Alice L

Tourist Visa for Mom

78 posts in this topic

Hi all 

Please help me in this situation my home country is Pakistan 

I am GC holder and pregnant my husband is USC

I want my mom to be with me on this  special occasion. My mom is 55yrs never work in her entire life. My sister is married and lives in Malaysia 

What are her chances for b2 If she applies alone and my father stays in my home country 

I need some suggestions 

What reason we should put in ds160 only to visit me and my husband or we should mention about pregnancy 

My mom dad doesn't have any strong ties in my home country as they are not wealthy they live in a rented house 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 minute ago, Alice L said:

Hi all 

Please help me in this situation my home country is Pakistan 

I am GC holder and pregnant my husband is USC

I want my mom to be with me on this  special occasion. My mom is 55yrs never work in her entire life. My sister is married and lives in Malaysia 

What are her chances for b2 If she applies alone and my father stays in my home country 

I need some suggestions 

What reason we should put in ds160 only to visit me and my husband or we should mention about pregnancy 

My mom dad doesn't have any strong ties in my home country as they are not wealthy they live in a rented house 

only tell the truth on the reason to go to USA

if she has no ties to her country it is not likely she will be granted the B1/B2 visa to visit.

she will need to show strong ties with intent to return in order to be granted a visa.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The visitor visa is not a chance based visa.  No one can tell you what your mom's chances are.

Pregnancy is not a tourism activity, so don't mention it.  She can mention going to visit you.  No need to mention pregnancy.  Coming to care for you or the baby is considered work which is not permitted on the visitor visa, so never ever mention pregnancy as a reason for wanting a tourist visa.  

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Agreed with others. No one can give you any definitive answer about her chances. Seeing as she rents a house, never worked (no income on her own)... not good ties obviously.

Has she ever traveled outside of Malaysia? Any travel history? 

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Khallaf said:

only tell the truth on the reason to go to USA

if she has no ties to her country it is not likely she will be granted the B1/B2 visa to visit.

she will need to show strong ties with intent to return in order to be granted a visa.

This is not necessarily true. I have a friend whose mother was in the same situation as you describe, late 50's in age, living in Pakistan, not much substantial wealth, retired from her job, i.e. seemingly not very many ties to her home country. In fact, she had a further strike against her as she was divorced and didn't have a husband to return to. Nine months ago she applied for and received a b1/b2 visa to visit her pregnant daughter.

OP, you have nothing to lose, beyond the application fee, to go forward and apply. My own wife's mother, from Colombia, also successfully received a tourist visa last year to come to the US and visit with her daughter.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

29 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Agreed with others. No one can give you any definitive answer about her chances. Seeing as she rents a house, never worked (no income on her own)... not good ties obviously.

Has she ever traveled outside of Malaysia? Any travel history? 

My home country is Pakistan not Malaysia 

We all travelled once to Dubai in 2012 for tourism 

If she is being asked in interview about pregnancy should she say yes or don't know. 

She doesn't have strong ties but my father is not applying with her will that considered as a strong tie for her to come back?

2 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

This is not necessarily true. I have a friend whose mother was in the same situation as you describe, late 50's in age, living in Pakistan, not much substantial wealth, retired from her job, i.e. seemingly not very many ties to her home country. In fact, she had a further strike against her as she was divorced and didn't have a husband to return to. Nine months ago she applied for and received a b1/b2 visa to visit her pregnant daughter.

OP, you have nothing to lose, beyond the application fee, to go forward and apply. My own wife's mother, from Colombia, also successfully received a tourist visa last year to come to the US and visit with her daughter.

Thanks alot that was alot supportive 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 minute ago, Alice L said:

My home country is Pakistan not Malaysia 

We all travelled once to Dubai in 2012 for tourism 

If she is being asked in interview about pregnancy should she say yes or don't know. 

She doesn't have strong ties but my father is not applying with her will that considered as a strong tie for her to come back?

Thanks alot that was alot supportive 

• Tell the truth when asked
  • Not really, they will look into her total circumstance

Anyway, try with all possible supported documents as no one can really tell what the outcome is until the interview finishes.

• Some of my relatives had no issue getting their visas to come, although they have little money in their banks and not well-paid jobs (making $100-$200/month). 
  • Some of my relatives who came for the interviews with very similar background, some got rejected, some got accepted.
  • The end of last year 2018, a married couple, also my relatives, came for the interview, they accepted the husband but rejected his wife.  This couple is not rich, just average wealth.

12 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

It's not false either. No/Weak ties is certainly a strong factor in a refusal. I would call it being "not likely' accurate. But it absolutely does not mean it will result in a refusal either. The CO looks at the totality of the case. A CO may see somebody with no ties but appears otherwise trustworthy and grant the visa because they do not think they are a risk for overstay or working.

Anyway, I agree - apply and find out.

10 minutes ago, Alice L said:

Honest.

There's nothing honest about saying "i don't know" to a question for which you do know the answer.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

It's not false either. No/Weak ties is certainly a strong factor in a refusal. I would call it being "not likely' accurate. But it absolutely does not mean it will result in a refusal either. The CO looks at the totality of the case. A CO may see somebody with no ties but appears otherwise trustworthy and grant the visa because they do not think they are a risk for overstay or working.

Anyway, I agree - apply and find out.

Honest.

There's nothing honest about saying "i don't know" to a question for which you do know the answer.

Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Geowrian, what you say is all true. I was just trying to give another perspective. Young people from high fraud countries, especially those of limited means, seem to have a very high rate of refusal for tourist visas. Older parents of citizens and LPR's seem to have a lower rate of refusal and strong ties back to the home country aren't always the limiting factor.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

14 minutes ago, Alice L said:

Does she, the mom, know about your pregnancy? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Just now, Alice L said:

Yes she does 

Then why the haziness about her answering the pregnancy question if she's asked about it? 

Attempts at lying to get a visa is a serious issue. You already suggested she could lie about her length of visit in another thread. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.