EnglishLove

Social Security Number issues

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Is there a huge amount of illegals hiding out there or something? (I'm not familiar). Requiring an SSN for any one/even a tourist to marry would just be a hindrance on the economy dont you think? 

I have no idea.  My comment was more related to the hilarious notion of having a destination wedding in Idaho.  😂

55 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I have no idea.  My comment was more related to the hilarious notion of having a destination wedding in Idaho.  😂

Lol I actually googled images of Idaho destination weddings before I answered. It's a "thing" and has some pretty venues. It would be a silly call revenue-wise to limit weddings to US Citizens. 

No state requires an SSN unless you have one or the ability to get one. The inability to get one right now was the issue here, and it sounds like the letter was sufficient to demonstrate that.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

lol, well I live here and there are super beautiful places to marry here but mainly I have family that are too old to travel and I want them there which is why I wanted to stay in Idaho.

17 hours ago, Pooley said:

11 weeks?!?! That's insane! He basically can't do anything without his social. Can't get on my bank accounts or mortgage or anything. It sucks!

That's not true. I went into the bank and put my husband on my bank account without a social. We deposited our gifts of wedding money into our joint bank account which is way before he had a SSN.  Some banks are easier with this than others. My husband also had the same issue with combining his first and last name together. It processed and he got the card in four weeks. We didn't have to do anything. 

I'm from the UK and the name thing happened to me too.  It was sorted within a couple of weeks but this was a few years ago and in Michigan

Good luck with the wedding!

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

Timeline
Just now, Sarah&Facundo said:

That's not true. I went into the bank and put my husband on my bank account without a social. We deposited our gifts of wedding money into our joint bank account which is way before he had a SSN.  Some banks are easier with this than others. My husband also had the same issue with combining his first and last name together. It processed and he got the card in four weeks. We didn't have to do anything. 

Some banks don't require a SSN but my bank does. I live in a super small town so my bank is the only one I trust. The guy at the SS office just told us to check back in from time to time to see if they changed it but that they'll mail it to us. Hopefully it gets here quick!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Soup Dragon said:

I'm from the UK and the name thing happened to me too.  It was sorted within a couple of weeks but this was a few years ago and in Michigan

Good luck with the wedding!

It's super annoying that! But that's awesome everything was sorted. Hope you like it here! I'm always nervous that my fiance will get really homesick or tired of living out in the country lol

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 hours ago, Pooley said:

I know I went in a bit early but my fiance arrived on the 27th (on a k-1 from England) and we went in the next morning to the social security office to get his number. We printed out the I-94 and had everything but they said that Homeland Security entered his name in the system wrong (they put his first and middle name as his full first name instead of separating them) and now we have to wait up to 4 weeks for the system to update before he can get it. When we went in to get our marriage certificate, they said he needs his social. Has anyone else ran into this problem? We are getting married on the 5th of October so we only have a month to sort all this out. 

Having a social security # in order to get a marriage certificate is not required, possibly depending on the State.  Here in Washington, my wife didn't have to have her SS #, but we got the application done prior to applying for the marriage certificate.  Hopefully you get it settled by the wedding date! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

Having a social security # in order to get a marriage certificate is not required, possibly depending on the State.  Here in Washington, my wife didn't have to have her SS #, but we got the application done prior to applying for the marriage certificate.  Hopefully you get it settled by the wedding date! 

Here in Idaho if you don't have a SSN, you at least need a letter from the SS stating you at least applied for one so the paper they gave us will do. I'll probably be going in today to get our marriage licence!! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Here in Idaho if you don't have a SSN, you at least need a letter from the SS stating you at least applied for one so the paper they gave us will do. I'll probably be going in today to get our marriage licence!! 

It's a good feeling after you apply for the marriage certificate, because you know the next step after that:  The moment you and your fiance have been waiting for! :) 

16 minutes ago, Pooley said:

It's super annoying that! But that's awesome everything was sorted. Hope you like it here! I'm always nervous that my fiance will get really homesick or tired of living out in the country lol

We are actually stationed overseas on orders right now and have been since 2015 so I haven't spent a lot of time in the US!  My husband retired from army active duty, we moved to the US from Europe (did all my visa stuff thinking we were going to stay permanently in the US) and then ended up getting orders to come to back to Europe!   Hey ho!  

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

Timeline
1 minute ago, Soup Dragon said:

We are actually stationed overseas on orders right now and have been since 2015 so I haven't spent a lot of time in the US!  My husband retired from army active duty, we moved to the US from Europe (did all my visa stuff thinking we were going to stay permanently in the US) and then ended up getting orders to come to back to Europe!   Hey ho!  

Oh wow! That's crazy!! I'm super excited to go back to see his family. I loved it in England but I really want to see Scotland lol

20 hours ago, Pooley said:

Oh wow! That's crazy!! I'm super excited to go back to see his family. I loved it in England but I really want to see Scotland lol

Haha yea military and government life is crazy sometimes!    When we first moved to the US our stuff was shipped over and because we lived with my husband's parents, nothing was unpacked so it all came back to Europe a few months later in exactly the same containers!!   Crazy!!

Scotland is beautiful, we were there just this summer.  We got married there in a beautiful old tower, hubby even wore a kilt!   There's nothing sexier than a guy wearing a skirt 🙂

03.03.15 - Medical

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

Haha yea military and government life is crazy sometimes!    When we first moved to the US our stuff was shipped over and because we lived with my husband's parents, nothing was unpacked so it all came back to Europe a few months later in exactly the same containers!!   Crazy!!

Scotland is beautiful, we were there just this summer.  We got married there in a beautiful old tower, hubby even wore a kilt!   There's nothing sexier than a guy wearing a skirt 🙂

How awesome! That would be amazing to be married in Scotland! He has family there so we have even more reason to go. I got my fiance to buy a pair of Wranglers (I grew up on a ranch and have horses so he needed a pair). Now that's something to behold too 😜

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.