Lovemyman

How many of us used a lawyer to file for K1?

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I was quoted about $5k for k1 visa process.  2500 up front, noa2 another 2500.

k1 and k2 visa.

We were approved without a lawyer, august 27th and visa in hand august 30th.

Edited by Russel1995

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
5 hours ago, Lovemyman said:

We got a lawyer because we could afford to do so & that was the only reason. 

Don't hire a lawyer because the sole reason is having enough money. Hire a lawyer because it is effective, efficient, and the risk of personal harm outweighs the benefit of DIY. Attorneys are usually very inefficient (they want lots of billable hours) and have many clients to manage. They truly don't care about your case, your fiance, or anything other than fees. Many lawyers consider immigration attorneys as being similar to traffic-ticket law centers. Forms, not talent, rule the day. Avoid for simple immigration matters, such as K-1 and CR-1. Hire for criminal matters and complex cases (estates, corporate tax issues, divorce with assets/kids, property disputes, etc).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We did ours without an attorney.  My first brush with an immigration attorney when I was new - and before I found visa - I had a consultation and he told me "have your fiancé come here and marry and adjust status".  Luckily we found VJ  and realized he was telling me to commit visa fraud!

Definitely is your choice! I will say though that there seems to be a misconception that filing via a lawyer will expedite one’s case or increase the likelihood of it being approved when, from my understanding anyway, the only important things are the legitimacy of the relationship itself and the quality of the paperwork. When I did the K1 paperwork from I-129F to visa in hand, it was all single-handedly as the beneficiary, so I had no knowledge of how US taxes and such worked (still don’t), etc. I just asked a lot of questions and did a lot of research. Going through it all again for AOS. 🥴

7 hours ago, Lovemyman said:

Just wondering how you know what some embassies think or assume? Please give us all your inside information. 

We got a lawyer because we could afford to do so & that was the only reason. 

Finance wasn't an issue for me getting an lawyer. I find it silly and waste of time, it would of only prolonged the process since I would have to rely on someone else to fill out paperwork and send it in.

I have done more than one K1 and I know how simple the paperwork requirements are.  First time I filed you had to use typewriter, they didn't have the easy fill in the blank forms like they have now of days.

Since Embassy/Consulate requirement are specific to each country, I don't think there is any better place then the regional sections of this forum to keep up dated with the latest and greatest information.

ChickBoy

In the absence of criminal history, waivers etc, a lawyer is totally not necessary.  The process is expensive enough, even without legal fees.  

Plus, I would rather use those $1000s for airfares between NZ and USA!

Thing to remember with lawyers is that you're still personally responsible for their actions/inaction. So you still have to understand the process/requirements/deadlines, etc. If you're going to pay thousands of dollars for the whole process to citizenship, at least 1) get a very good lawyer, and 2) get a lawyer who can teach you about the process, involve you in the decision making. Don't be a passive client.

Or hire me as your immigration adviser. Honestly, I'm that good. And I could use the $$$!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
On 9/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, Boiler said:

Were you lucky?

Our K1 went thru with no issues, our AOS has been submitted. Time will tell. 

On 9/6/2019 at 12:02 PM, martinzl said:

I also found that many immigration attorneys very rarely deal with K-1 visas and are usually involved and more familiar with other immigration issues.

Spot on!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are currently in the process of doing our K1 and decided to go through a lawyer, I have to say it is most definitely NOT worth the money, you are ultimately paying for a third party to do the clerical work which you have to do yourself in the first place anyway! I did not want to do it, but my partner insisted so we decided to, however now having explained to him the vast information and knowledgable people here on VJ it was a waste of money and i could have saved us time and money in the long run. 

So i would personally not recommend it. 

On 9/6/2019 at 3:31 PM, Russel1995 said:

I was quoted about $5k for k1 visa process.  2500 up front, noa2 another 2500.

k1 and k2 visa.

We were approved without a lawyer, august 27th and visa in hand august 30th.

Of all the post on here this is the one that stuck to me.

$5000 is a nice moderate wedding

$5000 is a nice honeymoon at a resort

$5000 is a 2 week cruise with me, my wife, and our 2 kids on Royal Caribbean

$5000 can get me a nice used motorcycle

$5000 can get me a good used fishing boat

$5000 can get me a weekend rental with a Ferrari 458

Ok Ok ..so the last three were my personal desires but you get the point.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Also approximately an annual contribution to ROTH IRA for those who qualify and are < 50 years old!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 9/9/2019 at 3:39 PM, Unlockable said:

thats what i was thinking.  that didnt even include adjustment of status.

not even going to ask for the quote.

NOTE: Black & Bold = Visa Related

02/16/2018: Met online on a mobile game called Guns of Glory

10/03/2018: I129f sent

10/05/2018: NOA1

02/26/2019: NOA2 

03/19/2019: NVC received

03/22/2019: NVC case # assigned

04/02/2019: Consulate received

08/21/2019: Medical - passed on vaccines so insurance can be used in the USA.

08/22/2019: ASC

08/27/2019: Interview -APPROVED!!!

09/11/2019: Entered USA through Chicago O'hare

09/20/2019: Married

10/09/2019: Filed AOS

11/12/2019: Biometric appointment

12/13/2019: RFE (birth certificate)

Total time spent together before K1 interview: 65 days.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I am a lawyer, albeit not an immigration one, and I used the basic instructions & this site 🤣 - Lucky for my fiance, I did - and will be doing- all the grunt work !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.