EnglishLove

Social Security Number issues

46 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Pooley said:

They did turn me away. I looked it up on our state website and Idaho is one where you do need a SSN or a letter from the social security office. I'm hoping the one they gave us will be accepted. 🤞

Consider as well that rules sometimes vary from county to county too. I'd check that out as well. I can't see an entire state not allowing destination weddings at all for visitors though. That would be crazy. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Just now, K1visaHopeful said:

Consider as well that rules sometimes vary from county to county too. I'd check that out as well. I can't see an entire state not allowing destination weddings at all for visitors though. That would be crazy. Good luck!

I just called the court and asked if this letter will do and they said yes! Thank Goodness!! Otherwise I'd be screwed because the government takes their sweet time with everything!

This happened to my husband from Argentina too. It did take four weeks for him to receive the card, but nothing else was required of him in the process.

Bring in a printout of the website to the county clerk for the marriage license. Sometimes printouts (and the right person) will work. My husband just showed his password since we didn't have the ss card, but not all of the people across the desk are familiar with the rules. 

For the SS card they said we had to wait 8 weeks, but went in at 6 for the second time and got it. Maybe you could try for a ss card after 2 if it's not too much hassle to get there?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
4 hours ago, payxibka said:

Vegas 

Fly out to Vegas. I'll hook you up in under 4 hours. License, marriage,and certificate in hand.1598654400_IMG_20190829_0332322.thumb.jpg.a779067cbac65fe6b99f089e3476ea7d.jpg

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

This happened to my fiancee also. They put first and middle name together and it ended up taking 11 weeks to get the card. They also said at the county clerk that SSN was required for the marriage license but we showed up anyway and the lady said wasnt required and gave it to us......

Timeline
25 minutes ago, dxec said:

This happened to my fiancee also. They put first and middle name together and it ended up taking 11 weeks to get the card. They also said at the county clerk that SSN was required for the marriage license but we showed up anyway and the lady said wasnt required and gave it to us......

11 weeks?!?! That's insane! He basically can't do anything without his social. Can't get on my bank accounts or mortgage or anything. It sucks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yeah pretty much. We went and complained at the 4 week mark and they said couldn't do anything but wait. We went back again at the 6 week mark and complained again and they said could take 8 weeks. We went back at like 9 weeks and complained then 2 weeks later it showed up in the mail. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

You didn't go too early. I had an issue with my name too on the i-94, my three names (first and two middle ones) were all in the "first name" box and didn't fit, so my third name was cut off in the middle. I emailed CBP and they fixed it. It still took about 4 weeks for me to get my SSN. The SSN is not needed for the marriage license, you might have to go elsewhere to find someone who actually knows what the rules are.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Pooley said:

11 weeks?!?! That's insane! He basically can't do anything without his social. Can't get on my bank accounts or mortgage or anything. It sucks!

Not totally true. We got Wells Fargo joint bank account without my SSN no problem, Spectrum and car insurance put me on my husband's stuff also. So it depends on the place. I went to SSA on my 4th day in US, got application in no problem but I've been waiting for 5 weeks for it already and now was told by the office they lost my paperwork so have to do new application🙄 in Texas they just needed my passport for marriage license

6 hours ago, Pooley said:

He did leave us a letter stating that they have to verify before issuing the SSN and could take up to 4 weeks.

By a literal reading of 32-403(2), Idaho Code that should suffice: https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/title32/t32ch4/sect32-403/ Hopefully, they don't request a SSA letter that explicitly indicates an ineligibility for a SSN.

Timeline

Im also from the UK and have 2 middle names which they added to my first name so it caused problems during the verification. Be sure to go right back into the SSA after the 4 weeks if you do not receive it. I had to and they had to create a new case all over again. You can actually check the case status on here to see if SSA has received a response on your case.

Quoted from a previous thread I replied to 

On 7/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, O-J said:

Figured I’d provide an update on my situation in case anyone experiences the same thing. It seems to be pretty common from reading the other threads on here. 

My process: 

12th May: Arrived in US

31st May: Applied for social security card at SSA

9th July: Returned to SSA to see what was taking so long as I hadn’t received my card. They said they couldn’t verify my status as my middle names (I have 2) had been added to my first name as my given name. This is because this is how it is displayed on my passport and therefore also the I-94. They ended up submitting a new SAVE case but told me to contact DHS as it would probably be rejected again. I emailed SAVE.help@uscis.dhs.gov to explain the situation but received no response and didn’t expect one really but figured I’d try it as my final attempt to get the card before sending my AOS application. Who knows if it helped or not but I got the card. 

22nd July: Card was issued

28th July: Received card in the mail

I ended up mailing my AOS/EAD/AP applications off on July 24th and turns out they mailed my SS card on the same date. I did tick the box to receive a SSN with my EAD but won’t be needing that now.

K1 Visa (232 Days):

Spoiler

I-129F submitted - 28th July 2018

NOA1 - 2nd Aug 2018

NOA2 - 26th Dec 2018

NVC received - 14th Jan 2019

NVC case assigned - 22nd Jan 2019

Booked medical - 25th Jan 2019

NVC left - 5th Feb 2019

Embassy received - 8th Feb 2019

DS-160 submitted + booked interview  - 12th Feb 2019

Medical -  22nd Feb 2019

Interview - 22nd Mar 2019 - Approved!

Visa Issued - 27th March 2019

Visa in hand - 29th March 2019

US Entry - 12th May 2019 - Dublin

Married- June 2019 💕

AOS:

Spoiler

I-485, I-765 & I-131 submitted - 24th July 2019

Cheque cashed - 1st August 2019

3 NOA’s received - 31st July 2019

Biometrics - 21st August 2019

Interview - 28th Feb 2020

Approved - 3rd Mar 2020

Card received - 11th Mar 2020

ROC:

Spoiler

I-751 submitted - 15th Feb 2022

Case received - 17th Feb 2022

Text received - 22nd Feb 2022

NOA received in mail - 2nd Mar 2022 (Dated 22nd Feb 2022)

Case updated to Fingerprints were taken - 28th Mar 2022 (No Biometrics done)

Case updated to New Card Being Produced - 7th April 2023

N-400:

Spoiler

Submitted online - 4th Mar 2023

NOA dated- 5th Mar 2023

Biometrics Scheduled - 11th Mar 2023

Biometrics - 27th Mar 2023

Interview - ?

Oath Ceremony - ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
8 hours ago, Pooley said:

I actually just looked it up for Idaho, and it does say we need a SSN or at least a letter from the office.

You will need:

1. To appear together at a County Recorder’s Office.
  2. Approximately $30 in cash. Many County Recorders do not take checks or cards. (Fee varies by county. Some counties charge up to $20 more on Saturdays.)
  3. A social security number for each applicant. Non-U.S. residents should bring identification from the country in which they are a citizen. No SSN? Obtain a letter from the nearest Social Security Office.
  4. One of the following as proof of identity and age:
    • Current driver’s license
    • State-issued identification card
    • Passport
    • Original birth certificate or certified copy

Well, we already have the spot reserved and everything.

The SSN office should've given you (or your fiance) a letter stating that at this time (s)he can't get an SSN including the reason and that they will update once it's ready etc. Take that letter and all the other documents required. 

It's also very normal these days to go through manual verification. I went through it twice last year (once for my maiden and once to change to my married name) and it took I think both times 2-4 weeks (don't know the exact time anymore) before I had my SSN. In the meantime I did have that letter explaining why.

7 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I can't see an entire state not allowing destination weddings at all for visitors though.

Yeah, but:  Idaho.

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Yeah, but:  Idaho.

Is there a huge amount of illegals hiding out there or something? (I'm not familiar). Requiring an SSN for any one/even a tourist to marry would just be a hindrance on the economy dont you think? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.