29 posts in this topic

Timeline

Ghana is considered a “high-fraud” country so getting as much well-documented time spent together as possible will really help. Time spent together is the strongest evidence of a relationship. Take pictures with friends and family, keep receipts

A friend’s Ghanaian husband got his visa and he is 20 years younger than she is. Three years in itself won’t be a problem. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JFH said:

Ghana.

I’m not as optimistic as others here.

I agree as they married to fast after meeting and i was just on the USCIS site reading thru the warnings for circumventing the immigration process 

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-3481/0-0-0-4484.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The key to any spousal visa approval, especially for high-fraud countries, is evidence of lots of time spent in person, face to face, and as much financial co-mingling evidence as you can put together, before filing the I-130 petition, and again at the NVC stage.  Often they don't look at evidence taken to the visa interview.  I recommend more visits to be together and document everything.  What financial co-mingling evidence have you submitted?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Nonsense

This is a State Department warning posted on many high fraud country web pages

Some of the signs that an Internet contact may be developing a relationship with an American in order to obtain an immigrant visa through marriage are:

• Declarations of love within days or weeks of the initial contact;
  • Proposals or discussions of marriage soon after initial contact;
  • Requests to the American to visit the foreign national’s home country soon after the declaration of love or proposal;
  • Responses to messages from the American friend are along the lines “I love you/Sorry I missed your call,” or similarly one-sided conversations;
  • Once engaged, married, or an immigrant visa petition is filed, suddenly starts missing scheduled appointments to chat or call.

While chat rooms, dating and social networking sites are great ways to make friends across international borders, the U.S. government urges Americans who meet foreign nationals on the Internet to take the time necessary to get to know them well before considering marriage and to keep in mind the signs noted above. Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the American citizen and the foreign national involved.

19 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

Nonsense

In theory. But here we have:

- Ghana

- marrying within 6 months of initial contact 

- marrying on the first visit 

Each one of the above on its own is not an issue but combined together can be a hurdle. 

Not many people would feel ready for marriage after 6 months of dating someone they work with and see in person every day. Let alone someone from the other side of the withdrawal they’ve never met in person. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

This is a State Department warning posted on many high fraud country web pages

Some of the signs that an Internet contact may be developing a relationship with an American in order to obtain an immigrant visa through marriage are:

• Declarations of love within days or weeks of the initial contact;
  • Proposals or discussions of marriage soon after initial contact;
  • Requests to the American to visit the foreign national’s home country soon after the declaration of love or proposal;
  • Responses to messages from the American friend are along the lines “I love you/Sorry I missed your call,” or similarly one-sided conversations;
  • Once engaged, married, or an immigrant visa petition is filed, suddenly starts missing scheduled appointments to chat or call.

While chat rooms, dating and social networking sites are great ways to make friends across international borders, the U.S. government urges Americans who meet foreign nationals on the Internet to take the time necessary to get to know them well before considering marriage and to keep in mind the signs noted above. Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the American citizen and the foreign national involved.

Everyone has to demonstrate a valid relationship.  
“Married on the first visit” as implied is not an all-encompassing red flag

15 hours ago, Mark2020 said:

We got married 6 month of knowing each other 

Online.  It is very hard to really know someone online and getting married on the first visit.   

For a relationship to be tested the couple needs to go someplace without Wifi.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
17 hours ago, Mark2020 said:

Hello ,
           I'm a new VJ member , My wife and I started chatting last July 2018 and eventually we got into a relationship and we got married in January 2019 and spent 10 days before sent went back to the states , and she file for I-130 in February . and visited me again in May 2019 for 14 days . i am 30 and my wife is 33 .I've read it is a red flag for the visa filing. I just want to know if there are any couples here who had the same issue and got their visa approved. It would be nice to hear successful stories.Thank you !!!!

age gap does'nt impact on your petition ..just relax and every documents should be genuine 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Any previous filings by the USC for another person?  

Any previous filings on your behalf by another USC?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
7 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Online.  It is very hard to really know someone online and getting married on the first visit.   

For a relationship to be tested the couple needs to go someplace without Wifi.

My husband and I chatted for less than a year online and phone before we met. I came to Norway one time. We married a month later after I arrived...that was almost 20 YEARS AGO! Our relationship has outlasted both my sisters marriages (who dated, had long engagements etc with their nkw ex husbands) as well as various other people we know so I really don't think you can say that. My husband was 22 and I, 25 when we married. He is an amazing man and we treat each other well and love each other.  

Yes, there are some people out there only looking to scam to get a green card but plenty of couples out there who actually love each other and know they want to be in it for the long haul. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm 21 years older than my husband and we married on the first visit. I'm also divorced with children and we are different religions. He had didn't have one single problem getting approved, not even an RFE. He became a US citizen a few years ago.

You really don't have anything to worry about as long as you send enough evidence of a bonafide relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.