lucy 242

Will they actually read chat logs?

35 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Daphne K said:

In my opinion that would be the sort of proof that would be needed/used for when you have to do ROC to remove the conditions of your 2 year green card (same as the mingling of finances, joint bank accounts, taxes, utility bills etc.) because that would be ‘normal’ for a married couple that lives together. 

At this point, you have been married and apart (as many of us) and the CO wil know that there will not be a lot of proof in terms of the ones mentioned above since you don’t live in the same country. 

Not sure what other members think, but ‘creating’ proof in the form of adding a name to a CC all of a sudden without any history would not be considered really good proof I think? 

Will our honeymoon hotel reservation be better? and more pics?

2 minutes ago, lucy 242 said:

Will our honeymoon hotel reservation be better? and more pics?

My packet to bring to my interview has the following (only regarding the additional proof btw..):

• Pictures of the wedding. About 10 pictures and these are pictures of just us but also pictures with all the family members and guests.

• FB screenshots regarding the wedding and I included the part where it shows how many ‘likes’ it had in an attempt to show that many people support us. If it doesn’t help, it doesn’t harm either..

• Pictures of us on different trips together

• Screenshots of FB regarding those trips (because they show the date and location)

• Flight reservations of a trip we made together to see my brother in the UK last Christmas (it has both our names on it)

• Pictures of us with the family in the UK to actually prove that we went (a flight confirmation alone does not prove that you actually went 😉)

• My passport stamps of all the trips I made to see my husband (which they could also see in my passport of course)

• A few e-mails (about 2 for every year to show continuous relationship)

• A few screenshots of random text messages up until now (the decent ones.. 😊)

• A screenshot of an overview of our FT calls up until now

• I even added a screenshot that shows how long we have been FB friends and how many friends we have in common. Again, if it doesn’t help it will not hurt either..

My lawyer also sent me all the copies of our wedding cards and the statements of our family members (we have 5). I will bring those too but I’m not sure if they will carry a lot of weight..

By no means am I saying that my packet of proof is the perfect packet, I just tried to use common sense when I assembled it and I am confident that it could be good proof if the CO wants to see it.

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

5 minutes ago, Daphne K said:

My packet to bring to my interview has the following (only regarding the additional proof btw..):

• Pictures of the wedding. About 10 pictures and these are pictures of just us but also pictures with all the family members and guests.

• FB screenshots regarding the wedding and I included the part where it shows how many ‘likes’ it had in an attempt to show that many people support us. If it doesn’t help, it doesn’t harm either..

• Pictures of us on different trips together

• Screenshots of FB regarding those trips (because they show the date and location)

• Flight reservations of a trip we made together to see my brother in the UK last Christmas (it has both our names on it)

• Pictures of us with the family in the UK to actually prove that we went (a flight confirmation alone does not prove that you actually went 😉)

• My passport stamps of all the trips I made to see my husband (which they could also see in my passport of course)

• A few e-mails (about 2 for every year to show continuous relationship)

• A few screenshots of random text messages up until now (the decent ones.. 😊)

• A screenshot of an overview of our FT calls up until now

• I even added a screenshot that shows how long we have been FB friends and how many friends we have in common. Again, if it doesn’t help it will not hurt either..

My lawyer also sent me all the copies of our wedding cards and the statements of our family members (we have 5). I will bring those too but I’m not sure if they will carry a lot of weight..

By no means am I saying that my packet of proof is the perfect packet, I just tried to use common sense when I assembled it and I am confident that it could be good proof if the CO wants to see it.

You have a lot of proof, we don't have all that unfortunately, we don't even use facebook, I think I have an old account that has 10 friends that I haven't seen or talked to in 15 years

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would suggest side-loading more evidence when you upload documents at NVC stage, via CEAC website.  A few photos, definitely passport stamps showing trips when you spent time together, boarding passes, hotel receipts showing both names, etc.  Chat logs aren't evidence of time spent together, and quality time together is the best evidence of a bona fide relationship when you live in different countries.  Good luck!

8 minutes ago, lucy 242 said:

You have a lot of proof, we don't have all that unfortunately, we don't even use facebook, I think I have an old account that has 10 friends that I haven't seen or talked to in 15 years

Just bring what you have and don’t stress out about what you don’t have.

You can explain your situation at the interview and the CO will be able to tell if you guys have a good case by the way you answer the questions too. It does not all revolve around only the relationship proof that you are able or unable to provide. I still think that creating last minute proof of  a bonafide marriage (opening a CC now just for the sake of it) will not help..

Make sure that all the other paperwork is complete and correct. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

1 hour ago, lucy 242 said:

Maybe my husband can order a credit card with my name? will that be a good idea?

That was our of our petition

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Sometimes they read/skim thru the chat logs....sometimes they don't. I took pages of Skype chats and WhatsApp conversations but they were never read. Each IO is different.

Wishing you the best of luck in your visa journey! 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As to chat logs, they tend to skim them a bit. The CO did look through our chats anywhere as he asked my husband about them. but dark humor or sarcasm is hardly an issue.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

3 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

As to chat logs, they tend to skim them a bit. The CO did look through our chats anywhere as he asked my husband about them. but dark humor or sarcasm is hardly an issue.

The question is do they prepare for the interview and read everything before we arrive or they just look at it when we are there...? 

I kinda find it hard to believe that they sit for hours and read everything.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, lucy 242 said:

The question is do they prepare for the interview and read everything before we arrive or they just look at it when we are there...? 

I kinda find it hard to believe that they sit for hours and read everything.. 

Doubt they read everything. They do it generally before the interview so when they go into the interview with you they already have a question or two in mind about them if they want to ask something. Obviously if they skim them and then see something alarming they might read more but just depends on the CO. For instance, we only sent in maybe 30 pages of texts/chats showing a communication time line, the CO skimmed them enough to see "pogi" in the texts 5-10 times so asked my husband who was saying that. "Pogi" means handsome in Tagalog essentially and he just answered that it was me (the USC) calling him pogi. Very generic, harmless questioning, but again CO can throw in anything they want to know since you supplied them with the evidence, but again sarcasm and dark humor (which I myself admittedly have also) is nothing to worry about. 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 hours ago, debbiedoo said:

you can still be the beneficiary on insurance policies and wills

It's very hard to do this if they don't have a social security number. I can't make my husband the beneficiary of anything because of that. I have to get an executor of the estate instead and then have him listed in there. 

I also cannot have him added to any of my bank accounts because he doesn't have a social security number. 

What I included was:

1.) 1 sample of conversation from every month we've been together (context didn't matter,  just that we're contact)

2.) A few photos from our wedding with family
3.) A few photos of us with friends
4.) Receipts from trips taken together

5.) Plane ticket stubs from visits
6.) Marriage certificate (obviously)

7.) Some vendor contracts from our wedding

8.) Honeymoon trip receipts

I probably sent off way more than needed, but I was edging on the side of playing it safe. 

If you made it through the first part, I would just plan on bringing some good evidence in a binder to the interview. If they want to see more proof, they'll ask and you'll be prepared. 

I was married to an English man years back and I went through this process before. The couple in front of us were unprepared and got taken into another room for long questioning. My ex was very prepared and said that they briefly looked through the "proof" and approved. 

Don't create any new evidence, just bring what you have. They know and understand that if you don't live in the US yet, you won't have some things. That's why you're getting a CR and not an IR. 

Good luck, but try not to lose sleep over it! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
50 minutes ago, RCable said:

It's very hard to do this if they don't have a social security number. I can't make my husband the beneficiary of anything because of that.

Everywhere is different but my husband doesnt have his social yet and except for utilities, he is on everything. wills and power of attorneys do not require it. my life insurance policy does not require it. 

every area is different, perhaps. 

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Just bring what you have and be confident in your relationship, ready to answer any questions. Like others have said, it'll be taken into account that you are still living in separate countries right now, so some things are difficult or impossible to accomplish for the time being, or just more practical to wait until you've moved and are living together.

Pictures from a "non-traditional" wedding will not be an issue. While we did a K1, not a CR1, we still had to bring similar evidence to my husband's AOS interview later on. He arrived in May, and we got legally married about 2 weeks later to suffice the visa, and planned a traditional wedding several months later with friends and family. So our "wedding" pictures didn't necessarily look like wedding pictures - I wasn't wearing white, and it was just at a local park. The primary piece of evidence when it comes to that is the marriage certificate, of course. Plenty of people just do courthouse weddings, it's not an issue.

FYI, you can be added to certain things even without an SSN. Sure, some places may operate differently, but for the most part, you just have to talk to someone who knows what they're doing. We ran into that at my bank. I happen to work for the same company I bank with, so I knew not having an SSN was not an issue, but the first person we spoke with gave us pushback. We had to go see another banker, and he was able to add my husband to my main banking accounts without him having an SSN yet. I was also able to add him to the utility accounts and to my health insurance, as well as my retirement beneficiary at work.

Lycka till, and Grattis!!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.