JayceC

K1 Visa Wondering where to start

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello everyone! 

First off I'd like to apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong place, I've just signed up and haven't explored the site yet. 

I recently got engaged! My fiancee is from Indonesia, and the plan now is to get her here to the U S of A with a K1 fiancee visa. Ive done some reading on this but I know I'll need help. I have a friend of a friend who is a immigration lawyer that lives in my city. I haven't spoken to him yet but that's what I plan on doing. Im assuming this is super expensive, so is it the best option? Would it be better if I use one of those online visa systems? 

Just need some help getting started :) thanks!

Read the guides. Find the guide tab. Find k1.  Then ask specific questions about the process. We all learn the basics by reading guides. Can't get easier than that. You don't need a lawyer for this process. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
6 minutes ago, JayceC said:

Hello everyone! 

First off I'd like to apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong place, I've just signed up and haven't explored the site yet. 

I recently got engaged! My fiancee is from Indonesia, and the plan now is to get her here to the U S of A with a K1 fiancee visa. Ive done some reading on this but I know I'll need help. I have a friend of a friend who is a immigration lawyer that lives in my city. I haven't spoken to him yet but that's what I plan on doing. Im assuming this is super expensive, so is it the best option? Would it be better if I use one of those online visa systems? 

Hi, congrats on your engagement!

The K1 visa process is honestly not complicated at all, you just need to read everything before you start, make sure you have all the documents and PROOF-READ! The forum has a search feature which you can use if you get stuck at any point and you can ask in a new thread if you still can't figure it out. You don't really need a lawyer or filing through an agency - if anything they just complicate things and there's a higher chance of errors. If your case is simple (no criminal records, kids involved etc) you should be able to do it on your own.

I would start here:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Do make sure you take all of the forms directly from the USCIS website. if they're older, you're gonna have to refile.

Before you start anything, make sure you meet the requirements of K1 visa: both of you are unmarried and you met in person at least once in the past 2 years.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
15 minutes ago, JayceC said:

Hello everyone! 

Hey there. Welcome to visajourney.

personally, I don’t think you’ll need a lawyer unless you have a complicated case like arrests, felony, etc etc. I never knew anything about this process either but I followed all the guides on here and followed people’s tips and now my fiancé (husband now) is here. No lawyer, no Rapid Visa, etc.  There are tons of guides on how to send in the I-129F petition here. Just follow those guides and you should be good! 

The K1 visa is taking longer than before. Expect it to be a 9-12 month process. It’s more expensive too. Your fiancé won’t be able to work immediately and then you have to apply for adjustment of status, it can be a 5 months to a year long process after the K1.

you can do CR1 and it’d be cheaper! Currently taking 13-14 month’s but your fiancé can get the green card right away and work immediately! 

Edited by britishandusa

I also believe you don't need a lawyer unless you have a legal barrier that prevents immigration or makes it harder. Just read everything well, three times if necessary, read through topics here. Download all the needed forms from the USCIS website always.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

The process is pretty straight forward and relatively easy.  You just need to be able to fill out forms and follow directions.  I did the process myself without any serious problems or delays.  Make sure you have access to a reliable printer as you will be filling out lots of forms and printing them out.  You can always refer to a professional if you have any problems, save yourself some money.  The fees and expenses are already enough to pay.

Use this site, it's a good well of information and the timelines will give you a good reference point for how far along you are in the process.  Then,  get to know the U.S.C.I.S. web site.  

Good luck!  

D

Timeline

just have some questions... I know I'll have a lot.

Do I need to fill out anything for 1 and 2? I don't believe we have an alien registration number or USCIS account number.

Also, 

Do I leave 5 blank because it's a K1 and not a K3? or do I select no?

Thanks!

I-129f.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, JayceC said:

just have some questions... I know I'll have a lot.

Do I need to fill out anything for 1 and 2? I don't believe we have an alien registration number or USCIS account number.

Also, 

Do I leave 5 blank because it's a K1 and not a K3? or do I select no?

Thanks!

I-129f.PNG

Since you are a citizen, you are correct: leave 1 & 2 blank, and yes, you also leave 5 blank.

Edited to add: you should edit your screen shot so it doesn't show your SSN (assuming that is yours). 

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Research is your best friend. Research everything about the entire K1 process, from start to finish, so you both become familiar with what's to come. There are pinned threads in the respectable forums about the different forms you will be filling out, including the initial I-129 application. Those will answer most of your general questions when filling things out. As for the application itself - it's not full of trick questions. Just take the time to read each question carefully. No, you will not necessarily fill in every single box/question, as they may not all apply to you. If something says "optional" or "if any" next to it, and it doesn't apply to you - leave it blank.

I also suggest searching/looking up some folks who are a little further along than you in the process so you can possibly follow them and know what's to come. Also finding folks who have the same country of origin is helpful too, as sometimes that creates differences from other applicants from other countries.

Most importantly - become friends with your well of patience. It will be needed. This isn't a quick process and can be very frustrating along the way. Remember what the end result is and what you are both doing this for. Maintain positive communication with one another during the process and always remain on the same page.

Good luck to you, and congratulations!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Timeline

OK! got some more questions about the I-129f form.

1. What's the difference between my postal code and my zip code?

2. What do I put at my province?  I live in Tennessee, so I just leave it blank?

3.  I don't know if anyone here would know the answer to this, but from 2015-2017 I was in Indonesia serving as a missionary. We moved around every few months. We DID have a "mission home" in Jakarta, it was like a center place where all our mail was sent and where we technically lived for those 2 years. So would I just need to put this mission home address as a place I have lived in the past 5 years? Or do I need the the addresses of all the places I stayed at?

4. Confused about question 47, What action did USCIS take of Form i-129F (for example approved, denied, revoked)? I leave this blank right? because I haven't submitted it before?

I'll have more later~ 

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

1. None. 

2. Yes, assuming there is somewhere else where you can put your state. 

3. I would just use your Jakarta address to keep it simple. 

4. Yes, leave it blank.

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
On 4/6/2018 at 11:54 PM, JayceC said:

OK! got some more questions about the I-129f form.

1. What's the difference between my postal code and my zip code?

2. What do I put at my province?  I live in Tennessee, so I just leave it blank?

3.  I don't know if anyone here would know the answer to this, but from 2015-2017 I was in Indonesia serving as a missionary. We moved around every few months. We DID have a "mission home" in Jakarta, it was like a center place where all our mail was sent and where we technically lived for those 2 years. So would I just need to put this mission home address as a place I have lived in the past 5 years? Or do I need the the addresses of all the places I stayed at?

4. Confused about question 47, What action did USCIS take of Form i-129F (for example approved, denied, revoked)? I leave this blank right? because I haven't submitted it before?

I'll have more later~ 

thanks

Hey, go to this site 

https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f

And download instructions for forms l-129f 

They tell you everything clearly :)

Screenshot_2018-06-06-02-19-00-38.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/3/2018 at 1:14 PM, JayceC said:

Hello everyone! 

you should also go to youtube as there are a lot of instructional videos on how to complete the application.Has help me a lot and saved me lots of headaches. Just search for K1 Application or K1 process and you will get a lot of hits.

August 1, 2017 - mailed K1 Application 

August 4 - Receievd TSC - NOA1

August 8 - Transfered to CSC

February 10 - NOA 2

March 1st - MCN# In Transit

March 2nd - AT NVC CEAC

March 12 - Completed D160

March 22 - Ready CEAC

March 27 - SLEC - Medical

March 28 received medical results 

April 2 - CFO Completed 

April 5 - Embassy Interview (Results 221G 😭)

April 20 - Submitted RFE requirements (221G)

April 23 - Docs Recieved at NVC Via 2go

April 24 - email received from Embassy to complete Oath 

April 25 - Oath and Fingerprints - No appointment needed

April 25 CEAC Status update AP

May 3rd - CEAC Status Update Still AP

May 8 - CEAC Staus  Changed to Non Immigrant Status

May 9 - CEAC Status - ISSUED! ❤️👏😂😅

May 12 - VOH - Blessed be to God in the Highest!! 🙏😭

May 30 - POE ✈️

May 31st - Confirmed I94 and applied for SSN

June 4 - Married 🎉🙏🎂💑🍾👰🏻🤵🏻

June 5 - Received SSN! - Took only three business days 👏

July 12 - AOS EAD AP

Juy 21 - NOA1 

Aug 7 - Biometrics 

Aug 14 - Case Ready To Be Scheduled For Interview 

Sept 4 - Interview Was Scheduled 

Timeline

Quick question,

When I am filling out the indonesian addresses, should I put the addresses in english or indonesian? Indonesian uses roman alfabet, but im wondering if I should put "road" instead of "jalan" or "south" instead of "selatan"

example:

enlgish: Jalan senopati no 115, Jakarta Selatan

or

indo: Senopati Road number 115, South Jakarta

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.