Jump to content
Adi49

Calling each other husband and wife in whatsapp chats

64 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

It recently came to my attention that some chats that i submitted to USCIS contained conversations where we called each other husband and wife. All of the instances occur before we even met in person, so it was actually impossible for us to be married. My worry is that an interviewing officer will see this and reject our application even though we are not married and we just occasionally call each other that because it's a term of endearment. My fiances interview is next week and i just want to know the likelihood that some of these instances are caught/flagged by the embassy officer and whether it would be a big problem if they did notice it? In 50 pages of chats submitted its maybe mentioned like 10 times or so. Also does the consular officer or anyone review the documents already submitted beforehand? Are they reading through everything or just making sure all required documents are there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adi49 said:

It recently came to my attention that some chats that i submitted to USCIS contained conversations where we called each other husband and wife. All of the instances occur before we even met in person, so it was actually impossible for us to be married. My worry is that an interviewing officer will see this and reject our application even though we are not married and we just occasionally call each other that because it's a term of endearment. My fiances interview is next week and i just want to know the likelihood that some of these instances are caught/flagged by the embassy officer and whether it would be a big problem if they did notice it? In 50 pages of chats submitted its maybe mentioned like 10 times or so. Also does the consular officer or anyone review the documents already submitted beforehand? Are they reading through everything or just making sure all required documents are there.

It would be helpful if you could fill out your timeline with the consulate info. 

 

That said, we have indeed seen K-1s denied for being "too married," and a variety of factors can lead the CO to conclude that, including texts submitted with the petition.

 

There is no way to know how it will be perceived in your particular situation.  And yes, the CO will review the entire file before the interview.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It would be helpful if you could fill out your timeline with the consulate info. 

 

That said, we have indeed seen K-1s denied for being "too married," and a variety of factors can lead the CO to conclude that, including texts submitted with the petition.

 

There is no way to know how it will be perceived in your particular situation.  And yes, the CO will review the entire file before the interview.  

Is there any reply that she can give that will remedy the situation. We talked online for 6 months before meeting in person. These chats are from very early on in our relationship before we even met. I submitted everything to USCIS in september 2018, and had my i129F approved by USCIS in February of 2019. By April of 2019 NVC forwarded my case to the embassy and i scheduled an appointment for early July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

It got by USCIS and is at the consulate?

Bluntly put, your worry is valid, and you're probably toast.

 

The lesson here, and easiest thing to do, is to screen one's communications before sending them for official scrutiny.

Never underestimate the scrutiny or absolute power of the consulate over your case.

Do you think this will be an automatic rejection or can it depend on how she will answer the officer's question? If we say we just call each other that, at that point we had not even met yet would that work. We only met two times in person, and the second time we got engaged. Wouldnt it be hard to get married so quickly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Best to answer honestly as always. 

 

But to help you with some of questions, I will approach each question as if I am a CO.

That doesn't even sound right. You haven't met but are calling each other husband and wife. Who does that? And how can you prove you did not get married somewhere when you finally met since you were so inclined to label each other spouses beforehand?

 

Absolutely not. I see plenty of cases of marriage on the first visit. Arranged marriages included. In fact, it is easier to do and more common than you think. This is the reason why I (the CO) believe that you are already married.

 

 

@Adi49,

 

As you can see from me pretending to be a CO responding to your questions, you have already cast a huge cloud of doubt on your case. You will now be fighting through this cloud of doubt. It may very well be ok and the CO will be understanding. But these COs are trained to weed out possible cases of fraud. And if they have any doubt, they may deny a case. Especially K1 cases.

 

And it is true that marriage at first sight is common. We see this all the time here on VJ. So don't think it is not easy to do.

 

Also, as already mentioned, it is important to know what country you are from.

She is interviewing at mumbai in india. We call each other that as a term of endearment. Guys call their girlfriends wifey all the time and they are not married. I appreciate you showing how a CO would think. As you said best we can do is be honest. We were being cute and we call each other that even though we hadn't met in person because we just connected on an emotional level. We talked for 6 months before we met in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please update this thread and let us know how the interview goes.


K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you send any photos of an engagement ceremony where you exchanged rings, dressed in wedding clothing, had a big party with family, made promises to each other?  Sometimes we see examples of this here on VJ and they get denied because of photos of formal engagement ceremonies.  It's hard to say whether a CO will read all 50 pages of chat records looking for every time you called each other "wifey" and "hubby."  Is this an arranged marriage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

Did you send any photos of an engagement ceremony where you exchanged rings, dressed in wedding clothing, had a big party with family, made promises to each other?  Sometimes we see examples of this here on VJ and they get denied because of photos of formal engagement ceremonies.  It's hard to say whether a CO will read all 50 pages of chat records looking for every time you called each other "wifey" and "hubby."  Is this an arranged marriage?

Our photos are really good actually. We did a simple ring exchange in traditional but not formal clothing. All other photos are of us doing normal couple activities like shopping, having dinner, playing games, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Adi49 said:

Our photos are really good actually. We did a simple ring exchange in traditional but not formal clothing. All other photos are of us doing normal couple activities like shopping, having dinner, playing games, etc.

The USCIS will likely set aside all of the chat evidence and ignore it since it is not evidence of meeting within the past two years, which is what they try to determine.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Roel said:

Well, I'd start researching the spouse visa at this point.

90+% may skate through unscathed but it only takes one to get bit.  People wonder why a few of us harp on this issue 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to share that Mumbai, India is not an easy consulate whether a K1 or CR1/IR1(any visa application) presenting an honest and genuine answer to their questions.  2 things that could be an uphill battle for you are:

  1. Pictures - looking too married
  2. Chats (if read) - calling hubby and wife

Without either of these things, Mumbai scrutinizes their cases.  India is a high fraud country and that does not work in anyone's favor, real relationship or not.  Many VJ members who have a bona fide marriage/relationship face an uphill battle. Search for posts from Mumbai.  In no way am I discouraging you from proceeding be honest and genuine and see what happens.

Best wishes on this journey!

 

6 hours ago, Adi49 said:

She is interviewing at mumbai in india. We call each other that as a term of endearment. Guys call their girlfriends wifey all the time and they are not married. I appreciate you showing how a CO would think. As you said best we can do is be honest. We were being cute and we call each other that even though we hadn't met in person because we just connected on an emotional level. We talked for 6 months before we met in person.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adi49 said:

Our photos are really good actually. We did a simple ring exchange in traditional but not formal clothing. All other photos are of us doing normal couple activities like shopping, having dinner, playing games, etc.

Ring exchange in India and calling each other wife/husband.

 

I am not optimistic about the results of the interview.... I'm pretty sure they will find you are "too married"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...