Jump to content
David & Olga

K3 Visa Viability in 2019

80 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Due to recent backlogs in the Processing Centers with the I-130 applications, would K3 Visa applications be more viable now that the gap between the processing of these two applications has widened? Or may this be a misconception as all visa applications are continually becoming backlogged at the same time - not just the I-130? What are your thoughts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For now it seems that K3 is still not very relevant.   You can apply but less than 10 got approved last fiscal year.   So far I've seen 3 this fiscal year in October, January, April in DOS stats.  2 in CDJ and 1 in Tegucigalpa.


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

For now it seems that K3 is still not very relevant.   You can apply but less than 10 got approved last fiscal year.   So far I've seen 3 this fiscal year in October, January, April in DOS stats.  2 in CDJ and 1 in Tegucigalpa.

I do think that the K-3 visa serves it purpose now more than ever. The Nebraska Service Center has a 11-14.5 month processing time for I-130s (and looks like it'll continue to slow down due a seeming increase in scrutiny) so i would hope that people start considering the K3 again. In last couple of years, the truism was "K3's are obsolete due to similar processing times to I-130" and thusly making no sense. Hopefully USCIS reconsiders the purpose of this Visa and approves more in 2019. I am going to be submitting a I-129F application in anticipation of lengthier I-130 review times - i just hope that it isn't a tide rising all ships with delays because then this would be futile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The K-3 was viable when the Cr-1/IR-1 wait was multiple years. Right now there is a few months difference at most, not years. So I wouldn’t expect an increase at this time. In fact, it decreased to its lowest levels ever during the peak backlogs this past fiscal year.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/17: sent

12/14/17: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, davidjervis38 said:

I am going to be submitting a I-129F application in anticipation of lengthier I-130 review times

It really doesn't cost more other than the cost to prepare the petition.   Hopefully it doesn't go to Potomac.

 

11 minutes ago, davidjervis38 said:

i just hope that it isn't a tide rising all ships with delays because then this would be futile. 

If it was viable everyone would do it and then processing times would increase.


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, davidjervis38 said:

I do think that the K-3 visa serves it purpose now more than ever. The Nebraska Service Center has a 11-14.5 month processing time for I-130s (and looks like it'll continue to slow down due a seeming increase in scrutiny) so i would hope that people start considering the K3 again. In last couple of years, the truism was "K3's are obsolete due to similar processing times to I-130" and thusly making no sense. Hopefully USCIS reconsiders the purpose of this Visa and approves more in 2019. I am going to be submitting a I-129F application in anticipation of lengthier I-130 review times - i just hope that it isn't a tide rising all ships with delays because then this would be futile. 

There are big differences between a K-3 and a CR-1 which are worthy of consideration.......the requirement to adjust status after entry via a K-3 (if "lucky" enough to receive approval) is very significant.

Edited by missileman

                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can always try.  However, keep in mind 2 things.  It is USCIS policy to marry the I-129F and the I-130 and adjudicate them together.  It's the NVC policy to close any I-129F that they receive at the same time or after the I-130. 

 

If you wan to try and get around those two things PLUS play the $1225 AOS after arrival you are certainly within your realm to do so. 

 


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I researched the I129f and found a couple of things misleading.  There is an assumption that there are more being denied.  But from what I’ve been observing is that yes the I129 is being denied but that they (NSC) are pushing through the I-130 faster.  The processing time right now is stated to take 11-14.5 months but some that are filing the I129 are having their I130’s processed through Nebraska from 1-3 months.  We don’t know exactly how many chose to file the I129 that were approved for the I-130 instead.  

 

The second thing, there’s an assumption that if the I129 was a viable option,  then everyone would be doing it and bogging down the system.  I think the attorneys and various agencies have done a good job of spreading the word that it’s an outdated process and not worth the time to do.

 

i could be completely wrong but we will see as I filed the I129f this week.  If by some remote chance the K3 is approved, then I’m ok with paying the extra fee for adjustment.  11-14.5 is just insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, Paul & Mary said:

It really doesn't cost more other than the cost to prepare the petition.   Hopefully it doesn't go to Potomac.

 

If it was viable everyone would do it and then processing times would increase.

Why not Potomac?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CSTSLP said:

Why not Potomac?

Based on the k3/k4 processing times:

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

 


March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CSTSLP said:

Ok so I researched the I129f and found a couple of things misleading.  There is an assumption that there are more being denied.  But from what I’ve been observing is that yes the I129 is being denied but that they (NSC) are pushing through the I-130 faster.  The processing time right now is stated to take 11-14.5 months but some that are filing the I129 are having their I130’s processed through Nebraska from 1-3 months.  We don’t know exactly how many chose to file the I129 that were approved for the I-130 instead.  

 

The second thing, there’s an assumption that if the I129 was a viable option,  then everyone would be doing it and bogging down the system.  I think the attorneys and various agencies have done a good job of spreading the word that it’s an outdated process and not worth the time to do.

 

i could be completely wrong but we will see as I filed the I129f this week.  If by some remote chance the K3 is approved, then I’m ok with paying the extra fee for adjustment.  11-14.5 is just insane.

Where exactly are you getting this information?


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some stats on Nebraska SC. I found 26 I-130 petitions that were approved significantly faster than the current average (11 months at best):

- 12 were expedite, military, transfer or other reason

- 9 sent form I-129F for K3 with or after the I-130 (all approved in less than 6 months)

- 4 I don't know

- 1 said none of the above

People who sent the I-129F petition had their application denied and the I-130 approved at the same time, 1 to 3 months after the PD of the I-129F.

I don't know if there has been similar cases in other SCs, certainly wouldn't make a difference for Potomac though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JulienR said:

Some stats on Nebraska SC. I found 26 I-130 petitions that were approved significantly faster than the current average (11 months at best):

- 12 were expedite, military, transfer or other reason

- 9 sent form I-129F for K3 with or after the I-130 (all approved in less than 6 months)

- 4 I don't know

- 1 said none of the above

People who sent the I-129F petition had their application denied and the I-130 approved at the same time, 1 to 3 months after the PD of the I-129F.

I don't know if there has been similar cases in other SCs, certainly wouldn't make a difference for Potomac though.

This is absolutely correct. The 11-14.5 months for typical processing comes directly off of the USCIS site for processing times. 

 

What we don’t know is with this small sampling is it typical or atypical for Nebraska. Also as you said we don’t know about the other SC either. I wonder if your I130 is accepted in say Nebraska if they will automatically process the I129 there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...