MaryJean

Evidence of bona fide relationship included in initial cr1 filing?

36 posts in this topic

Even if the petition is approved initially, I foresee many, many years of AP for you, based on the volumes of anecdotal evidence here on VJ.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As a point of reference, I visited my wife 15 times in 8 years before we got hitched. Even with all that prior knowledge and face to face time, we went through some rough emotional patches both during the immigration process and her early time adjusting in the US.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

This stinks. You’ve not even met the guy or are married and you’re worried about evidence of relationship. 

Fact is is you have none atm. 

Why not not just go for a visit, apply for a k1 then apply to be on TLC? Sounds right up their alley. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My husband is from Ghana...one of the most difficult embassies to go through. We didn’t have read flags yet I visited 5 times in 2 1/2 years. We had to go through the visa process twice...both with lots of front loading and side loading vidence. I have watched many older women go to Ghana get married on the first trip and be denied. Several are still dealing with the embassy 4 or 5 years later.

I tell you this because I know what it takes to get through a tough embassy. I worry if you ignore the advice of what others have told you already, it’s only going to lead to heartbreak and disappointment. For difficult embassies like Egypt, the best evidence you can provide is time spent together...especially if you have other known red flags like a large age gap and the woman being older which is not customary for the country. Please consider more trips and more time together. I know the waiting sucks. No one wants to be apart from a loved one. But you have to play the game to be successful. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Listen to pushbrk.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
15 hours ago, MaryJean said:

My fiance and I met almost 2 years ago online. He lives in Egypt, and I will be flying there in March and we will be getting married on our first visit.  I know already that getting married on the first visit is going to be a red flag, and I'm also older than he is which is another red flag.  I have heard differing information about what evidence needs to be included in the initial CR1 filing. Obviously I will be including boarding passes and photographs while I'm there and anything else that I can collect from my trip.  However,  Some say that all of the screenshots of the video chats and call logs that I've been collecting since the first day of our relationship don't need to be included in the initial filing... only that you bring it to the interview. Is that correct? Has anyone had any experience with a similar situation at the US Embassy in Cairo?  I know that that is a tough Embassy to deal with, and because of the red flags in our relationship wouldn't it be best for me too front load all of our evidence with the petition, so that the consular officer sees it before the interview?  Thanks.

You said it yourself you know it will be a tough embassy you will be dealing with is hint enough to have good, quality evidence to show a bonafide relationship....Please take the advice from those of us who has been through this process..I, myself dealt with a tough embassy so I had to make sure to have quality evidence to frontload to USCIS and to sideload (optional) to the NVC, but I will tell anyone dealing with a tough embassy to sideload as well...You already have 2 red flags going against you, one being the age difference and the marriage on 1st visit, so you will need to try to overcome both obstacles by getting more visits in besides just one..I wouldn't file after my first trip if I were you...I didn't file (Cr1) until after my 2nd visit and got a 3rd trip in while our petition was still in process at USCIS..Get in more visits, gather good quality evidence, frontload, and sideload..Good luck on your journey!

Unfortunately it appears like OP is the kind of person who solicits advice and when provided with overwhelming evidence that their proposed course of action is fraught with problems and likely doomed to failure, ignores such advice and proceeds because one or two other people in the past had success under similar circumstances.  In statistics such few success stories are called outliers.

You do not make decisions based on outliers unless you believe you’re special, like perhaps you’re the Presidents daughter, best friend, a Nobel Prize winner, Michael Jackson, the Pope etc. Why do you think you will meet with success when most others have failed?

Anyway coming to your actual question, YES am a firm believer in front loading if you have quality evidence and your relation is genuine. In your case I do not see how front loading can hurt although as others pointed out front loading in itself will not overcome the presumption by embassy officials that this is a standard Green Card marriage because for all intents and purposes to my untrained (but experienced) eye the probability that it’s a green card marriage is conservatively 90%+.

Please watch 90 Day Fiance, Season 2 (Mohammed and Danielle) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90_Day_Fiancé#Danielle_&_Mohamed in your spare time. My fiancée and I have a 17 year age difference and I have already visited twice however I am moving to live in her country for four months before filing the petition both for my immigration and our own sakes.

Citizen of the World!

1 hour ago, PaulTheSheik said:

Please watch 90 Day Fiance, Season 2 (Mohammed and Danielle) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/90_Day_Fiancé#Danielle_&_Mohamed in your spare time.

Best advice in this entire thread 

Edited by thatguyuknow

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, thatguyuknow said:

This stinks. You’ve not even met the guy or are married and you’re worried about evidence of relationship. 

Fact is is you have none atm. 

Why not not just go for a visit, apply for a k1 then apply to be on TLC? Sounds right up their alley. 

A fiance visa in this set of circumstances is even more doomed to fail.  Unless you just want to be on TV during the failure, it's a waste of time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Just curious, whose idea was it to get married on the first visit?

Try suggesting to him that you will move to Egypt after the wedding and see what his reaction is.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm from the UK, hubby is from Michigan and is a retired US Army LTC.   We are currently stationed overseas.

Here is our immigration journey so far....

10.26.13 - Our wedding in Scotland 

11.26.14 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate, Frankfurt (DCF)

11.18.14 - Returned to Scotland to renew our vows for our first wedding anniversary

01.08.15 - NOA2 received in snail mail, together with case number and Packet 3 instructions

02.15.15 - Submitted Packet 3

02.17.15 - Packet 4 received by email with instructions to schedule medical and interview

02.18.15 - Email authorisation received from Consulate to gain access to appointment calendar

03.03.15 - Medical

03.18.15 - Interview - Approved

03.21.15 - Visa in hand

06.10.15 - POE Chicago (final destination Detroit)

07.20.15 - Received SSN in mail

07.27.15 - Received 2 year green card in mail

The journey to ROC starts here...!

10.05.15 - Returned to Germany on government orders

05.25.17 - Mailed ROC package to California Service Centre

06.14.17 - Received NOA 1 (dated 05.30.17) in mail

09.05.18 - Received a second NOA (dated 08.11.18) in mail granting a further six months extension to green card due to 'processing delays'

11.26.18 - ROC - Approved

12.05.18 - Approval Notice I-797 received in mail

12.18.18 - 10 year green card received in mail

The journey to citizenship starts here...!

15 hours ago, bakphx1 said:

It’s a textbook Green card marriage.  But the USC in these cases is always in love and is sure this time it’s different.  OP should save her time and money.

Maybe the OP is not necessarily in love.  She is an older woman who hasn't had that kind of attention in a while.  She is blinded by the possibility of having a young man on her arm.  She is lonely and he is fulfilling her desire to feel young again.  Love is blind.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Maybe the OP is not necessarily in love.  She is an older woman who hasn't had that kind of attention in a while.  She is blinded by the possibility of having a young man on her arm.  She is lonely and he is fulfilling her desire to feel young again.  Love is blind.  

Maybe, but the issue is really not whether SHE is in love.  It isn't about love at all, actually.  Arranged marriage folks have bona fide marriage relationships.  It's about whether one or more of the parties is in it for the immigration benefit.  Really about a judgment call on that question.  If it walks and quacks like a duck, they are probably going to think it's a duck, even if it isn't.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

46 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Maybe, but the issue is really not whether SHE is in love.  It isn't about love at all, actually.  Arranged marriage folks have bona fide marriage relationships.  It's about whether one or more of the parties is in it for the immigration benefit.  Really about a judgment call on that question.  If it walks and quacks like a duck, they are probably going to think it's a duck, even if it isn't.  

That is an excellent point. I didn’t look at it that way. They will still have a battle but that is a different view than I previously had. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

so .... let us know how all this works out.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.