Soonish

DENIAL AFTER 7+ MONTHS?! WHAT THE HELL.

115 posts in this topic

I’m trying to find a link to the new USCIS policy that they no longer send RFEs for things that make the petition ineligible - such as missing intent to marry letters for the I-129F - and instead they now just deny. REFEs will now be purely for additional clarification or further evidence but not to correct filing errors. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JFH said:

I’m trying to find a link to the new USCIS policy that they no longer send RFEs for things that make the petition ineligible - such as missing intent to marry letters for the I-129F - and instead they now just deny. REFEs will now be purely for additional clarification or further evidence but not to correct filing errors. 

Yes, it does exist somewhere, I have seen it too. Although I was under the impression that it was only applicable to submissions after September 2018.

5 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

as stated before....no sense on crying now...take the CR-1 route after you have a definite NO on the K-1. Sign up for informed delivery and get acquainted with your mailman. There is never enough evidence for immigration, the more the better chances to get approval and be prepared. READ READ READ and if not comfortable enough, hire a lawyer. VJ is a good source of all what will/could and has happened during the whole immigration process. 

Thanks. Yea I think we will have to go CR-1 as now I see that there is some huge fee for an appeal that may take a longer time than K1 anyway.

event.png

NOA 1: 26 Dec 2017

RFE 22 August 2018

NOA 2: 08 September 2018

Medical: 16 October 2018

Interview: 22 October 2018

Visa in Hand: 2 November 2018 

POE: 10 November 2018 - Baltimore

Wedding:  :wub: :

Distance is no demon,

Often I think it can be a blessing for those in love,

a silent, underappreciated blessing.

It will have no power over us.

When you come stumbling to my door after months, with flowers and wine in hand,

I will be ready.

When I pick you up from the airport, the feeling will be unmatched,

that feeling like birds bursting in song from beneath my lungs, 

that feeling unlike any other.

We have to stay strong and remember what is most important;

I love you, and you, me.

The air between us is nothing but a metaphor.

Nothing, not one thing, can come between us.

- Christopher Poindexter - 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, ALGS said:

Someone please tell me this is a joke.

My fiance just called and finally got through to a tier 2, after having kept us waiting with no info AT ALL for 7+ months they just told him they are going to deny us?

WHAT THE (removed) HELL!!! (Sorry, I have rage right now)

I am British, we met in the UK in 2016 and we lived together for about 8 months in the UK while he was stationed there (he is ex-mil). Since he returned to the US I have visited the states 3 times, once for 85 days.

Neither of us has a criminal record at all, no previous marriages, no kids, no debts, no nothing.

All I can think is that it is because we forgot to put photos and letter of intent into the package in our excitement and when we called to try and send them on afterwards they said we couldn't. So we were expecting an RFE.... NOT A DENIAL!!?!

This is pure hell and what are they even doing it for?  Two weeks ago some tier 1 officer said "oh they may have sent something on the 7th July", then the next one we spoke to last week said "no, they've not sent anything" and then today a tier 2 says "they're going to deny it". I feel like it's some sick joke to them.

Please help me.

I know you’re really but frustrated right now and confused and I can’t claim to understand but keep calm. You can appeal the denial. IF they do send a denial. 

Wait for the letter to see what the list as the reason for a denial. Maybe USCIS made a mistake. Maybe you missed something else. Maybe it was just the missing items already noted. It's all speculation.

It is possible to appeal a denied I-129F. This differs from a refused K-1 visa with the I-129F being sent back...that expires, which cannot be appealed.

3 hours ago, ALGS said:

We submitted a written statement stating that we had been residing together in the UK for X amount of months. We did not include photographs etc because it states that you can submit a written statement. From what I had read before we filed it seemed that "front loading" your application was only really necessary from high fraud countries or couples with large age gaps etc. 

Providing multiple forms of evidence of meeting with 2 years is not front-loading. Front-loading refers to sending in items that are not relevant to the I-129F requirements, such as evidence of a bona fide and ongoing relationship.

Just a signed letter is insufficient evidence for the 2 year meeting requirement. It can be included, but they also want something verifiable, as others noted. They won't take somebody just on their word for this.

It is highly unusual for them to outright deny an I-129F, but if there were multiple requirements with very little evidence provided, it is possible.

3 hours ago, ALGS said:

"In-Person Meeting. Submit evidence that you and your fiancé(e) met in person during the 2-year period immediately before you filed this petition. Evidence of this meeting may include, but is not limited to, a written statement from you and/or your fiancé(e) stating the circumstances of your meeting, a copy of airline tickets, passport pages, or other evidence. If you believe you qualify for an exception to the in-person meeting requirement, submit evidence in support of the exception."

I read that as it can be any one of these things, not A plus B plus C.

No single piece of evidence is likely to suffice. It is the petitioner's responsibility to provide a strong case.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
2 hours ago, ALGS said:

The USCIS memorandum on NOIDs and RFEs actually states this:

"If not all of the required initial evidence has been submitted or the officer determines that the totality of the evidence submitted does not meet the applicable standard of proof, the officer should issue an RFE unless he or she determines there is no possibility that additional evidence available to the individual might cure the deficiency."

So they have determined there is no possibility that I can provide the evidence without even sending an RFE. Interesting,

Anyway, thanks for your kind words of support.

I really think they’re trying out the new rule on you. Because with this little evidence new cases starting September would just get a flat denial. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mr.Bob said:

Why didn’t you include any photos especially for a K1? No offense but like the USCIS, I smell something fishy as well.

Well, then I shall assume you are standing in a fish market 😂😂. Nothing fishy, we just thought the photos were for the US Consulate portion of the process. We made an error. 

Thanks though 👍

event.png

RFE 22 August 2018

Distance is no demon,

I will be ready.

I love you, and you, me.

3 hours ago, ALGS said:

Thanks. I will take a look.

If we can't appeal we will not refile K1 we will marry and file spousal, I'm not waiting another 7 months to then wait another 4-6 months to be able to work.

That's correct.  You will not be waiting another 7 months...more like 12-16 months.  I would also recommend the CR-1.  It has many advantages.  But your initial post says you left out the letters of intent to marry plus any real proof of meeting in the last 2 years.  Take a deep breath.  Just start over again.  Get married and file the CR-1.  BTW:  Mail does get lost.  It's possible that the RFE got lost in the mail.  It happens.  God Bless, david

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed for ignoring moderation's warning about bypassing the language filter.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Scandi said:

(I haven't read the whole thread)

You say you didn't include any letters of intent to marry, and not a single proof of having met in person within the last two years (a written statement isn't proof of anything, anyone can make up a story).

So what DID you send? Just the form, a meaningless statement and a couple of passport style photos? If that's the case, then no, they shouldn't and won't issue an RFE. There's way too much missing, I'm surprised it was accepted in the first place (but I have seen it happen at least once before, easy money for USCIS I guess).

Sounds like you have a NOID coming your way. You only have 30 days to respond to it with ALL REQUIRED documents. Use the time wisely.

We have everything ready to go because we thought we would just need it at the consulate stage. We could overnight it and have it there tomorrow.... except USCIS "sent a letter" on the 7th July apparently and still no sign, just a "yea looks like they're going to deny it" over the phone today. So is the 30 days to respond to a NOID an opportunity for us to submit these items? and also are they going to say "you had 30 days from when we sent the letter" because if that is the case they said the letter could take 30 days to reach us so at best we are getting 6 if it lands in the mailbox tomorrow. 

And yes you're right, if that was the case they absolutely should not have accepted it. It is not supposed to be "easy money" that is not OK.

Finally, I reiterate, if the statement of meeting is insufficient then why is it required at all, it is, by everyone's accounts so far, redundant. 

Edited by ALGS

event.png

RFE 22 August 2018

Distance is no demon,

I will be ready.

I love you, and you, me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, ALGS said:

Oh, I was under the impression there was an appeals process and we could reopen the current case. Especially if it is their mistake!? 

This is actual hell.

Yes, I agree, hell!  I don't have an answer, but a question, and this is posed to those here who have far greater knowledge than I do on this, but , since the K1 is "denied", what would be the chances of you getting married, "there or here", and file for a spousal CR1?  And I agree if you have to refile one way or the other, do it yourself without a lawyer and take your time, making sure every T is crossed and every i doted,  post your compiled list here and let those who have been there done that scrutinize and see if you left out anything. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ALGS said:

We have everything ready to go because we thought we would just need it at the consulate stage. We could overnight it and have it there tomorrow.... except USCIS "sent a letter" on the 7th July apparently and still no sign, just a "yea looks like they're going to deny it" over the phone today. So is the 30 days to respond to a NOID an opportunity for us to submit these items? and also are they going to say "you had 30 days from when we sent the letter" because if that is the case they said the letter could take 30 days to reach us so at best we are getting 6 if it lands in the mailbox tomorrow. 

If it was me, I would send my response asap. NOID letter or not. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Make sure you write down every single info/name/number etc related to your case and put it first in the package you send, so they can actually pair it with your file. Don't forget ANYTHING. You might be lucky.

I haven't been in your situation but I have sent a random letter to the service center that handled my AOS application and they managed to add that letter to my file and the issue I had was finally resolved. 

So yes, it's definitely worth a try. The only thing you have to lose at this point is the shipping cost of your response.

EDIT: also make sure to have an extra copy of whatever you send them, if the NOID actually shows up in your mailbox on Thursday you can send another response, that time including the NOID letter/sheet.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.