VanessaTony

N-400 April 2013 Filers

1,340 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes yes I know it's early but in around 2 months my window to file will officially open. I'm not sure yet whether i'll be able to afford to file at that time, or if we'll want to file at that time, but I want to at least get a head start on what I need to do/gather and it helps to see what everyone else is doing as well!

Thankfully the processes have gotten easier (well the forms at least) as we did each new step. N-400 is easier than I-751 in terms of what documents they require to be sent with the form and only slightly more expensive.

This is what my Cover Letter looks like right now (cover letters are not a requirement but I use them as checklists so they help me stay organised):

- Payment in the amount of $680.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security;

- N-400 – Application for Naturalization, signed & dated #####

- Copy of Permanent Resident Card; front and back (1 page);

- 2 passport photos (Alien number on back)

- Copy of Birth Certificate of Tony(1 page)

- Copy of Marriage certificate, dated 7 November 2009 (1 page)

- Copies of IRS Tax Return Transcripts from 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (# pages);

The above is based on M-477 which is the document list for N-400. Page 1 under topic "Evidence if filing based on marriage to USC..." (or words to that effect) #4 states an A or B or C situation. I'm personally going with option C.

The form is pretty easy to complete but it was only because I looked at the form ages that I knew I needed to keep track of dates outside of the US. I went back to Aus last year but also in 2010 and it's hard to remember those dates specifically if I didn't write it down or keep the itinerary.

You are being interviewed no matter what you send so there's really no need to front load but of course you can.

This is my list of things I'm planning on taking to interview (so far):

- My immigration folder which contains every form I've ever submitted and every piece of evidence I've ever sent (I'm very organised about this folder and will be updating it with numbered plastic sleeves and a numbered contents list)

- Updated information since i-751, so copies of:

-- Electricity bills

-- Bank statements

-- Car insurance cards

-- Health insurance cards

-- Dental/Medical bills

Also, my father passed in September so I have condolences cards from then addressed to both of us, as well as a thank you/birthday card mum wrote to Tony when she stayed here for 3 weeks.

In terms of the civics test, i have an Android phone and downloaded this app a while ago: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gordons.uscitizenship2011Edition and I practiced learning with it and found it really really helpful so I suggest something like that for people :) I'm always on my phone anyway and 5 mins of testing practice here and there really paid off :)

ALSO -- In case you didn't know, you do NOT get a passport included in the processing fee, so make sure you have the money for that set aside when the time comes. Some offices offer same-day processing (for an additional fee), some offer expedited (for an additional fee) but most are file and wait. You CANNOT leave the US without your US passport once you're a citizen (which is only after you've taken the Oath, not after you passed the test) so if you have plans for travel you might want to make sure you wait to take the Oath until after you're back (which is allowed) or at least find out if an office near you offers expedite or same-day processing for passports.

Good luck to us all!

Timeline

=================================

-- N-400: APRIL 2013 APPLICATIONS --

USCIS Dallas/Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

UserName............|Sent.....|ChkCashd.|NOA......|Bio......|Int Ltr..|Intview..|Oath.....|FieldOffice

EXAMPLE.............|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|City, ST

===========================

USCIS Phoenix, Arizona Lockbox

===========================

UserName............|Sent.....|ChkCashd.|NOA......|Bio......|Int Ltr..|Intview..|Oath.....|FieldOffice

EXAMPLE.............|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|--/--/--.|City, ST

================================================================

USCIS Lincoln, Nebraska Lockbox (Filing Under 319b, 328, or 329 of the INA)

================================================================

IMPORTANT!

* Make sure that your VJ Text Editor setting is set to Rich Text Editor.

* Go to the MOST RECENTLY POSTED VERSION of this list (go to the last post and scroll UP) and "Reply" to it, deleting the "quote" tags in your reply.

* Please DO NOT change the font, font size, add colors, stuff like that (except when posting "I'm a US Citizen" which you should change to RED)

* Please add yourself to the list in "Sent" order, under the office at which you filed

* Please PREVIEW before posting to make sure it is properly formatted.

* Please check that you have not deleted anyones NAME & DATA.

* Please Capitalize your VJ Name when adding it to the list and ensure the "..." line up

* When you're on this list, please come back to update your information accordingly (helps the rest of us)

* If you cannot add (or update) your information yourself, please ask another VJ member to help you do so.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Thanks for creating the thread. 2 months is right at the corner. By the way, that app was awesome. Cost $1.99 on my Android phone but it's worth it.

Naturalization

04/08/2013 - N-400 Mailed

07/22/2013 - N-400 Recommended for approval

08/13/2013 - Oath Ceremony

Officially a US citizen.

08/20/2013 - I-130 for Mom mailed

09/02/2013 - NOA received

03/04/2014 - I-130 Approval

Timeline

Thanks for creating the thread. 2 months is right at the corner. By the way, that app was awesome. Cost $1.99 on my Android phone but it's worth it.

No problem! I think it's great too but I got the free one, not the paid one. Bet the paid one is even better though!

Timeline

Vanessa, I wanted to thank you for recommending the free app. :) My husband downloaded it to his tablet and has been using it to study and practice for the test. He will be sending in his paperwork for naturalization this week, so this free app has been really helpful. Thank you again for mentioning it in your post. :)

pkyxguryrufud.png

Timeline

Vanessa, I wanted to thank you for recommending the free app. :) My husband downloaded it to his tablet and has been using it to study and practice for the test. He will be sending in his paperwork for naturalization this week, so this free app has been really helpful. Thank you again for mentioning it in your post. :)

Fantastic! Thanks for the feedback. I found myself learning really quickly when I was using the app so happy other people feel the same! Congrats on starting the final stage of the process!

Timeline

Fantastic! Thanks for the feedback. I found myself learning really quickly when I was using the app so happy other people feel the same! Congrats on starting the final stage of the process!

Yes, my husband said that studying through this app was really easy and he was learning information fast. :)

Thank you for the kind wishes on this last step of the journey; we hope we get through this final part quickly.

pkyxguryrufud.png

In terms of the civics test, i have an Android phone and downloaded this app a while ago: https://play.google....ship2011Edition and I practiced learning with it and found it really really helpful so I suggest something like that for people :) I'm always on my phone anyway and 5 mins of testing practice here and there really paid off :)

Here is the iOS (ipad, iphone etc) version; https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/us-citizenship-2013/id422709270?mt=8

There are plenty of other to choose from on itunes as well.

i'll be filing in May so will be starting a similar thread soon!

/wave @ Vanessa

Timeline

[/size]

Here is the iOS (ipad, iphone etc) version; https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/us-citizenship-2013/id422709270?mt=8

There are plenty of other to choose from on itunes as well.

i'll be filing in May so will be starting a similar thread soon!

/wave @ Vanessa

Thanks Warren! /wave

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Anguilla
Timeline

Thanks for starting this thread Vanessa-:) this will be our home till Sept -Oct once we file-:) excited!!

2 year Cond-GC anniv.: 07-15-12

I-751 mailed: 06-23-12

I-751rec'd: 06-25-12 @ 21:30 hrs

NOA dated 06-25-12

Check cashed: 06-26-12

Filed service request for non-receipt of biometrics appt: 07-30-12

Biometrics appt. notice received: 08-09-12

Biometrics appt. scheduled: 08-24-12

Biometrics taken (walk-in) 08-23-12

Approved: 02-19-13

Card Ordered: 02-21-13

Card Mailed: 02-25-13

Card Rec'd: 02-28-13

N-400 Filing window opens: 04-16-13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 mailed: 04-16-13

N-400 received: 04-18-13

NOA Priority date(when they entered it into system) 04-18-13

Check cashed: 04-23-13

NOA Recv'd: 04-26-13

Biometrics: 05-13-13

Interview: 07-29-13 APPROVED

Oath: 09-25-13

Timeline

Thanks for starting this thread Vanessa-:) this will be our home till Sept -Oct once we file-:) excited!!

yay welcome!

Filed: Timeline

Would you think you would get an RFE for going to just option C? I heard you still have to send in bank statements, bills ,etc that span for the entire 3 years. but I am not sure as I am still doing research as well. I read the instruction it says A OR B OR C, but then I asked here, and they said it's supposed to be all.

Yes yes I know it's early but in around 2 months my window to file will officially open. I'm not sure yet whether i'll be able to afford to file at that time, or if we'll want to file at that time, but I want to at least get a head start on what I need to do/gather and it helps to see what everyone else is doing as well!

Thankfully the processes have gotten easier (well the forms at least) as we did each new step. N-400 is easier than I-751 in terms of what documents they require to be sent with the form and only slightly more expensive.

This is what my Cover Letter looks like right now (cover letters are not a requirement but I use them as checklists so they help me stay organised):

- Payment in the amount of $680.00 payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security;

- N-400 – Application for Naturalization, signed & dated #####

- Copy of Permanent Resident Card; front and back (1 page);

- 2 passport photos (Alien number on back)

- Copy of Birth Certificate of Tony(1 page)

- Copy of Marriage certificate, dated 7 November 2009 (1 page)

- Copies of IRS Tax Return Transcripts from 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (# pages);

The above is based on M-477 which is the document list for N-400. Page 1 under topic "Evidence if filing based on marriage to USC..." (or words to that effect) #4 states an A or B or C situation. I'm personally going with option C.

The form is pretty easy to complete but it was only because I looked at the form ages that I knew I needed to keep track of dates outside of the US. I went back to Aus last year but also in 2010 and it's hard to remember those dates specifically if I didn't write it down or keep the itinerary.

You are being interviewed no matter what you send so there's really no need to front load but of course you can.

This is my list of things I'm planning on taking to interview (so far):

- My immigration folder which contains every form I've ever submitted and every piece of evidence I've ever sent (I'm very organised about this folder and will be updating it with numbered plastic sleeves and a numbered contents list)

- Updated information since i-751, so copies of:

-- Electricity bills

-- Bank statements

-- Car insurance cards

-- Health insurance cards

-- Dental/Medical bills

Also, my father passed in September so I have condolences cards from then addressed to both of us, as well as a thank you/birthday card mum wrote to Tony when she stayed here for 3 weeks.

In terms of the civics test, i have an Android phone and downloaded this app a while ago: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.gordons.uscitizenship2011Edition and I practiced learning with it and found it really really helpful so I suggest something like that for people :) I'm always on my phone anyway and 5 mins of testing practice here and there really paid off :)

ALSO -- In case you didn't know, you do NOT get a passport included in the processing fee, so make sure you have the money for that set aside when the time comes. Some offices offer same-day processing (for an additional fee), some offer expedited (for an additional fee) but most are file and wait. You CANNOT leave the US without your US passport once you're a citizen (which is only after you've taken the Oath, not after you passed the test) so if you have plans for travel you might want to make sure you wait to take the Oath until after you're back (which is allowed) or at least find out if an office near you offers expedite or same-day processing for passports.

Good luck to us all!

Timeline

Would you think you would get an RFE for going to just option C? I heard you still have to send in bank statements, bills ,etc that span for the entire 3 years. but I am not sure as I am still doing research as well. I read the instruction it says A OR B OR C, but then I asked here, and they said it's supposed to be all.

Nope I don't think I'll get RFE'd, and if I do it's not a big deal anyway because I have plenty of evidence to send. There's no point in them RFE'ing me because I'll be taking all that to the interview anyway. You can include more if you like, but lots and lots of people on here sent exactly what I posted without RFE. Plus I just filed ROC a year ago, aside from accumulating more bills nothing has really changed.

Filed: Timeline

Could you point me to those posts? I cannot seem to find any information about this one. I sure would hope I could just submit the tax transcript too and bring those bills, etc. to the interview. But I asked here and they said otherwise:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/409968-n-400-requirement-for-marriage/page__p__5931030__fromsearch__1#entry5931030

Timeline

Could you point me to those posts? I cannot seem to find any information about this one. I sure would hope I could just submit the tax transcript too and bring those bills, etc. to the interview. But I asked here and they said otherwise:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/409968-n-400-requirement-for-marriage/page__p__5931030__fromsearch__1#entry5931030

jkelly is notorious for wrong information. NickD kept referring to his "wife's IO" meaning his wife's interviewing officer... which means "at interview" she was asked for these things. You asked about "sending" information, they all answered about having it for interview.

Here's three posts:

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/396904-relevant-documents-to-be-attached-with-my-n400/page__view__findpost__p__5784712

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/391022-what-to-send-with-the-n-400-form/page__view__findpost__p__5715591

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/389216-how-to-assemble-the-package/page__view__findpost__p__5691503

There are many more I'm sure but you can do a search using the "advanced search" section if you want to see more .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.