A new guy

My Girlfriend married another man to apply for green card

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I met my GF just over a year ago. Things were great except I was not in a hurry to get married, wanted to wait (for no real reason other than I did not think it was important to get married) and didn't see how important her status was to her. She is here on a work visa and wants to get her green card.

The problem is we started having tough times after I said I would not marry her yet and she got married to a friend of a friend. That marriage happened 2 months ago and now she regrets getting married to him. Now, I understand how important this is to her and I'm willing to marry her. She has not started any of the paperwork for the green card yet. If she divorces him and marries me, will that raise red flags and cause problems for her green card application?

I don't believe she is using me to get her green card. I truly love her and I believe the love is mutual.

Thank you for the advice.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So dude was this a consumated marriage ? How could she just up and marry if U both in love?

unless it was business (which is illegal& a fraud) how U know she's not wanting this GC by any means

necessary, no doubt you love her but please read some of the horror stories here, go slowly, of course

even though she did not file paper-work she still have to send in divorce papers and she will be asked

about it, good luck on this journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Right from the mouth of a 30 year immigration agent..."Never marry an alien"

I made the huge mistake and so have many others. Love is great, but don't get married.

Like others have said, just read the horror stories on here. Or go read my thread

"fiance' cheating while pregnant" for some real entertainment.

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Filed: Timeline

In my best attempt at being unbiased, I don't 'know' for sure she doesn't want to marry me for her green card and I was a little cautious about her motives when we started dating but there are a few things that removed my concern.

1) about a month after we started dating, she told me she had a marriage set up to help her get her green card but she cancelled it because of our relationship. It seemed like she was telling me with the best intent of not hiding things and trying to be honest. We talked about it and she was able to give me some pretty convincing details that led me to believe she was telling the truth.

2) the first time she brought up marriage with me, I said I was not in a hurry to get married (because my parents are divorced) and didn't see what would change because she was practically living with me 5-6 days a week. She mentioned that it would help her get her green card and that would relieve some pressure/worries she has about keeping her work visa. I asked her if she was only interested in getting her green card and offered to get married to her if that's what she was interested in me for but otherwise I thought we should wait longer. She agreed it would be better if we waited to get married.

3) Once she got married to this guy, she would have no incentive to stay with me but our relationship has improved dramatically.

We had started having problems when she brought up her desire to get married and I expressed my desire to wait. She felt I was just dragging her along and I thought she was pushing to hard. We started seeing each other less and less for about 2 months because I was trying to teach her the lesson that she can't always get her way. Then one day she broke down and told me she had gotten married. It wasn't until then that we really had a talk about what this meant for her and why it was important to her. She thought I had no intention of staying with her and thought I was wasting her time.

Do I want to 'rescue' her from this situation, YES. I know it's an ugly situation for a relationship that has numerous red flags screaming GET OUT NOW and reading the other stories on here contribute more red flags.

From the aspect of getting her green card, how much trouble would a divorce and remarry cause if it went like this:

-dated me for just over a year

-she married a couple months ago

-has not filed any paperwork other than getting married

-got a divorce (lets say 3 months into the marriage)

-remarried me (at whatever timeframe would be reasonable/best)

Even if I was getting duped and didn't know it, the background on us is legitimate. Would that legitimacy mean anything to the investigators, knowing she married/divorced so quickly?

Thank you for time and if you think the best thing for me is to GET OUT NOW, I appreciate your imput and sometimes the truth hurts. There are many sad stories on here and I'm sure most of them started with someone who thought it wouldn't happen to them.

Wow! What a mess indeed!

If she truly loves you (not just for green card purposes), let her clear out her own mess first.

Then wait and let the relationship develop, take the "getting her a green card to stay" out of the equation, even if it means that she has to return home after her work visa expires.

You could always petition for her to come back to US as fiancee / spouse later on.

I hope you don't get manipulated into doing something you might regret later in your life. If in doubts, don't do it.

This, this.. absolutely this.

Please don't let her rush you into anything you might regret later!

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

In my best attempt at being unbiased, I don't 'know' for sure she doesn't want to marry me for her green card and I was a little cautious about her motives when we started dating but there are a few things that removed my concern.

1) about a month after we started dating, she told me she had a marriage set up to help her get her green card but she cancelled it because of our relationship. It seemed like she was telling me with the best intent of not hiding things and trying to be honest. We talked about it and she was able to give me some pretty convincing details that led me to believe she was telling the truth.

2) the first time she brought up marriage with me, I said I was not in a hurry to get married (because my parents are divorced) and didn't see what would change because she was practically living with me 5-6 days a week. She mentioned that it would help her get her green card and that would relieve some pressure/worries she has about keeping her work visa. I asked her if she was only interested in getting her green card and offered to get married to her if that's what she was interested in me for but otherwise I thought we should wait longer. She agreed it would be better if we waited to get married.

3) Once she got married to this guy, she would have no incentive to stay with me but our relationship has improved dramatically.

We had started having problems when she brought up her desire to get married and I expressed my desire to wait. She felt I was just dragging her along and I thought she was pushing to hard. We started seeing each other less and less for about 2 months because I was trying to teach her the lesson that she can't always get her way. Then one day she broke down and told me she had gotten married. It wasn't until then that we really had a talk about what this meant for her and why it was important to her. She thought I had no intention of staying with her and thought I was wasting her time.

Do I want to 'rescue' her from this situation, YES. I know it's an ugly situation for a relationship that has numerous red flags screaming GET OUT NOW and reading the other stories on here contribute more red flags.

From the aspect of getting her green card, how much trouble would a divorce and remarry cause if it went like this:

-dated me for just over a year

-she married a couple months ago

-has not filed any paperwork other than getting married

-got a divorce (lets say 3 months into the marriage)

-remarried me (at whatever timeframe would be reasonable/best)

Even if I was getting duped and didn't know it, the background on us is legitimate. Would that legitimacy mean anything to the investigators, knowing she married/divorced so quickly?

Thank you for time and if you think the best thing for me is to GET OUT NOW, I appreciate your imput and sometimes the truth hurts. There are many sad stories on here and I'm sure most of them started with someone who thought it wouldn't happen to them.

Sounds like you already know what this is. The relationship you are in looks like a game of Stratego, with no blue flags on the board, all red. What's crazy is YOU KNOW THIS and you are still trying to convince yourself to ride this train wreck without getting hit. I'll keep it simple, break up with her and move on.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

My own view is, to her getting a green card was more important than her relationship with you. Now she's made a mess of things, and isn't happy with her choice to marry for a green card. Lord knows what her husband is thinking about this relationship. Did he marry her just so she could stay, or is he wondering what the hell is wrong with his wife and where is she going to? This is a relationship ready for a day time talk show! Do you really want to be living your life with the type of drama she's creating? What if her husband does want her and finds her hanging with you? Who the heck knows what drama that will create, but there's some crazy people out there that you don't want to deal with. My own advise would be to back off, and let her figure out her own life and what she wants out of it. If someday you come back together when her life is no longer a mess, then so be it. But I wouldn't want to touch the current mess with a 10 foot pole.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

You could not convince one single person here that she is not trying by all means to get a green card, man how do you suppose to convince immigration ?No way...no how...You will get in trouble with her in the immigration aspects and in your private life as well. She is a fraudster and she is a liar as well,she got married with someone and just told you after the marriage? Do you really think she has values to be a great wife and i good mother? I don't think so, when you are not a good citizen,when you break law/rules you are a not good person in general.Actions speak louder than words.She said she loves you,but her actions showed someone without values. There is no way immigration will believe in your marriage , they will think she got married and divorced and she was so desperated to get a Green card that she got married with you in a matter of days/weeks...really?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
You could always petition for her to come back to US as fiancee / spouse later on.

I was on a work visa too when I met my BF (now husband).

I never thought of pressuring him to get married asap because "hey honey, my work visa is expiring soon!!!".

Instead I went home, and developed the relationship over long distance and different zone.

Exactly. NORMAL people who aren't in it for the GC would do this. Unfortunately the girl the OP is seeing doesn't want to go home. She WANTS the GC and she'll do whatever she has to to get it (as her behaviour has shown).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.