Tidus992

Cannot open joint account or add wife to bank account.

36 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
21 hours ago, Tidus992 said:

I went today to my current bank, and they could not add my wife to my account the Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough,,  went to a new bank and tried to open an account, again Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough, this one said she needed a permanent resident card, the lady was like when she has the card come back , I was like duh I need this to get a permanent residence card/green card.   What to do what to do, a joint account isn't needed to much if you happen to get an interview is it?  We have a utility bill with both our names,  2 credit cards that I added her as a authorized user with her name on the card,  I have her under my health insurance and some life insurance, and she is a beneficiary for my 401k and others.

Go to Bank of America. We got him added to a new bank when my bank refused and  now he is added to my primary bank since he now has a work visa and SSA

p.s. The appt started out with “ we need his green card” I shut it down! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

That’s odd, I guess each Chase has different policy? My husband was not able to add me to his USAA account so we looked around to other bank and we asked Chase since my husband has an old account with them and all they asked me is a utility bill that’s has my name and my passport that matches the name on the utility bill, and that’s it.  She was able to add me. 

I am not sure about it but we went to multiple Chase branches in California and every time they had something to say why I cannot be added to account. I contacted them on FB and called to offices, all the same. Decided just to give up about Chase bank but since it's the only one bank my husband is using, then maybe we won't have a joint account before the interview at all 🤷‍♀️

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
21 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

For each of you, you can also do a will and medical power of attorney.  Find the forms online and get them notarized, at your bank, for free :)

When we were engaged we had trouble at my credit Union. We were told they couldn’t notarize anything because he wasn’t a US citizen. 😡 straightened out with a call to the manager 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

According to your profile, you are in New Jersey . . . do you have a PNC or M&T Bank nearby?  I added my wife to my PNC checking account with just her passport and SS# and she opened her own checking account at M&T Bank with her SS#, passport, and a utility bill with her name on it.  I added her name to all our utility bills as soon as she arrived in the U.S. to provide proof we were together for the AOS interview.

Jason

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Capital One allowed me to put my husband on the account even before we applied with USCIS.  They used his passport

Formally Beth & Achraf,    Lost my sign in details.

Been here a Veryyyyy Long time. 

MY HUSBAND'S :   N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

04/09/2024:     INTERVIEW SCHEDULE:  HOUSTON OFFICE: MAY 14 2024   ♥

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 5 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response per NOID,   Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

29 minutes ago, Paris Heart-Beth said:

Capital One allowed me to put my husband on the account even before we applied with USCIS.  They used his passport

Same here!

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

HSBC let me open my own savings, checking and credit card. I used my passport (with the K1 visa), SSN and my UK driving license. I think as they are big in England made it a lot easier. I also had to drop $500 into the accounts in able to be approved for the credit card. I did all this after about 4 weeks of moving here, there were very helpful. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, sashsash said:

I am not sure about it but we went to multiple Chase branches in California and every time they had something to say why I cannot be added to account. I contacted them on FB and called to offices, all the same. Decided just to give up about Chase bank but since it's the only one bank my husband is using, then maybe we won't have a joint account before the interview at all 🤷‍♀️

Now that is odd, because I’m in California and the Chase we went to is the one closest to us. We are in Sacramento. I wonder if the officer that helped us on the Chase in our area can help you guys? If you want I can give you her name and number. She is really nice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
23 hours ago, Tidus992 said:

I went today to my current bank, and they could not add my wife to my account the Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough,,  went to a new bank and tried to open an account, again Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough, this one said she needed a permanent resident card, the lady was like when she has the card come back , I was like duh I need this to get a permanent residence card/green card.   What to do what to do, a joint account isn't needed to much if you happen to get an interview is it?  We have a utility bill with both our names,  2 credit cards that I added her as a authorized user with her name on the card,  I have her under my health insurance and some life insurance, and she is a beneficiary for my 401k and others.

You're fine. They know that you can't always add people to bank accounts or insurance without SSNs or GCs. Just make sure you provide other evidence. I couldn't add my husband to my lease, my insurance, my bank accounts etc...So I just beefed up my other forms of evidence. 

They don't expect you to force evidence, just to provide what you actually have.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 hours ago, JasonGG said:

According to your profile, you are in New Jersey . . . do you have a PNC or M&T Bank nearby?  I added my wife to my PNC checking account with just her passport and SS# and she opened her own checking account at M&T Bank with her SS#, passport, and a utility bill with her name on it.  I added her name to all our utility bills as soon as she arrived in the U.S. to provide proof we were together for the AOS interview.

Jason

That's the bank I use now PNC , the lady at the desk we were sitting at said she needed 2 forms of Id she tried to enter the Passport ID twice to cheat the computer but her computer would not let it go through.. she was so nice I felt bad for her when we walked out.  

Edited by Tidus992

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 8/13/2019 at 6:57 PM, Paul & Mary said:

That is too bad about the banks.  I was able to add my wife to a regional bank and credit union account but not to Chase.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  The other items you have are very good.

Interesting I was able to add my wife to my chase checking and savings account.  No issues at all.  She did ask for the passport but i have a feeling she didn't really understand that she was on a K1 visa or even what a K1 visa was.  She already did have her social security number.

53 minutes ago, GP1977 said:

She already did have her social security number.

That makes it 1000% easier

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS Family K1/K3 as the topic is about opening a bank account.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.