Springrain22

Immigrants could be required to show credit scores if they want to stay in the U.S.

83 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, isla543 said:

I was under the impression the authorized user needs to have a SSN. I see that you applied for a K1, so she doesn't have a SSN yet? Or can you sign up without a SSN?

Your question was a bit similar to mine?  What happens if they don't have a Social Security number? I am interested to see the answers. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline
16 minutes ago, inneedofmyhb said:

Your question was a bit similar to mine?  What happens if they don't have a Social Security number? I am interested to see the answers. 

If you click into the link and read the article, it also has the following paragraph: 

The lack of a credit report or score “would not necessarily be a negative factor” in deciding whether an immigrant could become reliant on public benefits, the proposal states. If no report or score is available, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services may consider immigrants in good standing if they can show little to no debt or a history of paying bills on time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/18_0921_USCIS_Proposed-Rule-Public-Charge.pdf

Here is a link to the actual proposal.

I have not read it and wonder how many if any Journalists sic have.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Daniela M_______ said:

I'm going to ask what might be a very very silly question, but I want to go out of my ignorance about this "benefits" matter:

I'm already living outside my home country, I have an status as temporary resident, I work, I pay a lot of money in taxes and they charge me for other things like access to public care system etc even if you don't use it (it might work a little different in Mexico than in America but you get the point).

So if I need let's say a medical appointment at the public medical service, I'm free to go there and get attended.

I don't get what's the issue about being an immigrant and get access to this benefits (which again, I have no idea where the money come from but I guess it would be from the taxes everyone pays), of course I see a problem if people intend just to live on benefits, but my question goes to those with a legal residence, paying taxes and being useful to society and country economy...

It's an honest question, I have never in my life lived on expenses of public benefits, not even back home and I hope to be able to support myself without any government help for the rest of my life no matter in what country I'm living.

That's really not a silly question at all. It's something that many foreigners find strange about the US, and something that most native born US citizens don't think about much.

In the US, certain services are considered public.  Things like police and fire departments, are expected to mostly serve everyone within a geographical region regardless of the economic status of the people needing services.  I think that is partly because of a perception that the public safety of all is at stake when a crime is committed or a fire occurs.  Police and fire departments don't charge people to receive services either.  (It would create a lot of ethical problems if they did).  Other public institutions like public roads or public parks are equally available to everyone, although some charge for use to fund additional services, like toll bridges.  We also have public education for children, which is tax funded and free, although there are often criticisms of unequal quality between wealthier and poorer school districts.

Medical services are not considered "public" in that sense in the US, at least not in most contexts.  There is some government funding of services for poorer people, which is what this discussion is about keeping immigrants from using.  But it's not like you can just show up somewhere and get medical care the way you could go to a police station and report a crime against you.  You have to first be approved to receive government assistance based on your income and other circumstances, and then you also have to find a doctor or clinic that will accept the government assistance (it's sort of like an insurance the government pays for).  Not all doctors will accept that payment for a variety of reasons, and it doesn't pay for all sorts of treatment.  We don't really have anything like the public care system you are talking about in Mexico. 

The other thing about this is that they are talking about making immigrants show that they have private health insurance.  Private health insurance tends to be pretty expense, so a lot of US citizens don't have it just because they can't afford it.  It's pretty common for people to loose their home and go bankrupt after a serious health problem just because of hospital and medical bills.

So it does kind of make you think that they want to have only well-funded people immigrating. 

The US has some of the most expensive health care in the world, and private insurance is big business.  I believe there's a lot to discuss about the system could be improved for everyone, not just immigrants.

Edited by dawning
Edited to add, yes you can show up at a clinic or emergency room of a hospital and get treatment. You just might have a very large bill after that.

3 hours ago, little immigrant said:

That's OK. At least we know he has a public record now and a credit file. Since we are responsible with our finances his score will improve over time. 

I was just relating how difficult I had it without help and how easy it was for my husband because I was able to add him as an authorized user on my credit card. 

Get him to apply for his own credit card, being an authorized user only gives you so many points on your credit score. It's a good start but not enough. 

2 hours ago, issea said:

Mine is 800 out of 850. But just now I checked the score on BOA app it droped to 793 in September LOL maybe I spent too much on its credit card last month and also because I checked? LOL

Checking your own credit score doesn't affect it, this is a myth. 

Your utilization does though but it changes from month to month. Only worry about it a month or 2 before you take out a big loan. 

1 hour ago, isla543 said:

I was under the impression the authorized user needs to have a SSN. I see that you applied for a K1, so she doesn't have a SSN yet? Or can you sign up without a SSN?

In my experience, you just call the bank or the credit card company and you tell them who you want to add. You just spell out their name. That's all. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

In my experience, you just call the bank or the credit card company and you tell them who you want to add. You just spell out their name. That's all. 

I called my credit card company to add my fiance, they told me they would need his whole SSN, so I can't add him until he gets it. I'm confused, unless certain credit card companies don't need it?

7 minutes ago, isla543 said:

I called my credit card company to add my fiance, they told me they would need his whole SSN, so I can't add him until he gets it. I'm confused, unless certain credit card companies don't need it?

I guess it's different for each company. Do you have another credit card? If not, you could research which banks and companies don't require SSN for authorized users and apply for it 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

"Under a U.S. Department of Homeland Security proposal, intended to determine who is considered “admissible” to the country, immigrants would have to provide evidence of their financial status. This includes applications for public benefits in the U.S., proof of private health insurance to cover certain medical conditions, and their credit histories and credit scores."

I think this is absolutely right!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/guid/F03EE8BE-C105-11E8-B936-2E55B6128C2C

Many can buy a "PERFECT" credit score in many "CORRUPT" countries. Good Luck!

Honest-Love-Respect

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
52 minutes ago, isla543 said:

I've added multiple people to my credit card (NOT bank account though!) and I never was asked about SSN# of the person. They don't care because from their point of view it is your account, and they know what they need to know to go after you. To give specific examples I used AMEX, and Citi VISA cards. AMEX is a not a good idea as it generally not widely accepted outside of US.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Added my wife to Chase credit cards without having to give her SSN and AMEX wanted her SSN. 

If the authorized user's SSN is not attached the credit card, it won't help their credit/credit score.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 hours ago, isla543 said:

No, you can add an authorized user without a SSN, and when she gets it I will notify the credit card company, then they upload her history to the credit agencies. But it seems just her name and my address has generated interest in giving her more credit cards. I might let her start with a small one of her own, then work her way up when she has employment.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.