Tidus992

Cannot open joint account or add wife to bank account.

36 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Tidus992 said:

Thanks for the help everyone, going to try Bank Of America tomorrow.  I'll let you guys know what happens.

Do you have a personal banker at Bank Of America?  If not request one and in the future you can open accounts with a phone call and you can sign paperwork later.

ChickBoy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
15 hours ago, Tidus992 said:

Thanks for the help everyone, going to try Bank Of America tomorrow.  I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks everyone for the tips Bank Of America worked with just a passport and SS# and immigrant friendly.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We had similar problems.  I tried to talk the bank into just adding her to the account.  Since we used her married name on the utility bill and her passport still had her maiden name they would not add her.  I was told if they did add her even with the marriage cert as proof that my account would be locked and funds frozen until an investigation was done.  It was enough for me to stop trying. 

We just got done with the green card interview.   It did not seem to matter to her if my wife was on the bank account or not.  We had proof of our marriage and pictures with family.  I did get her on the utility bills and on my home depot card.  I would not stress over it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I was able to add but not to my checking account but to my savings account. As, I had Reserve Line of Credit and they said for me to add her I need to close my Reserve line of Credit. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to pay off the reserve line of credit to close it and add her to my checking account. I might try and add her to my Credit Union account. So, let me see. Also, her name on the Social Security is her maiden name and not our new married name as we applied for Social Securiity prior to submitting her AOS

So, now we have in our Savings account her name with her maiden name. So, once she gets her Greendcard, then only it will change and then they said she can be added to checking. Also, reason being that in her SS card it says "Cannot Work", so that was the reason why she was not able to be added. This is with US Bank. I need to go to my credit union and add her.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.