Springrain22

Immigrants could be required to show credit scores if they want to stay in the U.S.

83 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Springrain22 said:

Just FYI, CreditKarma only shows VantageScore which is not very accurate, as most lenders and credit checks will use your FICO score, which may be totally different (much less) than your score you see on CK.

That's OK. At least we know he has a public record now and a credit file. Since we are responsible with our finances his score will improve over time. 

I was just relating how difficult I had it without help and how easy it was for my husband because I was able to add him as an authorized user on my credit card. 

Edited by little immigrant

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm going to ask what might be a very very silly question, but I want to go out of my ignorance about this "benefits" matter:

I'm already living outside my home country, I have an status as temporary resident, I work, I pay a lot of money in taxes and they charge me for other things like access to public care system etc even if you don't use it (it might work a little different in Mexico than in America but you get the point).

So if I need let's say a medical appointment at the public medical service, I'm free to go there and get attended.

I don't get what's the issue about being an immigrant and get access to this benefits (which again, I have no idea where the money come from but I guess it would be from the taxes everyone pays), of course I see a problem if people intend just to live on benefits, but my question goes to those with a legal residence, paying taxes and being useful to society and country economy...

It's an honest question, I have never in my life lived on expenses of public benefits, not even back home and I hope to be able to support myself without any government help for the rest of my life no matter in what country I'm living.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

11 minutes ago, Daniela M_______ said:

I don't get what's the issue about being an immigrant and get access to this benefits (which again, I have no idea where the money come from but I guess it would be from the taxes everyone pays), of course I see a problem if people intend just to live on benefits, but my question goes to those with a legal residence, paying taxes and being useful to society and country economy...

Immigrants do have access to numerous benefits. Just not certain means-tested one for a minimum period of time or until they are exempt form the I-864.

Benefits that would make somebody a public charge is a different matter.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's easy to have a good credit score if you have help before you arrive. Set my Fiancee up as an authorized user on my one credit card with no foreign fees so she could get daily supplies, or whatever she needs, and pay for medical exam and other visa things and it saved me from having to wire money. Once she comes thru point of entry in November she will probably have a higher score than me LOL.. ( Doubtful) . but she should have no problems. I get credit offers for her daily in the mail so should be set up when she gets here.

Envelopes.jpg

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
21 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Immigrants do have access to numerous benefits. Just not certain means-tested one for a minimum period of time or until they are exempt form the I-864.

Benefits that would make somebody a public charge is a different matter. 

This makes more sense, thanks!

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Timeline
24 minutes ago, issea said:

My FICO score is 800 but so what 😂

It's the credit score challenge!!!! I accept!!! Post them if you got them!!!! LOL I love this Forum.

Credit Score.jpg

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

4 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

It's the credit score challenge!!!! I accept!!! Post them if you got them!!!! LOL I love this Forum.

What is the source (provider + credit reporting borough) of that one? 850 is the highest max I have heard of (barring certain other uses with like auto loans).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Mine is 800 out of 850. But just now I checked the score on BOA app it droped to 793 in September LOL maybe I spent too much on its credit card last month and also because I checked? LOL

Edited by issea

Timeline
18 minutes ago, geowrian said:

What is the source (provider + credit reporting borough) of that one? 850 is the highest max I have heard of (barring certain other uses with like auto loans).

Here is a link explaining how they do the credit score for my primary bank and credit provider Citibank. This is for my personal credit profile ( The most Common), but I also have a business credit score I haven't checked in a while they call that a D&B ( Dunn and Bradstreet I think). that gives you your Business credit score, Not sure what mine is, I don't pay too much attention to that. Citibank said they use information of my Experian credit report.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/FICO-Score

They also had this at the bottom of the page.

Your FICO® Score is calculated based on data from your Equifax credit report using the FICO® Bankcard Score 8 model and may be different from other credit scores. FICO® Scores are intended for and delivered only to the Primary cardmember and only if a FICO® Score is available. Disclosure of this score is not available for all Citi products and Citi may discontinue displaying the score at our discretion.

Edited by Loren Y

Timeline
14 minutes ago, issea said:

Mine is 800 out of 850. But just now I checked the score on BOA app it droped to 793 in September LOL maybe I spent too much on its credit card last month and also because I checked? LOL

You credit score should vary monthly anyway. even with minimal activity. You can see in my 6 month history I had a spike to 562 ( No idea why), but as long as you are in a 10 point window you are doing pretty good. If you are stable and doing things right you shouldn't see more than a few points swing monthly. And the " Soft" pulls you do when you check your own score do not effect it.

Edited by Loren Y

8 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Here is a link explaining how they do the credit score for my primary bank and credit provider Citibank. This is for my personal credit profile ( The most Common), but I also have a business credit score I haven't checked in a while they call that a D&B ( Dunn and Bradstreet I think). that gives you your Business credit score, Not sure what mine is, I don't pay too much attention to that. Citibank said they use information of my Experian credit report.

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/FICO-Score

They also had this at the bottom of the page.

Your FICO® Score is calculated based on data from your Equifax credit report using the FICO® Bankcard Score 8 model and may be different from other credit scores. FICO® Scores are intended for and delivered only to the Primary cardmember and only if a FICO® Score is available. Disclosure of this score is not available for all Citi products and Citi may discontinue displaying the score at our discretion.

Thanks!

Citi uses a 900 point scale (the big 3 credit boroughs have an 850 max), but uses the data from Equifax to generate the score.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Thanks!

Citi uses a 900 point scale (the big 3 credit boroughs have an 850 max), but uses the data from Equifax to generate the score.

Here is my score based on the 850 scale via Transunion.

Credit score 2.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

It's easy to have a good credit score if you have help before you arrive. Set my Fiancee up as an authorized user on my one credit card with no foreign fees so she could get daily supplies, or whatever she needs, and pay for medical exam and other visa things and it saved me from having to wire money. Once she comes thru point of entry in November she will probably have a higher score than me LOL.. ( Doubtful) . but she should have no problems. I get credit offers for her daily in the mail so should be set up when she gets here.

I was under the impression the authorized user needs to have a SSN. I see that you applied for a K1, so she doesn't have a SSN yet? Or can you sign up without a SSN?

I am really confused with this new "proposal" everyone is talking about.  This may come off as ignorance, but honestly, my brain is already all twisted with immigration and doing everything correctly.  This just added more to that confusion.  

My husband never "permanently" lived here, therefore he has no credit history here at all. No Social security, no drivers license, nada.  He only exists in the USCIS system.  How could they possibly request a credit report or proof of health Ins. from him since he is basically "non-existent?" Again, sorry for the ignorant question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.