SusieQQQ

N400 backlog skyrockets under new administration

85 posts in this topic

The backlog of pending applications for immigrants legally in the country trying to become U.S. citizens has “skyrocketed” under President Donald Trump, according to a new report from an immigrant rights organization.

There were nearly 730,000 pending naturalization applications as of the end of last year, a more than 87 percent increase since 2015 under President Barack Obama, according to the report from the National Partnership for New Americans, an alliance of immigrants' rights groups.

“The Trump admin has built a second wall that prevents legal immigrants in the U.S. from becoming voting U.S. citizens,” Joshua Hoyt, executive director of the partnership, told NBC News.

He said the backlog at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services means processing rates have reached as high as 20 months, raising concerns in a critical mid-term election year that some people will be unable to vote. Last year, over 925,000 people applied for U.S. citizenship, according to the report.

More, including hot rebuttals by USCIS: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/citizenship-application-backlog-skyrocketed-under-trump-report-finds-n888146

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
11 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

The backlog of pending applications for immigrants legally in the country trying to become U.S. citizens has “skyrocketed” under President Donald Trump, according to a new report from an immigrant rights organization.

Yet the Obama administration was much faster at deportations. As a former journalist, I know how easy it is to push an agenda using piecemeal data. Here's something for you to read, you know, while your not asking questions or trying to help others.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-05-15/trump-is-deporting-fewer-immigrants-than-obama-did

9 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Very suspect and left wing article.The initial photo showing 'hundreds of thousands' of people protesting US Immigration law shows at best a few thousand. Then the whole tone and quotes of the article is 'cause and effect' or more important...conjecture on who they interview. (Left wing politicians)

Exactly! Well said, NYCruiser.

1 hour ago, WandY said:

. Here's something for you to read, you know, while your not asking questions or trying to help others.

Your sarcasm is not required. It’s not like this is the first post I’ve made on VJ and it’s not like I spend all my time on this forum ranting about immigration policies. I posted it because it’s an article that’s directly related to the topic of this particular forum.

It is also pretty important to me, because this backlog that has arisen is going to create quite a large headache for us in that it probably means my one child will turn 18, and probably even move away to college, before my application will be processed. These will happen, respectively, about 7 months and 12 months after I can file. So it’s more money, more hassle for both of us and more time for her because obviously she can’t pre-emptively apply and she needs to be resident in new her state 3 months before applying on her own.  So while that’s not quite a question, if there is anything you can suggest to navigate this situation I’d love to hear that too. Presuming you do actually answer questions on occasion here.

1 hour ago, WandY said:

Yet the Obama administration was much faster at deportations.

And yes I know this! I think I’ve even posted that same link before. So why was he accused by the right of being soft on immigration? 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
44 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I do? Really? Can you quote all these posts where i (personally) go “on and on” about “the right wing”? (Did you realize it was someone else that posted the link to the Bloomberg article, not me?)

I think we are all quite clear that you didn’t like the tone of the article and you don’t like (in your very own words)  “left wing rags”. Now, do you have anything of value to add to the topic at hand, which might I remind you us about delays in processing N400s, or are you just going to keep criticizing me for imagined posts and complaining about news stations you don’t like?

I was giving feedback. As I said..and will sat it again, yes left wing rag. All that article does is criticize the current president in my view. Yes they are delays. NYC is not up to 7 months (at least for ours on the DHS website). No it is not Trump's fault.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

I do? Really? Can you quote all these posts where i (personally) go “on and on” about “the right wing”? (Did you realize it was someone else that posted the link to the Bloomberg article, not me?)

I think we are all quite clear that you didn’t like the tone of the article and you don’t like (in your very own words)  “left wing rags”. Now, do you have anything of value to add to the topic at hand, which might I remind you us about delays in processing N400s, or are you just going to keep criticizing me for imagined posts and complaining about news stations you don’t like?

Here is another interesting article. (not sure which side of the coin they stand). Little more balanced, so maybe be right?(So take it with a healthy dose of scepticism.).

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-poll-numbers-approval-rating-up-2018-6?amp%3Butm_medium=referral&soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

"Quote: Over the same period, Trump's border practices drove at least one mainstream news anchor to tears and sparked round-the-clock coverage of family separations. Other than Trump's policy of separating migrant families at the border, which he reversed amid the scrutiny, analysts say his overall immigration policy looks a lot like Obama's." End Quote.

4 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

Here is another interesting article. (not sure which side of the coin they stand). Little more balanced, so maybe be right?(So take it with a healthy dose of scepticism.).

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-poll-numbers-approval-rating-up-2018-6?amp%3Butm_medium=referral&soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=fb

"Quote: Over the same period, Trump's border practices drove at least one mainstream news anchor to tears and sparked round-the-clock coverage of family separations. Other than Trump's policy of separating migrant families at the border, which he reversed amid the scrutiny, analysts say his overall immigration policy looks a lot like Obama's." End Quote.

Is there any reason you can’t keep to topic? Isn’t derailing threads contrary to TOS?

5 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

NYC is not up to 7 months (at least for ours on the DHS website). 

According to https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ N400 processing time is 10.5 to 17 months in NYC. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Shall I get us back on topic here? Might be an idea. 

I filed my application on April 14th, did my biometrics in May, my interview was two Fridays ago, and my naturalization oath is set for August 7th. I'm in Vermont so I'm guessing it's less busy than most though.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.