Justintime2

US & Canadian fire fighters marry, need some guidance

17 posts in this topic

Hopefully this is in the correct forum and makes sense. I know this takes bit of time to read through and type out a response so thank you in advance for any info or direction, and be gentle, this is my first time! :*)

After all the reading I've got a bunch of completed forms w/documentation but not sure I completely understand the sequence and don't know what I don't know.

1. Which is the best way/sequence to file these and am I missing anything?

2. Does parole effect us (not sure I understand it)

3. While this is processing is she still able to come and go across the border as a normal visitor?

4. Does her job effect this process before, during or after?

5. What question am I not asking that I should?

Our info:

Married in WA State on July 5th 2019 and have been working on all the filings.

I live and work in WA State up near the Canadian border, she lives and works in BC, Canada down near the US border. We're about 45-mins apart.

She's down here on her days off and I'm up there occasionally on mine, both have Nexus.

She intends to live here and commute to her fire fighter job in Canada and maybe eventually work in the US. Her job is actually closer to my home in the US then it is to her home in Canada.

We've completed but not submitted the following:

I-129F

I-130

I-485

G-1145

She's also completed her health exam which is sealed by the US doctor and ready to go.

She's changed her last name to mine. (already changed her Canadian drivers license, passport and Nexus)

Me:

47-YOM US citizen by birth

Fire captain w/20-yrs on the job (in US)

Divorced over a decade ago

1 daughter who's 24 and out on her own

Own my own home, perfect credit, no criminal record and back ground checked extensively for my job

Wife:

43-YOF Canadian citizen by birth

Fire Fighter w/3yrs on the job (in Canada)

Never married

No kids

Owns her own home, perfect credit, no criminal record and back ground checked extensively for her job

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Presumably you will be adding her to your Health Insurance.

I would imagine the Tax aspect could be complicated.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

K-3 visas are obsolete.  The I-129f will be likely be administratively closed while the I-130 will be processed.....The result will be a CR-1 visa....

2.  Advance Parole is not applicable to CR-1 cases........it applies to K-1 and K-3 entrants (and all applicants for adjustment of status).

3.  Yes, but it will her responsibility to convince the CBP officer that she will return to Canada.  Every entry is at the discretion of CBP.

4.  After, yes......due to tax implications.

Normal processing time for a CR-1 visa is about 12-14 months from filing to visa in hand.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It will be no problem for her to continue working in Canada after she moves with her visa (she will be no longer eligible for Canada's health care even though she will be paying into it, and she will also need to have her employer take taxes out as a non resident. As she cannot be deem a resident of Canada if she is a resident of the US. Canada will consider her a non resident for health care and all tax related things the day she crosses the border endorsing her visa.

She can continue to visit like she has once you start the paper work. 

As for her medical you say she has it is not likely an authorized one. She needs to get her medical in Canada once she gets to that stage by a Panel Physician. The one she has if it even was allowed to be use will be expired by the time she goes to the interview in Montreal (the only place that will process her visa). 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Justintime2 said:

Hopefully this is in the correct forum and makes sense. I know this takes bit of time to read through and type out a response so thank you in advance for any info or direction, and be gentle, this is my first time! :*)

After all the reading I've got a bunch of completed forms w/documentation but not sure I completely understand the sequence and don't know what I don't know.

1. Which is the best way/sequence to file these and am I missing anything?

2. Does parole effect us (not sure I understand it)

3. While this is processing is she still able to come and go across the border as a normal visitor?

4. Does her job effect this process before, during or after?

5. What question am I not asking that I should?

Our info:

Married in WA State on July 5th 2019 and have been working on all the filings.

I live and work in WA State up near the Canadian border, she lives and works in BC, Canada down near the US border. We're about 45-mins apart.

She's down here on her days off and I'm up there occasionally on mine, both have Nexus.

She intends to live here and commute to her fire fighter job in Canada and maybe eventually work in the US. Her job is actually closer to my home in the US then it is to her home in Canada.

We've completed but not submitted the following:

I-129F

I-130

I-485

G-1145

She's also completed her health exam which is sealed by the US doctor and ready to go.

She's changed her last name to mine. (already changed her Canadian drivers license, passport and Nexus)

Me:

47-YOM US citizen by birth

Fire captain w/20-yrs on the job (in US)

Divorced over a decade ago

1 daughter who's 24 and out on her own

Own my own home, perfect credit, no criminal record and back ground checked extensively for my job

Wife:

43-YOF Canadian citizen by birth

Fire Fighter w/3yrs on the job (in Canada)

Never married

No kids

Owns her own home, perfect credit, no criminal record and back ground checked extensively for her job

Okay I see some things you need to omit. You aren't adjusting status so take the I-485 out. Omit the I-129F.

Don't know why you got a medical so soon. That is not required until right before the interview. That medical will be long expired she will need anther one who that won't work.

You will just file the I-130, I-130A with the G-1145 (Notification) and send to the Phonenix Lockbox. Expect 12 to 15 months from filing to interview.

Mail your application to:

USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: I-130
P.O. Box 21700
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Interview will be in Montreal.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from K3 Process & Procedures to IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures.***

**Moderator hat off**

My answers in bold and red

3 hours ago, Justintime2 said:

I-129F This form is not needed

I-130

I-485 This form is not needed

G-1145 optional

She's also completed her health exam which is sealed by the US doctor and ready to go.  She'll need another one by an approved panel physician in Canada.

Don't forget the I-130A

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

She will need a new medical before the interview.  The interview will be in Montreal, as that is where all interviews are for Canada.  And she will need to visit a panel physician. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/MTL - Montreal.pdf

I hope this helps.  

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Wow, thanks to everyone for the info! Will see if quoting this all in one post will work instead of carpet bombing the board by replying to each one separately.

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Presumably you will be adding her to your Health Insurance.

I would imagine the Tax aspect could be complicated.

Yes, she will be on my health care plan. Tax consequences are on our mind but will be figured out after the application process has been initiated.

4 hours ago, missileman said:

K-3 visas are obsolete.  The I-129f will be likely be administratively closed while the I-130 will be processed.....The result will be a CR-1 visa....

2.  Advance Parole is not applicable to CR-1 cases........it applies to K-1 and K-3 entrants (and all applicants for adjustment of status).

3.  Yes, but it will her responsibility to convince the CBP officer that she will return to Canada.  Every entry is at the discretion of CBP.

4.  After, yes......due to tax implications.

Normal processing time for a CR-1 visa is about 12-14 months from filing to visa in hand.

1. The CR-1 is where once she's granted it the next time she crosses the border it's stamped and live?

2. Awesome, we were concerned about what this provision meant for us.

3. 4 CBP officers live in my neighborhood and am friends with many more, so hopefully should any bumps be encountered they can be smoothed out with a phone call!

4. This is the next phase of our learning curve.

5 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

It will be no problem for her to continue working in Canada after she moves with her visa (she will be no longer eligible for Canada's health care even though she will be paying into it, and she will also need to have her employer take taxes out as a non resident. As she cannot be deem a resident of Canada if she is a resident of the US. Canada will consider her a non resident for health care and all tax related things the day she crosses the border endorsing her visa.

She can continue to visit like she has once you start the paper work. 

As for her medical you say she has it is not likely an authorized one. She needs to get her medical in Canada once she gets to that stage by a Panel Physician. The one she has if it even was allowed to be use will be expired by the time she goes to the interview in Montreal (the only place that will process her visa). 

Your first paragraph is one we'll need to carefully consider and understand how this is going to impact her employment and access to benefits, thanks for the heads up.

Good to know she can come and go as she does now.

We were trying to be proactive and found the nearest one on the approved list and got it done. We'll consider that a stupid tax as I should have posted here sooner...

3 hours ago, designguy said:

Thank you for the resource, I will bookmark it for future reading!

4 hours ago, dwheels76 said:

Okay I see some things you need to omit. You aren't adjusting status so take the I-485 out. Omit the I-129F.

Don't know why you got a medical so soon. That is not required until right before the interview. That medical will be long expired she will need anther one who that won't work.

You will just file the I-130, I-130A with the G-1145 (Notification) and send to the Phonenix Lockbox. Expect 12 to 15 months from filing to interview.

Mail your application to:

USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:

USCIS
P.O. Box 21700
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
1820 E. Skyharbor Circle S
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Interview will be in Montreal.

That is a very clear picture of what we need to do, thank you!

See the response two above yours as that medical is now a stupid tax.

2 hours ago, Ryan H said:

***Moved from K3 Process & Procedures to IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures.***

**Moderator hat off**

My answers in bold and red

Don't forget the I-130A

Thanks for getting this into the right forum and although I missed the I-130A in the list I typed out we do indeed have one!

32 minutes ago, canadian_wife said:

She will need a new medical before the interview.  The interview will be in Montreal, as that is where all interviews are for Canada.  And she will need to visit a panel physician. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Medical/MTL - Montreal.pdf

I hope this helps.  

Thank you very much, did not see Montreal coming but we'll make a trip out of it!

She can do the medical in Surrey however so the trip to Montreal only has to be as long as you want. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A lot of people make a week long trip out to Montreal. That’s what we’ll be doing since my husband lives in a Calgary. It’s easier than making 2 trips.

They get their medical there about a week before the interview. But if she lives near one of the other medical locations she can just go there for that. But look up the processing times for when you can get your medical paperwork back, I think each place is a little different. 

While you’re waiting for the visa to go through, she will just need to bring proof that she’s going back while visiting. Things like a letter from work and her mortgage should be good. She has to prove ties to Canada. 

And I would definitely look into the whole working in Canada while living in the US thing further. 

So so envious you only live 45min away from each other! That would make the long wait for the visa so much easier!

Good luck!

Timeline
8 hours ago, RCable said:

A lot of people make a week long trip out to Montreal. That’s what we’ll be doing since my husband lives in a Calgary. It’s easier than making 2 trips.

So so envious you only live 45min away from each other! That would make the long wait for the visa so much easier!

Good luck!

If possible - try to get to Quebec City.  It’s absolutely stunning.  I’m not a huge fan of Montreal so 2 days was all I wanted to do there, but agree for those who have to travel quite far to QC, it’s easier and cheaper to do it once.

My husband and I were ~35 minutes away from each other NY and ON, so I always feel awful reading stories on here where people are plane rides away, because we were SO fortunate to be able to do weekends together or every other weekend. My heart breaks for everyone who has to wait months (or longer) between visits as I can only imagine that’s so taxing.

Good luck to you both! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

My husband and I were ~35 minutes away from each other NY and ON, so I always feel awful reading stories on here where people are plane rides away, because we were SO fortunate to be able to do weekends together or every other weekend. My heart breaks for everyone who has to wait months (or longer) between visits as I can only imagine that’s so taxing.

My husband and I had a two-year long-distance relationship (California--Brazil) and we made it work.  It wasn't easy, but fortunately I was able to make the long trip to Brazil about every two or three months to be with him during the process, and lots of daily texts and a nightly video call really helped.  Now waking up next to him every day, all the pain and sad good byes were definitely worth it!  Good luck to all going through this, whether 35 minutes or 35 hours apart it can be done if you really love each other.

Edited by carmel34

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, had surgery and have been (slowly) recovering.

Some amazing info so far which has clarified many things but created a few more questions.

1. Since we're going to file the I-130/I-130A/G-1145 and go the CR-1 route, does the I-94 form apply to us?

2. How many letters verifying relationship validity is a good starting point?

3. If we don't yet own any real property together yet does that work against us? (we're currently looking to by a condo in Maui but probably won't happen before)

4. Notice the I-130A doesn't ask for copies of her birth certificates and passport but it did in other forms, does that come later or at the interview?

5. How intertwined do our finances need to be? We have one joint bank account that is used for a few things but most of our finances our kept separate. What are they looking for?

Thanks,

Justin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Justintime2 said:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this, had surgery and have been (slowly) recovering.

Some amazing info so far which has clarified many things but created a few more questions.

1. Since we're going to file the I-130/I-130A/G-1145 and go the CR-1 route, does the I-94 form apply to us?

2. How many letters verifying relationship validity is a good starting point?

3. If we don't yet own any real property together yet does that work against us? (we're currently looking to by a condo in Maui but probably won't happen before)

4. Notice the I-130A doesn't ask for copies of her birth certificates and passport but it did in other forms, does that come later or at the interview?

5. How intertwined do our finances need to be? We have one joint bank account that is used for a few things but most of our finances our kept separate. What are they looking for?

Thanks,

Justin

1) Not unless she’s currently in the US

2) None. Focus on time spent together instead (photos, hotels, vacation receipts), etc), maybe even add each other to your insurances if you can and if you haven’t already. Written affidavit letters are pretty much useless

3) No. It’s expected that couples who don’t live in the same country and are newlywed won’t own property together or have many commingled assets if any at all

4) She will submit photocopies of her civil documents at the NVC phase. Beneficiary passport/birth certificate isn’t needed at USCIS/I130 phase

5) What they’re looking for is evidence of a bona fide marriage, not necessarily only financial commingling assets, those are just one way to show bona fide marriage. There’s no “minimum” to how commingled your finances have to be since for most couples, financial commingling isn’t really possible until living together. Having just one barely used joint bank account together is completely fine and more than what most people have when filing I130

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.