Alice L

Tourist Visa for Mom

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

By the way, my mother in law stated a length of stay of 3 months in her application and interview, and was authorized to stay for 6 months at her POE. As it turned out, she was so angry with her daughter after 1 month of stay and came to me asking that I purchase her a ticket for an immediate flight home. I advised my wife and her mother to work it out, which they did, and she enjoyed her a full 2.5 month stay. I am recounting the story because a length of stay can be a rather amorphous thing until it actually happens.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

17 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

By the way, my mother in law stated a length of stay of 3 months in her application and interview, and was authorized to stay for 6 months at her POE. As it turned out, she was so angry with her daughter after 1 month of stay and came to me asking that I purchase her a ticket for an immediate flight home. I advised my wife and her mother to work it out, which they did, and she enjoyed her a full 2.5 month stay. I am recounting the story because a length of stay can be a rather amorphous thing until it actually happens.

What matters at POE is besides the point. If an applicant intends to visit for 3 months, then that's what needs to be stated on the ds160. But numerous folks tend to believe stating anything lengthy on the ds160 harms their odds and are willing to, shall we say, fudge the truth. Then the mind change happens as soon as the passport with visa is picked up. 

Why does the ds160 asks for entry and exit dates if CBP grants almost everyone a 180-day admission on a B2? 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

1 hour ago, WeGuyGal said:

What matters at POE is besides the point. If an applicant intends to visit for 3 months, then that's what needs to be stated on the ds160. But numerous folks tend to believe stating anything lengthy on the ds160 harms their odds and are willing to, shall we say, fudge the truth. Then the mind change happens as soon as the passport with visa is picked up. 

Why does the ds160 asks for entry and exit dates if CBP grants almost everyone a 180-day admission on a B2? 

I noticed that usually for my business trips I was granted 90 days and for all my leisure ones 180 days. This was on a 10y multiple entry visa. 

6 hours ago, Alice L said:

Second thing I am not a citizen yet so how will my mom become immigrant?

Because immediate relatives of citizens are forgiven overstay 

many other parents have come, just hung around illegally for a while till their kid naturalized then petition for them and then boom overstay forgiven and they are all legal. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

many other parents have come, just hung around illegally for a while till their kid naturalized then petition for them and then boom overstay forgiven and they are all legal. 

Funny how that happens so often...🙄

58 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

OP in this instance just might be wishing her mom around during and following birth rather than an overstay. Not uncommon for S. Asian mothers to visit to help around childbirth. Generally help with household chores primarily cooking, and childcare if the mom goes back to work. Something that could be construed as illegal work on a B2. AOS for an IR of an eventual USC has happened in the past. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

2 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

OP in this instance just might be wishing her mom around during and following birth rather than an overstay. Not uncommon for S. Asian mothers to visit to help around childbirth. Generally help with household chores primarily cooking, and childcare if the mom goes back to work. Something that could be construed as illegal work on a B2. AOS for an IR of an eventual USC has happened in the past. 

The OP is from Pakistan.

10 hours ago, Alice L said:

So me and my mother has a strong bond non of us are crazy about being in United States

Have you all considered moving back to Pakistan?  Perhaps you would be happier there?

3 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

OP in this instance just might be wishing her mom around during and following birth rather than an overstay. 

I get that - she was asking why a CO might suspect mom of immigrant intent so just clarifying why. 

10 hours ago, WeGuyGal said:

I am not a working woman , I just want my mom for moral support as this is my first baby and I am scared 

12 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

But if you study the current law of adjustment of status, if someone is illegally stayed or overstayed in any circumstances 

They won't be able to adjust their status.

1 minute ago, Alice L said:

But if you study the current law of adjustment of status, if someone is illegally stayed or overstayed in any circumstances 

They won't be able to adjust their status.

Not true at all. There are circumstances where they CAN adjust status if they came into the US legally.

For example, an adult child can adjust the status of their parents even if the parents have overstayed their visa. People can adjust status of their spouses if they overstayed a visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.