abdo1

writ of mandamus

41 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

hi everyone please can someone tell me the steps to file writ of mandamus to US consulate in casablanca from florida  ? i do not want to use a lawyer, what forms or how to apply to federal court, any suggestions looking forward hearing your replies...

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A WoM, especially against the consulate, is not something I would recommend without the assistance of a lawyer. This is a highly technical process outside the realm of somebody not experienced in this area of law.

okay thank you, do you know what are steps to file it ?

13 minutes ago, abdo1 said:

okay thank you, do you know what are steps to file it ?

It starts by filing a complaint with the federal court that has jurisdiction. That alone can be difficult to correctly ascertain for a case held by DOS. Few courts are willing to even consider consular decisions, or lack thereof, under their judicial review.

Sorry I can't be of much help here, but this is really a question for an experienced lawyer that deals with WoMs. There is a reason they typically charge in the 5 digits for this kind of work as it is more complex and specialized than most activities.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Writ of Mandamus. A Writ of Mandamus is a lawsuit filed against a government agency that asks the court to force the agency to fulfill its mandated duties. Basically, that means you sue the government to make sure that it does it's duty of deciding your immigration case.

A regular citizen cannot issue his own Writ of Mandate, he can only request or petition an authority to do so. The mandamus is a discretionary, equitable remedy, which must be made in good faith. ... The citizen can file a Petition for Writ of Mandate to a court to enforce an action required by law.

(1) A party petitioning for a writ of mandamus or prohibition directed to a court must file a petition with the circuit clerk with proof of service on all parties to the proceeding in the trial court. The party must also provide a copy to the trial-court judge. All parties to the proceeding in the trial court other than the petitioner are respondents for all purposes.

(2)(A) The petition must be titled “In re [name of petitioner].”

(B) The petition must state:

(i) the relief sought;

(ii) the issues presented;

(iii) the facts necessary to understand the issue presented by the petition; and

(iv) the reasons why the writ should issue.

(C) The petition must include a copy of any order or opinion or parts of the record that may be essential to understand the matters set forth in the petition.

(3) Upon receiving the prescribed docket fee, the clerk must docket the petition and submit it to the court.

(b) Denial; Order Directing Answer; Briefs; Precedence.

(1) The court may deny the petition without an answer. Otherwise, it must order the respondent, if any, to answer within a fixed time.

You do realize this will take time to go thru the court system AND could result in the embassy giving you a decision NOT IN YOUR FAVOR

they asked for your chats from 2014 and 2015 / they are allowed to ask for anything that reinforces your claim of when you met and started this relationship   The Casa embassy just sent a case (after the case was reaffirmed by USCIS a year ago) back to the USCIS for a IR1 when they could not produce any of the chat history for 2013 that was claimed as meeting by the 2 involved.  Basically you have to be able to prove what was stated in the application about meeting and chatting.

Get that chat history and prove what you need to prove to the embassy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Like others have said, a writ is not something you can successfully do on your own. I used to think that filing a writ was a waste of money, but over the past year I've seen at least 5 cases (in Casablanca) where a visa was issued after a writ was filed. All of them used the same firm, Hacking Law. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

This sounds extremely expensive.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

Like others have said, a writ is not something you can successfully do on your own. I used to think that filing a writ was a waste of money, but over the past year I've seen at least 5 cases (in Casablanca) where a visa was issued after a writ was filed. All of them used the same firm, Hacking Law. 

thank you i will contact hacking law

Timeline
16 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Writ of Mandamus. A Writ of Mandamus is a lawsuit filed against a government agency that asks the court to force the agency to fulfill its mandated duties. Basically, that means you sue the government to make sure that it does it's duty of deciding your immigration case.

A regular citizen cannot issue his own Writ of Mandate, he can only request or petition an authority to do so. The mandamus is a discretionary, equitable remedy, which must be made in good faith. ... The citizen can file a Petition for Writ of Mandate to a court to enforce an action required by law.

(1) A party petitioning for a writ of mandamus or prohibition directed to a court must file a petition with the circuit clerk with proof of service on all parties to the proceeding in the trial court. The party must also provide a copy to the trial-court judge. All parties to the proceeding in the trial court other than the petitioner are respondents for all purposes.

(2)(A) The petition must be titled “In re [name of petitioner].”

(B) The petition must state:

(i) the relief sought;

(ii) the issues presented;

(iii) the facts necessary to understand the issue presented by the petition; and

(iv) the reasons why the writ should issue.

(C) The petition must include a copy of any order or opinion or parts of the record that may be essential to understand the matters set forth in the petition.

(3) Upon receiving the prescribed docket fee, the clerk must docket the petition and submit it to the court.

(b) Denial; Order Directing Answer; Briefs; Precedence.

(1) The court may deny the petition without an answer. Otherwise, it must order the respondent, if any, to answer within a fixed time.

You do realize this will take time to go thru the court system AND could result in the embassy giving you a decision NOT IN YOUR FAVOR

they asked for your chats from 2014 and 2015 / they are allowed to ask for anything that reinforces your claim of when you met and started this relationship   The Casa embassy just sent a case (after the case was reaffirmed by USCIS a year ago) back to the USCIS for a IR1 when they could not produce any of the chat history for 2013 that was claimed as meeting by the 2 involved.  Basically you have to be able to prove what was stated in the application about meeting and chatting.

Get that chat history and prove what you need to prove to the embassy

thank you for the info i already provided the chats and another joint sponsor last september 2019, also my wife lived with me from 2015 to june 2019 so we did not use too much chat  cause we were living together already sent proofs of living together , i attended 2 interviews first one was march 2019 second one was august thats when they asked for another sponsor and chats which was already sent last september, they called me they said they have all required documents but still no decision yet , my medical expired last sept 14 2019.....

Edited by abdo1

35 minutes ago, abdo1 said:

thank you for the info i already provided the chats and another joint sponsor last september 2019, also my wife lived with me from 2015 to june 2019 so we did not use too much chat  cause we were living together already sent proofs of living together , i attended 2 interviews first one was march 2019 second one was august thats when they asked for another sponsor and chats which was already sent last september, they called me they said they have all required documents but still no decision yet , my medical expired last sept 14 2019.....

If you move forward with this, please consider updating us on how everything goes (including cost). Like I said earlier, we rarely get follow ups on WoM and it will be a great benefit to the forum for others to reference.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

If you win your WoM case that only means that the Consulate is forced to make a decision on your case. Their decision may be denial.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, EM_Vandaveer said:

If you win your WoM case that only means that the Consulate is forced to make a decision on your case. Their decision may be denial.

If you force them to decide one way or another, their decision is likely to be a denial.

Timeline
4 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Sorry about your situation.

A Writ of Mandamus is not do-it-yourself.  Filing a lawsuit against the US Government in federal court is not a do-it-yourself task.  You need to be able to cite specific laws, etc.  There is no practical way to sue the US Government in federal court without a competent lawyer.  

It seems like you have problems meeting the I-864 requirements.  The fact that your first JS was rejected and you were asked for a second JS is a  red flag.  

Additionally, you stated that they asked for a second JS in March 2019.  You said you lived with your wife until June 2019.  It seems there may be a domicile issue also.

Instead of trying to sue the US Government, you might want to get someone to review your case.  Seems like there are things that are being missed.

my first join sponsor makes 70000 a year he is LPR from arabic country, so consular officer in my second interview he said he does not find him sufficiant, so i sent him another join sponsor who is US citizen qualified it seemed they accepted him following our telephone conversation with consulate are ready to make decision, they called me on 16 october they said that the consular wanted to speak to my wife on the phone because he wants to make decision so i gave the lady my wife phone number in the US but he never called my wife been waiting for the call nothing yet i got the following messages below and tell me what do you think ?

first email 

Dear Sir,

Following to our telephone conversation. Your IR1 visa application is still pending consular officer review. We will contact you accordingly to finish processing your visa case.

Regards,

Immigration Visa Unit
US Consulate Casablanca, Morocco
GZ

second email

Dear Applicant,

Thanks for your email.
Please note that your case is still on review, we have received all your information and will let you know if we need anything else.

Regards,
Immigration Visa Unit
Casablanca, Morocco
MH

Edited by abdo1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.