Penguin_ie

Trump's future immigration policies- speculation MEGATHREAD

1,208 posts in this topic

IF the bill goes through, it will only affect relatives like parents, brothers and sisters. And there will be a new skilled worker system. Nothing mentioned about spouses or children, or fiancees.

There is a megathread you can post in;

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

19 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

Been seeing scary topics about trumps immigration proposals. Will any of this effect immigrants in the middle of removal of conditions, AOS, or pending citizenship? My husband is in the middle of ROC and I'm terrified of trumps new policies potentially jeopardizing our future together.

I honestly think that the only thing the proposal will do is limit chain migration and that is it. Fiance, spouse, and child visas will not be touched at all. 

The bill will unlikely pass in its current form, it'll get heavily toned down before it'll be even considered. Nothing will change to immigrants here. It'll only change future petitions

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day! I just want to know your reactions and opinions regarding President Trump' support regarding immigration point system policy cutting visa issuance to family-based visa category ( primarily affected are sponsoring parents and siblings). Will this take into effect considering this will have a great impact for naturalized American citizens and LPRs?

Edited by john1989

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There's a huge thread about this in the "Off Topic" forum, you may want to take a look at that.

It's extremely doubtful the bill will pass as it is written...not to mention it needs the votes of Democrats as well, which is unlikely, since most are in support of immigration.  A few Republican senators have also expressed their disapproval of it as it stands right now.

I think Trump forgot that the main people who are petitioners of potential immigrant family members are US citizens (translation:  voters)....I can't see too many senators/congress people approving this for risk of losing their own constituency support. 

IF it does pass, it probably will be a very watered-down version of what Trump is proposing now.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
1 hour ago, john1989 said:

Good day! I just want to know your reactions and opinions regarding President Trump' support regarding immigration point system policy cutting visa issuance to family-based visa category ( primarily affected are sponsoring parents and siblings). Will this take into effect considering this will have a great impact for naturalized American citizens and LPRs?

I applaud the proposed immigration policy. However, it won't pass.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, mcdull said:

I applaud the proposed immigration policy. However, it won't pass.

I think it is in the right direction. Will it pass, there will need to be some compromises made because no one seems to able to agree on anything.

The US has been exceedingly generous over the years with immigration, but a country can only support so many.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Considering how friendly US immigration policy is, with one person moving over and then being able to petition an entire family including brother-in-law and nieces and nephews, it's about time the policy is updated. 

Take the unfair requirements for the cr/ir-1 visa for example, where someone with barely any bona fida evidence in say Denmark can sail through while someone with much more evidence in Ghana will be denied. There needs to be more tangible requirements for the cr/or-1, which should be the same regardless of Embassy. Not to mention the lax requirement for the k-1 with the only real requirement is having met once in a two year period. A lot of people use the k-1 for the right reasons but there are also a lot of people who use it as a gateway to the US. We see it every day on VJ.

But sadly, I doubt the government will have the guts to really look into it and make some real changes. The government will put time and a chunk of tax payer's money on it and then come away with pretty much nothing. 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
47 minutes ago, Going through said:

I think Trump forgot that the main people who are petitioners of potential immigrant family members are US citizens (translation:  voters)....

Many USC petitioners and immigrants support immigration reform. Just because a USC petitioned their spouse, it doesn't mean they think that the rest of the 30+ family household should be allowed to follow too.

I'm an immigrant and I think the US immigration policy is ridiculously lenient. When I moved to the US, it was my choice to do so because I happened to fall in love with a man from another country. Why would that give me the right to then move my entire family over, including siblings with their spouses and kids??? 

And don't get me started on the law that says anyone born in America is a USC. That stems from some 250 years ago, when America was founded and to ensure that the British couldn't come back and force people from their land. It's completely outdated and America, along with I think Nigeria, are the only two countries with that law. For every other country on the planet, you need to have a tie to the country to become a citizen, i.e a mum or dad who is a citizen of the country. But I doubt they'll ever change that.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

Considering how friendly US immigration policy is, with one person moving over and then being able to petition an entire family including brother-in-law and nieces and nephews, it's about time the policy is updated. 

Take the unfair requirements for the cr/ir-1 visa for example, where someone with barely any bona fida evidence in say Denmark can sail through while someone with much more evidence in Ghana will be denied. There needs to be more tangible requirements for the cr/or-1, which should be the same regardless of Embassy. Not to mention the lax requirement for the k-1 with the only real requirement is having met once in a two year period. A lot of people use the k-1 for the right reasons but there are also a lot of people who use it as a gateway to the US. We see it every day on VJ.

But sadly, I doubt the government will have the guts to really look into it and make some real changes. The government will put time and a chunk of tax payer's money on it and then come away with pretty much nothing. 

We also need to re-examine merit based immigration system.  For example, many Filipinos with college degrees come to Hong Kong to work as domestic helpers.

Given many developing countries spend a tremendous amount of money and effort developing their most intelligent, it is unfair when they graduate, they sail for America and left their compatriots behind. Globalisation doesn't mean free movement of labour, a flatter, and an equal world cannot be achieved if developed countries keep sucking developing countries' intelligence dry.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

Many USC petitioners and immigrants support immigration reform. Just because a USC petitioned their spouse, it doesn't mean they think that the rest of the 30+ family household should be allowed to follow too.

I'm an immigrant and I think the US immigration policy is ridiculously lenient. When I moved to the US, it was my choice to do so because I happened to fall in love with a man from another country. Why would that give me the right to then move my entire family over, including siblings with their spouses and kids??? 

And don't get me started on the law that says anyone born in America is a USC. That stems from some 250 years ago, when America was founded and to ensure that the British couldn't come back and force people from their land. It's completely outdated and America, along with I think Nigeria, are the only two countries with that law. For every other country on the planet, you need to have a tie to the country to become a citizen, i.e a mum or dad who is a citizen of the country. But I doubt they'll ever change that.

Birth citizenship reminded me of that Taiwan woman on China Airlines refuse to give birth until the plane entered US airspace so her third anchor baby could be a US citizen.  (wondering how do you hold your urge to give birth?)

As a matter of fact, the majority of the new world has birth citizenship. it is ridiculous someone has absolutely no connection whatsoever became a citizen solely because she/he was born here

Then illegal immigrants could make a NYT headline claiming that "Parents of US citizens deported" 

1) It won't affect USC who wants to petition their spouses or children under 18
2) It won't affect those who are already being petitioned (sister, brother, parent category)
3) IF it goes through, it will take several years to establish
4) I reported this thread to be merged into the Trump immigration policies megathread

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

Many USC petitioners and immigrants support immigration reform.

I support immigration reform as well, don't get me wrong.  I just think that if Trump is going to introduce a merit-based system for employment visas (like Canada and Australia already uses) then it should at least be a realistic system--right now the way it stands, it would be near impossible for most potential workers offered US-based positions to achieve enough points.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

1 hour ago, Coco8 said:

Trump has passed 0 legislation so far. That is not going to change. Public opinion is supporting him less and less and mid-term elections are getting closer.

Not that he hasn't tried.  But when all of Congress is against you, it's kind of hard to do anything.  He could propose all the changes that @mallafri76 just mentioned.  And they would somehow get shot down.  He's not in the club, so they can't stand him.  He is trying to upset the status quo, and that won't be allowed to happen.  Both sides are happy with the way things are, they are doing well $.  They couldn't care any less about the constituents they are supposed to represent.  Our political system is a failure.  No one person is allowed to make major changes that would actually make the country better because the opposition always has enough politicians in their pockets to block.  An overhaul is needed and coming (probably not in our lifetimes, but at some point people will not accept this nonsense anymore) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.