Tidus992

Cannot open joint account or add wife to bank account.

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I went today to my current bank, and they could not add my wife to my account the Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough,,  went to a new bank and tried to open an account, again Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough, this one said she needed a permanent resident card, the lady was like when she has the card come back , I was like duh I need this to get a permanent residence card/green card.   What to do what to do, a joint account isn't needed to much if you happen to get an interview is it?  We have a utility bill with both our names,  2 credit cards that I added her as a authorized user with her name on the card,  I have her under my health insurance and some life insurance, and she is a beneficiary for my 401k and others.

Edited by Tidus992

3 minutes ago, Tidus992 said:

I went today to my current bank, and they could not add my wife to my account the Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough,,  went to a new bank and tried to open an account, again Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough, this one said she needed a permanent resident card, the lady was like when she has the card come back , I was like duh I need this to get a permanent residence card/green card.   What to do what to do, a joint account isn't needed to much if you happen to get an interview is it?  We have a utility bill with both our names,  2 credit cards that I added her as a authorized user with her name on the card,  I have her under my health insurance and some life instance, and she is a beneficiary for my 401k and others.

That is too bad about the banks.  I was able to add my wife to a regional bank and credit union account but not to Chase.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  The other items you have are very good.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

For each of you, you can also do a will and medical power of attorney.  Find the forms online and get them notarized, at your bank, for free :)

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Tidus992 said:

I went today to my current bank, and they could not add my wife to my account the Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough,,  went to a new bank and tried to open an account, again Passport SS# and marriage certificate was not enough, this one said she needed a permanent resident card, the lady was like when she has the card come back , I was like duh I need this to get a permanent residence card/green card.   What to do what to do, a joint account isn't needed to much if you happen to get an interview is it?  We have a utility bill with both our names,  2 credit cards that I added her as a authorized user with her name on the card,  I have her under my health insurance and some life insurance, and she is a beneficiary for my 401k and others.

Did your wife changed her last name  when you guys got married? I’m asking because Chase and I think Wells Fargo was able to add me to my husbands old chase account and they only ask for my passport and utility bill as proof of residency, but the name on the passport needs to match with the name that’s on the utility bill. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

Did your wife changed her last name  when you guys got married? I’m asking because Chase and I think Wells Fargo was able to add me to my husbands old chase account and they only ask for my passport and utility bill as proof of residency, but the name on the passport needs to match with the name that’s on the utility bill. 

It didn't even get that far, she just said sorry come back when you have the card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

Yup, we haven’t been able to get me added onto my husbands bank account either. It was frustrating because bank manager asked if I have AOS NOA1 letter(forgot what is it’s name), but when I took it out of my bag, she then said she needs some official document from USCIS with my photo in it. Don’t know why the heck did she ask for that letter then.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I was added to my husbands then fiancé’s Wells Fargo when I wasn’t even a resident and came here on a tourist visa for a visit.

I would go and talk to them just in case. I know I wasn’t able to open my own account but adding to joint was no problem at all.

now another thing is after marriage they didn’t do my name change.

because the only official thing I had from uscis was my k1visa which was not valid anymore. So for that I waited till my EAD to arrive.

Edited by Naes

Try Bank of America. They are immigrant friendly. I managed to get a joint account when I arrived on my K-1. I didn't even try other banks having read plenty of threads with people saying they got rejected. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, KULtoATL said:

Try Bank of America. They are immigrant friendly. I managed to get a joint account when I arrived on my K-1. I didn't even try other banks having read plenty of threads with people saying they got rejected. 

I agree with KultoAtl... my wife and I share Bank of America bank accounts. They allowed her to be added to the accounts right after marriage, before we filed for AOS. Very easy and helpful. Best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, KULtoATL said:

I second this.  I was added to my husband's B of A accounts as soon as we got the Marriage Certificate.  The bank employee who helped us was an immigrant himself and told us he wanted to make it as easy as possible for me because he's been in my shoes and knows how overwhelming moving here can be.  It was a wonderful experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Lana&Ivy said:

I second this.  I was added to my husband's B of A accounts as soon as we got the Marriage Certificate.  The bank employee who helped us was an immigrant himself and told us he wanted to make it as easy as possible for me because he's been in my shoes and knows how overwhelming moving here can be.  It was a wonderful experience.

That's nice :) When I went there to open a bank account they said that I need to have any ID with my new last name (obviously I changed it and back then I didn't have state ID) since my SSN is already on my married name. They didn't accept marriage certificate as a proof of name change lol

After I got my state ID I opened an account in Wells Fargo but I cannot be added to my husband's account at Chase (they require green card).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You should be able to open an account w/o any problems. I was able to open a joint account at a credit union. I had to be the primary and my wife was the secondary. She does not have a SSN/ITIN or anything. We just used her passport. 

We did however fill out the ever mysterious W8-BEN. Here's another post on it. 

[EDIT] There's some good information in that thread. 

Edited by Scott001

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Like a few others have commented, credit unions seem to be more immigrant-friendly. We were able to start a debit card/checking account with my wife with no problems. Actually, we also did a used car loan, where I was the co-signer on the loan. Trying to build up her credit rating. Gotta love credit unions.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, sashsash said:

That's nice :) When I went there to open a bank account they said that I need to have any ID with my new last name (obviously I changed it and back then I didn't have state ID) since my SSN is already on my married name. They didn't accept marriage certificate as a proof of name change lol

After I got my state ID I opened an account in Wells Fargo but I cannot be added to my husband's account at Chase (they require green card).

That’s odd, I guess each Chase has different policy? My husband was not able to add me to his USAA account so we looked around to other bank and we asked Chase since my husband has an old account with them and all they asked me is a utility bill that’s has my name and my passport that matches the name on the utility bill, and that’s it.  She was able to add me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.