Prizm123

September 2019 AOS Filers

2,106 posts in this topic

AOS Checklist

• Cover Letter listing Table of Contents
  • (Check Payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security - $1,225.00)

Form I-485 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Form G-1145 
  • Copy of beneficiary's Passport with biographical page 
  • Copy of beneficiary's K1 Visa from Passport and entry stamp 
  • Copy of NOA2 Approval letter (from K1 process) 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of beneficiary's Birth Certificate 
  • translation of birth certificate
  • Certified copy of Marriage License 
  • Passport Photos (2) name written on the back 
  • Copy of DS-3025 

Form I-864 (completed and signed by USC) (goes with form I-485)

• Proof of USC's citizenship (copy of birth certificate, copy of passport bio page, or other)
  • 2018, 2017 (optional), and 2016 (optional) Tax Return (with W-2) or Transcripts
  • Employment Verification letter (updated one - not the one used during K1 process) 
  • Paystubs (last 3 months) 

Form I-765 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Copy of beneficiary's Passport with biographical page 
  • Copy of beneficiary's K1 Visa from Passport and entry stamp 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of NOA2 (from K1 process) 

Form I-131 (completed and signed by non-US Citizen/beneficiary)

• Copy of beneficiary's Passport with biographical page 
  • Copy of beneficiary's K1 Visa from Passport and entry stamp 
  • I-94 
  • Copy of NOA2 (from K1 process

New month, new round of fun. sent today. so here we go

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Not a September filer, but saw the thread opening and could not believe this year is almost over. 

I guess this immigration process warps the perception of time. 

Good luck to everyone! Hope your journey goes smooth. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Finally joining you guys! I arrived in US on 27th of July,  got married on 2nd of August and we are finally ready to send in the paperwork. I've been going through every checklist possible to make sure that everything is okay! Good luck to everyone!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline

Hello guys. I will send our packet AOS tomorrow (k1 and k2). Good luck for all. Please let me know when you have answer about your I-767 and I-131. thanks

I am hoping the EAD doesnt take forever. she is chomping at the bit to work, and my mom already has a job for her to get started

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with (I am a K1 visa holder currently in the U.S.):

1. If I'm not rushing to gain employment or go outside the U.S., may I skip the I-131 (re-entry) and I-765 (employment) for now and just file the I-485 (AOS) and I-864 (Support)?

2. If I file them altogether, do I only pay once for the $85 biometrics fee or is that $170 total for the I-485 and I-131 requirements?

3. Form I-485 requires submission of "Evidence of Continuously Maintaining a Lawful Status Since Arrival in the United States" (page 11 of the instructions PDF), which means the I-94, passport page with parole stamp, etc. Given that K1 only allots 90 days, does this mean AOS definitely has to be filed before the 90 days is up? I'm conflicted because many others have posted that it's okay to file for AOS after the 90 days. But if USCIS is asking for I-94 and such, and they check it after the 90 days, won't the visa holder's stay be deemed unlawful then? (And yet, I might be reading into it too much because despite everything I've said, USCIS still hasn't specified this rule outright.)

(My last question is more country-specific)
4. I've completed the medical examination in the Philippines and I have the x-ray and immunization records on hand, but not the other lab test results. How do I go about fulfilling the I-693 requirement? (They wouldn't have allowed me to leave for the U.S. without getting cleared anyways. BUT.... I have yet to complete Round 2 [final round] of my varicella shots, so I don't know if that's okay)

If my questions already have answers on the website, please lead me to the right direction.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all! 😊

A late August filer!

Package sent on August 29th,

delivered on September 3rd.

Now waiting for the check to be cashed.

Package sent: 08/29/19

Package delivered: 09/03/19

I-765 received :09/03/19

I-131 received: 09/03/19

I-485 received: 09/10/19

Text notification: 09/11/19

Check cashed: 09/12/19

NOA1 date for all 3 forms: 09/10/19

Biometrics: 10/03/19

Ready for interview schedule: 10/30/19

Interview was scheduled: 09/15/2020

Interview date: 10/15/2020

GC received: 10/22/2020

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
2 hours ago, Del A. said:

Hi guys, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with (I am a K1 visa holder currently in the U.S.):

1. If I'm not rushing to gain employment or go outside the U.S., may I skip the I-131 (re-entry) and I-765 (employment) for now and just file the I-485 (AOS) and I-864 (Support)?

2. If I file them altogether, do I only pay once for the $85 biometrics fee or is that $170 total for the I-485 and I-131 requirements?

3. Form I-485 requires submission of "Evidence of Continuously Maintaining a Lawful Status Since Arrival in the United States" (page 11 of the instructions PDF), which means the I-94, passport page with parole stamp, etc. Given that K1 only allots 90 days, does this mean AOS definitely has to be filed before the 90 days is up? I'm conflicted because many others have posted that it's okay to file for AOS after the 90 days. But if USCIS is asking for I-94 and such, and they check it after the 90 days, won't the visa holder's stay be deemed unlawful then? (And yet, I might be reading into it too much because despite everything I've said, USCIS still hasn't specified this rule outright.)

(My last question is more country-specific)
4. I've completed the medical examination in the Philippines and I have the x-ray and immunization records on hand, but not the other lab test results. How do I go about fulfilling the I-693 requirement? (They wouldn't have allowed me to leave for the U.S. without getting cleared anyways. BUT.... I have yet to complete Round 2 [final round] of my varicella shots, so I don't know if that's okay)

If my questions already have answers on the website, please lead me to the right direction.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all! 😊

1. Yes you can file I-485 and I-864 alone.

2. If you file AOS, EAD & AP altogether it will give you a total of $1,225.

3. AOS does not have to be filed within the 90days period. The implication of the 90days stamp is that you must get married within that period. 

4. You may have to see a physician here in the USA if you are yet to complete your medicals.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Drsmile said:

2. If you file AOS, EAD & AP altogether it will give you a total of $1,225.

Thank you for your informative response. I did a little more research and realized filing EAD under K1 visa exempts me from paying the $85 biometrics fee. I do have a follow-up question on the AP fee though. Kindly tell me if I am understanding this correctly (see boxed items):

861446704_APFeeinquiry.thumb.jpg.581a5f73e76d30f9f55f81aa61f38287.jpg

*Screenshot from https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

The table of fees + bulleted list is confusing to me, sorry...
Does the above mean 1) I disregard the AP fee indicated on the table; because 2) As long as I have a pending AOS, filing AP is free of charge even if I submit the AP form separately?
Because if the answers are yes and yes, I can't tell why they would indicate the $575 in the first place. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something... 😕

Timeline

Hello guys :) I have question about I-864. Which box did you tick right at the beginning? "I am the petitioner. I filed or am filing for the immigration of mu relative."? I am adjusting from K1 visa.

Also in Part 3, 29. Enter the total number of immigrants (no kids), I put 1 but then in Part 5, it will automatically fill in the number 1., I put 1 in 2. but number 3. If you are currently married, I leave blank? Even my husband is married to me? However I am already in the first part?

Sorry if this is stupid question, I am just confused. My total household size will come to 2 which is correct just the "married part" confuses me.

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
3 hours ago, Eva_AJ said:

Hello guys :) I have question about I-864. Which box did you tick right at the beginning? "I am the petitioner. I filed or am filing for the immigration of mu relative."? I am adjusting from K1 visa.

Also in Part 3, 29. Enter the total number of immigrants (no kids), I put 1 but then in Part 5, it will automatically fill in the number 1., I put 1 in 2. but number 3. If you are currently married, I leave blank? Even my husband is married to me? However I am already in the first part?

Sorry if this is stupid question, I am just confused. My total household size will come to 2 which is correct just the "married part" confuses me.

Thank you

You're currently married 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Robify said:

You're currently married 

If I do that (put number 1 in the married part), that will put the size oft he household as 3 (it does automatically) which is not true.

4 hours ago, Del A. said:

Thank you for your informative response. I did a little more research and realized filing EAD under K1 visa exempts me from paying the $85 biometrics fee. I do have a follow-up question on the AP fee though. Kindly tell me if I am understanding this correctly (see boxed items):

861446704_APFeeinquiry.thumb.jpg.581a5f73e76d30f9f55f81aa61f38287.jpg

*Screenshot from https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

The table of fees + bulleted list is confusing to me, sorry...
Does the above mean 1) I disregard the AP fee indicated on the table; because 2) As long as I have a pending AOS, filing AP is free of charge even if I submit the AP form separately?
Because if the answers are yes and yes, I can't tell why they would indicate the $575 in the first place. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something... 😕

EAD and AP are both completely free to file for with an I-485. Even if you don't think you need it now, you should apply just in case you do need them later (e.g. want to work, want a holiday abroad, family emergency back home etc.)

11/12/2017 - Entered US on J1
10/18/2018 - Filed AOS at NBC
12/11/2018 - Biometrics
02/28/2019 - USCIS mailed RFIE on I485
05/09/2019 - USCIS received RFIE response
06/11/2019 - USCIS mailed another RFIE on I485
06/19/2019 - USCIS received 2nd RFIE response
07/24/2019 - I485 ready to schedule for interview
01/22/2020 - I485 interview (in San Jose instead of San Francisco)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, dr01d3k4 said:

EAD and AP are both completely free to file for with an I-485. Even if you don't think you need it now, you should apply just in case you do need them later (e.g. want to work, want a holiday abroad, family emergency back home etc.)

And even if your field office is generally fast, your particular case might be slow for some reason.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.