. So may as well approved them without an interview the way they used to do it a couple of years years ago.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS Family K1/K3, from K1 P&P - as this is now an AOS topic~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

12 hours ago, JuliaMary said:

Thank you! 

We just received an approval notice for the GC 4/3/2020, so our interview was waived. Our status changed to reflex card being produced and case was approved our interview was scheduled for April 17th. I am not sure about the part when you said your GC would be here within 90 days as it does not take that long once your case has been approved. What exactly did your message say and has your status changed? Even without an interview your case has to be approved first and the new card produced, so that is what you are looking for. Hopefully this will work in your favor like it did ours!!!!

Please update your time line as it still shows K1 entrees with no AOS information. It would help others to be able to see it.

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

I have a feeling that USCIS is gearing up to approve more cases with the interview waived. As pointed out it would make sense for them to do that to avoid a HUGE backlog and bottleneck. Let's hope it works out to all our favors if they continue to do this!!!!!

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This looks like the second one in a week, only downside is in 2 years when they have to do interviews for ROC. Because the old way was no interview for AOS, pretty much guaranteed a interview for ROC. Things will back up again, but kicking the can down the road is SOP in government operations. LOL

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

38 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

This looks like the second one in a week, only downside is in 2 years when they have to do interviews for ROC. Because the old way was no interview for AOS, pretty much guaranteed a interview for ROC. Things will back up again, but kicking the can down the road is SOP in government operations. LOL

Yeah interview now or later is fine better for me if later! 😀

Citizenship Complete!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Yeah interview now or later is fine better for me if later! 😀

Did you get the tracking number yet, or green card in your case, I forgot to check back on that post.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

33 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Did you get the tracking number yet, or green card in your case, I forgot to check back on that post.

I got the approval  letter yesterday. I guess the GC will come in a few days.

Citizenship Complete!

I wonder how long this is going to go on for. My local office is really backed up (Seattle) and so under normal processing times the earliest my interview would take place is May (14 months since filing my I485) and the latest would be around Dec/Jan 2021. If the processing times on here are accurate and up to date (says 459 days from file date to interview and I’m at 396) then I should expect to have my case adjudicated in the next few months. Do we have any info as to how long USCIS is going to be closed to the public? I’m assuming they’re going to be waiving K1 interviews for the duration of the pandemic then. I notice there are only

28 records for Seattle so I’m wondering if how much I can rely on the VJ timelines? 

It’s not that I mind the interview but if it saves me a trip into Seattle that sure would be nice. 

Edited by Cndn

8 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

We just received an approval notice for the GC 4/3/2020, so our interview was waived. Our status changed to reflex card being produced and case was approved our interview was scheduled for April 17th. I am not sure about the part when you said your GC would be here within 90 days as it does not take that long once your case has been approved. What exactly did your message say and has your status changed? Even without an interview your case has to be approved first and the new card produced, so that is what you are looking for. Hopefully this will work in your favor like it did ours!!!!

Please update your time line as it still shows K1 entrees with no AOS information. It would help others to be able to see it.

The notice we got in the mail said approval and the card should be here within 90 days.

Then online it said by April 21st we would receive it and then late yesterday it said card was mailed. 

5 minutes ago, JuliaMary said:

The notice we got in the mail said approval and the card should be here within 90 days.

Then online it said by April 21st we would receive it and then late yesterday it said card was mailed. 

Ahhh that's great then. I wonder what the criteria is for them to waive the interview. I'm guessing that you'd have to have an interview date and then it would have to have been cancelled, but don't take that as fact I'm just speculating.

Reading over the I-797 Notice of Action (closer), we got it does say if you have not received your card within 90 days! But it rarely takes that long. Congrats to you!!!!

Edited by Sarge2155

Citizenship Complete!

13 minutes ago, Sarge2155 said:

Ahhh that's great then. I wonder what the criteria is for them to waive the interview. I'm guessing that you'd have to have an interview date and then it would have to have been cancelled, but don't take that as fact I'm just speculating.

Reading over the I-797 Notice of Action (closer), we got it does say if you have not received your card within 90 days! But it rarely takes that long. Congrats to you!!!!

Thank you!! I'm not sure either. My husband and I have been very surprised with this whole process, as it's almost been (I hate to say it), easy. We got very lucky I guess, and I am definitely thankful! 

Congrats to you as well!! 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.