PirateLiker

Residency without signing I864

138 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ben&Zian said:

Don't know why you have had these doubts, continued on with the process, and clearly still have doubts... don't marry, just be up front with her and let her go home. You knew the process and requirements, or should have, going into this whole thing from the start so, either finish it properly or don't, but don't hold her in limbo because of your own unease.

He missed that train long time ago.....

Before this, he said he had problem with the women/marriage herself/itself

, now the affidavit ....

I am very surprised that he is dragging this for so long.... She will be out of status by the end of February based on his previous threads... He should have talked with her waaay before this and then just let her go home like 2 months ago, maybe it would have been easier for her to get her old job back and so on....

@PirateLiker

To be on topic you knew what you are getting into. K1 or CR1 doesn't matter, both have affidavit requirements AFAIK. I can relate to the fact that you don't want to be responsible for somebody, but if that is the case it might have some other underlying issues.... If you don't trust her and so on as suggested in the previous thread just tell her and support her to go back home.

What she thinks why you two didn't get married by now and filed the paperwork?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Roel said:

I wonder if OP seriously expected any positive comments. That would be hilarious. 

I think he is a troll

A true narcissist would post here for the entertainment value. Not that he hasnt done all of these horrible things in real life but he's obviously not getting any rise or supply from the beneficiary so he's trying to get that from us here. He's getting high off of our outrage guys. Know that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, ineedadisplayname said:

I think he is a troll

Honestly I don't think he is.  He's gotten himself (and by extension this lady) into a huge mess...but I sadly believe this situation is quite real.

If you check his profile page you can see he's been reading this thread and seeing the posts by other members---I think he just doesn't really know what to say in response at this point.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
1 minute ago, Going through said:

Honestly I don't think he is.  He's gotten himself (and by extension this lady) into a huge mess...but I sadly believe this situation is quite real.

If you check his profile page you can see he's been reading this thread and seeing the posts by other members---I think he just doesn't really know what to say in his defense at this point.

That is super sad then... I just don't understand why is she keeping up with all this... I would be questioning by now why we didn't get married and so on.. A lot of ppl gets married asap and file the paperwork so they can move on with their lives...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

OP, If you truly love and care about this woman please and a big please marry her and sign whatever forms need to be signed. The K1 process is stressful enough to add more stress again on top of it. Letting her K1 expire so she becomes an illegal immigrant is far worse than just being straight with her so she can go back home and be in a better situation to travel back to the States in the future. I know a few undocumented/illegal immigrants, and life in the US is very uncertain for them. Just look at whats going on politically in the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, nastra30 said:

OP, If you truly love and care about this woman please and a big please marry her and sign whatever forms need to be signed. The K1 process is stressful enough to add more stress again on top of it. Letting her K1 expire so she becomes an illegal immigrant is far worse than just being straight with her so she can go back home and be in a better situation to travel back to the States in the future. I know a few undocumented/illegal immigrants, and life in the US is very uncertain for them. Just look at whats going on politically in the US.

That is the whole point, imo.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

Marriage is not going to solve trust issues.  This is a recipe for future disaster.  ROC will be fun with this guy.  What are the chances of commingled assets and accounts?  Zero.

She needs to run.  He needs to buy her a ticket home.  

I can't believe this thread is still open. I seriously want to cry. I wish I could call the police on him. What he's planning to do is highly abusive and criminal. I hope so much this woman doesn't come here to be with him. 

Edit: Dang she's already here. My heart breaks for her. 

Edited by little immigrant

4 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

I kinda thought the same thing. But it could be a real situation.

OP was already having doubts about the entire relationship as well. I don't believe this can be salvaged on the virtue that they at least love each other. If he did love her, he would not have acted like a child about the I-864.

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
12 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

P, If you truly love and care about this woman please and a big please marry her and sign whatever forms need to be signed. The K1 process is stressful enough to add more stress again on top of it. Letting her K1 expire so she becomes an illegal immigrant is far worse than just being straight with her so she can go back home and be in a better situation to travel back to the States in the future. I know a few undocumented/illegal immigrants, and life in the US is very uncertain for them. Just look at whats going on politically in the US.

I understand your sentiment, but really I think the biggest mistake they could make is getting married at this point.  It would be doing it under pressure because of the K1 visa, not for anything else, at this point.

He hasn't even really talked about the two of them getting married in past threads and this one---he's talked more about the option of not getting married and him not having to be on the hook for supporting her.  He's talked more about the option of her continuing to live in the US illegally and not file AOS so that he wouldn't have to support her.  He's talked more about the probability of him getting sued for the i-864 should they divorce in the future.  

If he truly loves and cares about this woman, he should let her go---and not put her through any of this anymore. 

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, R&OC said:

Your fiancee sounds like she has her stuff together. See it from a different perspective perhaps: if you support her, and she can kickstart a professional future in the US - you both win. She may be your best "investment" you ever had. One of my friends had such a hard working and financially sound wife that upon their divorce, she paid out so much of their mutual savings that he had a nice cushion to fall back on. And yes, both of them are still friends and on talking term. You can't control every outcome of a relationship but at some point just be willing to make that commitment to each other and simply have trust. If you can't, then let her go back home and be fair to her. Pay for her expenses she had to upfront. Give her enough to restart her life back home. But please don't let her hang dry. 

First of all, thank you to those of you who pointed out that both A and B result in illegal status. Does anyone know where it is codified that B results in illegal status? What triggers the illegal status? Is it not having I864 signed by a certain number of days after the marriage? Or a certain number of days after the visa was used?

I agree, you can't control everything in life. There are no guarantees. Many times I think I should go ahead and marry and adjust status and let the chips fall where they may. At this point that is still what she wants. I am a terrible person but I do hate the fact that I've hurt her so badly. 

I have already given her money for a plane ticket plus 4 months of her previous wages. 

I don't need anyone's pity, but I do detest what I've done and myself.

7 minutes ago, PirateLiker said:

First of all, thank you to those of you who pointed out that both A and B result in illegal status. Does anyone know where it is codified that B results in illegal status? What triggers the illegal status? Is it not having I864 signed by a certain number of days after the marriage? Or a certain number of days after the visa was used?

I agree, you can't control everything in life. There are no guarantees. Many times I think I should go ahead and marry and adjust status and let the chips fall where they may. At this point that is still what she wants. I am a terrible person but I do hate the fact that I've hurt her so badly. 

I have already given her money for a plane ticket plus 4 months of her previous wages. 

I don't need anyone's pity, but I do detest what I've done and myself.

Not filing AoS makes you illegal. Not having the I-864 in the AoS packet makes it incomplete, which will lead it to be denied and makes you illegal. This was already explained earlier and in your previous threads. The fact that you are hung up on the I-864 AND still do not understand the details of the process are extremely troubling.

I have pity for your fiancee, not you.

Edited by mushroomspore

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.