Redford

AOS. Debate on hiring a Lawyer

18 posts in this topic

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have readed all the instruction, answered all the form needed, followed the VisaJourney Immigratiom Guideline and collected all the documents and evidence (even the optional). Base on your experience did you hire a lawyer or did it your self. Would hiring a lawyer help in increasing the odds of getting approve. Share your experience and thoughts. 

Im kinda hesitant to spend $1,500 hiring a lawyer but still if they providw a big help why not spend:unsure:

Just now, Redford said:

I have readed all the instruction, answered all the form needed, followed the VisaJourney Immigratiom Guideline and collected all the documents and evidence (even the optional). Base on your experience did you hire a lawyer or did it your self. Would hiring a lawyer help in increasing the odds of getting approve. Share your experience and thoughts. 

Im kinda hesitant to spend $1,500 hiring a lawyer but still if they providw a big help why not spend:unsure:

If you have a fairly simple case then a lawyer will not help at all. I only did a lawyer for my wife's K1 was because I was in Afghanistan working at the time. But I did AOS and ROC all.by myself and VJ. 

Unless you have a complicated case, hiring a lawyer won't speed up or increase the chance for approval. The facts are the facts, and the long processing times are long processing times.

Whether or not you should get a lawyer, I'd highly suggest looking at the guides here, reading the instructions, then asking questions. If you still aren't getting it, then consider professional help. Even if you do get professional help, you still need to be on top of everything in the process...there is no set it and forget it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

How does this person determine whether they have a complicated case?  Please answer carefully.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hiring a lawyer will not increase your chances. 

I'd say 90% of forum users here did AOS on their own. 

Unless you have: a lot of red flags, criminal history (petitioner of beneficiary), little to no evidences of bona fide marriage - I wouldn't waste money on lawyers. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Roel said:

Hiring a lawyer will not increase your chances. 

I'd say 90% of forum users here did AOS on their own. 

Unless you have: a lot of red flags, criminal history (petitioner of beneficiary), little to no evidences of bona fide marriage - I wouldn't waste money on lawyers. 

And some of those who did it on their own had big problems.  Are you recommending somebody you don't know, BET on the "odds"?  Really?

The problem with "not knowing" is that a person never knows WHAT it is they don't know.  Do YOU even know how this person is USING the abbreviation AOS for sure?  I don't.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

39 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

And some of those who did it on their own had big problems.  Are you recommending somebody you don't know, BET on the "odds"?  Really?

The problem with "not knowing" is that a person never knows WHAT it is they don't know.  Do YOU even know how this person is USING the abbreviation AOS for sure?  I don't.

Damn, who stepped on your toes today? 

I'm just assuming OPs not an idiot  and he knows what he's filling. 

But sure. From now on we can all just tell people to use lawyers for everything. Just in case .;) 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Did you use an attorney for the K1? Were there any issues or problems (beyond a simple RFE?) in getting that approved? For most people, an attorney is not necessary, and hiring one will not increase your odds of approval. Only you know the specifics of your case, but in general, unless there are previous criminal issues or chances of it not looking like a bona fide marriage (little to no time spent together, no financial or other ties that are common in marriage, etc), it really is not necessary. If you can read and follow instructions and are detail oriented, filling out and organizing paperwork and documents just isn't that difficult.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Roel said:

Damn, who stepped on your toes today? 

I'm just assuming OPs not an idiot  and he knows what he's filling. 

But sure. From now on we can all just tell people to use lawyers for everything. Just in case .;) 

The place in between is to be prudent in your advice.  It's often the most intelligent people who rely on their common sense and logic instead of carefully studying and following instructions.  Dedication and study BEFORE action is the key here.  Why not advise careful and thorough study as part of making the decision to hire professional help?  That study would include how to effectively select a professional, if that's the way they go.  Easy platitudes often have terrible results.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

*~*~*moved to “general discussion” as question is not visa-specific and more a general question as to the pros and cons of hiring an immigration lawyer*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
14 hours ago, Redford said:

Honestly..I feel like the lawyer will only help you to do what you can do yourself by following point by point the USCIS instructions. I applied for AOS on August 2017 and they accepted, I did my biometrics on September 2017 and I am waiting now for my interview date to be set up. 
Like I said, it is not that hard if you follow every step of the instructions they provide in the website. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, Redford said:

Avoid lawyers at all costs unless your forced to hire one. The only thing they add is cooks to the kitchen to do things like inverse your street address numbers you took the time to fill correctly first. you have 1 case they have 80 and minimum wage paralegals in employ who actually do the work. Lawyers have absolutely no special channel into the immigration system. They can only do what you can do yourself, but with less self interest involved. I paid 3k and the only 1 good thing they did(as well as many many bad) was to create a cover exhibits page and then list each item by the exhibit letters, my 129-f had an exhibit A separator page for example. Add an introductory exhibits page yourself save the cash, also save the frustration ironically.

Edited by NateAndJessica

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, NateAndJessica said:

minimum wage paralegals in employ who actually do the work.

This is the key to everything. I am sure you can do what I did is find a paralegal ( Who make more than Minimum wage usually, mine did, but way less than the attorney) who works in a immigration attorneys office who has filled out hundreds, if not thousands of I129's and done hundreds and thousands of AOS applications, and kick them down some good old fashioned American dollars on the side to review your work. You have to round up most if not all the information yourself anyways, and they put it together nice and neat. Instead of making the payment on the attorneys Mercedes for the next few months, help out the struggling paralegal who is more than happy to help out on the side. I had everything pretty much put together, and a few Benjamins in the right hands and a few hours at a local Starbucks reviewing all your paperwork  was worth it's weight in gold. I had my package ready to go as I would send it, met with her for an hour to get some input, she made a few corrections, gave me some advice, I went back to the drawing board and revamped the I129 ( I probably scrapped 3-4 copies before I had a good usable one) met up again one last time for the final review and everything looked good. Literally sealed the whole package up at the table, and stopped at the local post office to mail it out. Now, while everything looked good to her and me, I am still waiting on my NOA2, and if everything goes well with this, she said she would be more than happy to help me with AOS, ROC, N400, anything I needed down the line. Saved myself a huge stack of cash so far, and if it was worth it is yet to be seen, but I have confidence that things will go good. Plus I get the satisfaction of mostly doing it myself, but I had someone that does it for a living at least review and point out a few good things. But I agree with the other posters that an attorney is not going to increase your chances, but it is also your call, and like they suggested find one that knows immigration.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

We did it by our own, we file our application on May 16 and received SMS / Email notification on Jun 4, and Jun 9 got the actual receipt & Biometric appointment letter by mail. (Biometric appointment will be on Jun 18)

• Feb 17 2018 - Arrived USA with B2-Tourist Visa
  • Apr 01 2018 - US Citizen Boyfriend proposed
  • Apr 18 2018 - Got Married in Montana, USA
  • May 15 2018 - Mailed out USCIS applications (I-130, I-130A, I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) to Chicago Lockbox
  • (Day 1) May 16 2018 - Mail arrived Chicago Lockbox (confirmed by USPS) 
  • (Day 19) Jun 04 2018 - Received email & SMS notification - case received (All money orders being cashed on this day)
  • (Day 24) Jun 09 2018 - Received all receipts (NOA) from USCIS, also the Biometrics Appointment letter (Appointment date: Jun 18) 
  • (Day 33) Jun 18 2018 - Arrived Helena ASC at 9.15am (Appointment at 10am), finished at 9.35am (Yea it was super quick!)
  • (Day 35) Jun 20 2018 - Received SMS & Email notification request for evidence for my I-485
  • (Day 40) Jun 25 2018 - Courtesy letter for I-693 (Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record) received
  • (Day 61) Jul 16 2018 - Case status of I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
  • (Day 64) Jul 19 2018 -  Case status of I-485 changed to "Interview Was Scheduled"
  • (Day 71) Jul 26 2018 - Interview notice received (Interview scheduled on Aug 23 - 9.50AM)
  • (Day 99) Aug 23 2018 - Interview approved on the spot! Yay! 🎉  I-485 status changed to “New Card Is Being Produced”,
  • (Day 100) Aug 24 2018 - I-131 & I-765 status changed to “Case Closed Benefit Received By Other Means”
  • (Day 107) Aug 31 2018 - I-485 status changed to “Card Was Mailed To Me”
  • (Day 111) Sep 04 2018 - I-485 status changed "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service"
  • (Day 113) Sep 06 2018 - Conditional Green Card Received!
  • May 23 2020 - Mailed out I-751
  • May 29 2020 - Received email & SMS notification - case received
  • June 1 2020 - Money order being cashed
  • July 15 2020 - status changed to “Case Was Updated To Show Fingerprints Were Taken” 
  • Feb 16 2021 - Status changed to “New Card is being Produce”
  • Feb 19 2021 - Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • Feb 24 2021 - New card received in the mail!
  • Feb 24 2023 - Filed N-400 online
  • Mar 11 2023 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter in mail (Appointment date: Mar 20)
  • Mar 20 2023 - Case status changed to "Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS"
  • Apr 04 2023 - Received online update "Interview Was Scheduled" (May 23)
  • May 23 2023 - Interview Passed on the spot
  • Oct 26 2023 - Status changed to "Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed" (on Nov 9th)

http://pa1.narvii.com/5800/c9829514dbe031b3b25782c40cae78c189bfc3ab_00.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.