igoyougoduke

Supreme Court allows Trump administration to move forward with 'public charge' rule (merged)

373 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
2 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

If you are an immigrant and NOT on any governmental benefits you have no need to worry. What’s wrong with being able to support yourself? 

Many migrating here in search of support in mind. And there are people working for cash and never wanting to pay tax and wanting to suck up benefits.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

As I have read it as well you are good to go because your son who is the USC is the one on Medicaid and not your husband. 

Great thanks! 

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Hmmm wonderful the greatest country in the world thinks a few thousand hard working immigrants are going to mooch off the couple of hundred dollars paid for medical aid. Hmm when are the wallstreet crooks . that steal billions going to Gitmo ? asking for a friend 

Some one saying immigrants mooch off America just look at the budget. Billions and Trillions wasted every year on useless wars 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States

Edited by Donald120383

duh

8 minutes ago, Donald120383 said:

Hmmm wonderful the greatest country in the world thinks a few thousand hard working immigrants are going to mooch off the couple of hundred dollars paid for medical aid. Hmm when are the wallstreet crooks . that steal billions going to Gitmo ? asking for a friend 

Some one saying immigrants mooch off America just look at the budget. Billions and Trillions wasted every year on useless wars 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States

A few thousand??? The official estimate is 11 million illegals in the USA while other studies have it pegged at 22 million. 

I have known many illegals and GC holders using public benefits when I lived in CA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

I’m just wondering how this applies to people adjusting from k1 to green card. How are they supposed to show financial stability other than a sponsor if they aren’t permitted to work at the time of filing? Would more proof need to be shown at the interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, emma24 said:

How are they supposed to show financial stability other than a sponsor if they aren’t permitted to work at the time of filing?

The US Government does not want immigrants depending on government benefits. The sponsor/petitioner is completely separate from that, and you shouldn't have a problem as long as none of you depend on public assistance: welfare, food stamps, etc.

4 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

I think it’s a good thing.. governments can’t keep giving tax payer dollars away, especially to those without a history of having paid taxes in the first place, it’s unsustainable 

Exactly.  

That or they'll start doing what Australia does and charge OBSCENE amounts to process a visa if you're allowed access to things like Centrelink and Medicare right away - it's over $7,000 for an Australian partner visa. I believe that if you're trying to get a visa to bring an elderly parent (who won't ever work) to the country it's well over $40,000 per person as a "contributary fee" since they're pre-paying into the system. 

6 hours ago, Donald120383 said:

it will become a reason to justify rejections until than 

Public charge rejections are already used at the discretion of the CO, how will this change that?

44 minutes ago, emma24 said:

I’m just wondering how this applies to people adjusting from k1 to green card. How are they supposed to show financial stability other than a sponsor if they aren’t permitted to work at the time of filing? Would more proof need to be shown at the interview?

What more proof?  The K-1 immigrant already doesn't need any personal funds or assets.  All of that falls to the petitioner for both AOS, and in many cases, at the consulate interview.

COs at consulate interviews may already take an immigrant's financial situation, work history, education etc into consideration when evaluating the public charge risk.

35 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Exactly.  

That or they'll start doing what Australia does and charge OBSCENE amounts to process a visa if you're allowed access to things like Centrelink and Medicare right away - it's over $7,000 for an Australian partner visa. I believe that if you're trying to get a visa to bring an elderly parent (who won't ever work) to the country it's well over $40,000 per person as a "contributary fee" since they're pre-paying into the system. 

My parents lived and worked here for 20 yrs before going back to the uk in the 70’s.. little did they realise that they’d never return.. they’ve tried twice now to come back, sponsored first by my uncle and then by myself.. they were flat out denied for public liability.. and they’d paid 20 yrs of taxes here..! They’re fully self funded retirees and have plenty of assets etc, it’s crazy hard to get in this country.. i be damned if I wait up to 7 yrs to get hubby here, and yes $7000 Application.. hence my going to him.. 

cant blame trump for implementing this, honestly don’t see why not, everyone else is.

Edited by Duke & Marie

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.