carla s

The USA should be the land of freedom but...

41 posts in this topic

Hi, I am Carla and I am Italian. My american fiance and I are doing our paper work for the K1 Visa. We are in love form almost 3 years and we thought that we just needed to get married. Everybody in the world know USA as the land of freedom but I realized that there is nothing free in the USA. Is it right that we have to prove everything, that we have to show them our private life, our private messagges, chats, email, photos... I feel sad and I really don't know if I will feel american one day in the future. I am sure that I will miss the italian food, the italian colture, the italian weather (He lives in Oregon = it rains 350 days a year). I truly love him just I don't like the american way for to get married! Can somebody tell me where is the freedom in USA?

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

It does sound like you might be much happier staying in Italy, have you discussed this with your Fiance?

This, there is nothing to say the non us fiancée should be the one to move. In some cases it is in fact the wisest for the foreign partner not to be the one to move. 

Do discuss this with your fiancé, explain your fears to him and make a frank assessment of the pros and cons of both countries.

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

It does sound like you might be much happier staying in Italy, have you discussed this with your Fiance?

Yes, but he doesn't speak italian and he doesn't want that I support him. He loves Italy but he wants to be closer to his parents too because they are getting old. They live in Arkansas so I told him that I will stay in Oregon no more than 1 year and after that we will move to an USA state where the weather is more worm, like Florida or Texas so we can be closer to his parents and I can see the sun. I am leaving my county, my roots, my past life for to stay with him and trust me, it is not simple. I have a son in Italy (he is 20 years old), I have my parents, my friends, my dogs, my houses. I know that I am happy only with him and I will do my best for to adapt in the USA but it will not be simple

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He is 2,000 miles away from his Parents.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, Illiria said:

This, there is nothing to say the non us fiancée should be the one to move. In some cases it is in fact the wisest for the foreign partner not to be the one to move. 

Do discuss this with your fiancé, explain your fears to him and make a frank assessment of the pros and cons of both countries.

He can't move to Italy because he doesn't speak italian and he doesn't want that I support him. Don't ask me why, but he doesn't feel a man in case that he doesn't work and I support him...

He is 2,000 miles away from his Parents.

yes, now he lives in Oregon and he wants to move more closer to his parents that live in Hot Springs Arkansas. I don't like Arkansas, I love the sea and the ocean so Florida and Texas are good for me and he can be to his parent's home in some hours with a car

4 minutes ago, carla s said:

He can't move to Italy because he doesn't speak italian and he doesn't want that I support him. Don't ask me why, but he doesn't feel a man in case that he doesn't work and I support him...

Has he tried to learn? Could he get work teaching English? He could save up so that he could cover his expenses until he could get a job. 

Is it his intention that after the move you can look after his parents?

Edited by Illiria

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

1 minute ago, Illiria said:

Has he tried to learn? Could he get work teaching English? He could save up so that he could cover his expenses until he could get a job. 

He works 70 hours a week, he doesn't have time for to learn italian and in Italy you have to have a degree in languages for to teach... and for him everything in Italy is very little, the streets, the houses, the cars, he is not use to drive in the mad insane traffic in Italy. He will be retire in 10 years so our idea is to live in USA for 10 years and after that move to Europe 

7 hours ago, carla s said:

Hi, I am Carla and I am Italian. My american fiance and I are doing our paper work for the K1 Visa. We are in love form almost 3 years and we thought that we just needed to get married. Everybody in the world know USA as the land of freedom but I realized that there is nothing free in the USA. Is it right that we have to prove everything, that we have to show them our private life, our private messagges, chats, email, photos... I feel sad and I really don't know if I will feel american one day in the future. I am sure that I will miss the italian food, the italian colture, the italian weather (He lives in Oregon = it rains 350 days a year). I truly love him just I don't like the american way for to get married! Can somebody tell me where is the freedom in USA?

Take a trip down memory lane to World War 2 and that time period.  You will find your answer 

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

7 hours ago, carla s said:

Sorry this is not a Disney movie and love doesn't conquer it all. :P Law is law and love has nothing to do with the immigration rules. If not for those rules, you'll have scam marriages happening all the time. 

Also no one stops you from getting married in the US. You have all the freedom! You can go to Vegas and be married in 5 minutes. Most of the countries doesn't allow you to do that this fast. 

Plus no one forces you to move to the US. In the end it's your own choice and sooner you accept how things in US  works the better for you. 

Ps. Don't worry. Italian restaurants can be found on every corner. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
27 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

You need to think long and hard about whether or not this is a good idea for EITHER of you.

Youre already complaining and you're not even HERE.

Very true. Attitude makes or breaks this process. If someone is already determined that America is a miserable place to be (as the OPs tone suggests to me), there is only pain in the future.

I’m temporarily living in a country that I particularly don’t like. But guess what? I do it because I’m committed to being with my wife. I’ve decided that I’m going to make it work for as long as I must before we can return to the states. OP, make that decision now, or have a serious talk with your fiancé about what you’re not willing to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.