fishj

2 Simple K-1 Fiance Questions

50 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello!

I am an American living in Morocco. I would like to marry in the USA but return back to Morocco for a few years before returning to the USA.
Questions:

1. Is it even possible to file a K-1 visa to get married and leave (not stay to live in the USA as I currently work in Morocco)?
2. To turn in the petition - do you have to mail it in physically IN the USA or could I mail that from Morocco?

Timeline

Financially it will be difficult to move after getting married. 
I would like to bring my fiance to USA to visit but was told it would be very difficult for him to be approved so I figured it would be easiest to take this route. Plus I would like to have the ceremony in USA. 

It's a pretty expensive visitor's visa. You have to prove that you have domicile in the US and that you're earning enough money, etc. 

@geowrian might be able to shed more light. I'm pretty sure this can't be done...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, fishj said:

Financially it will be difficult to move after getting married. 
I would like to bring my fiance to USA to visit but was told it would be very difficult for him to be approved so I figured it would be easiest to take this route. Plus I would like to have the ceremony in USA. 

Waste of time and money. And even the K-1 can be denied and is a lot in Morocco even with you living there. Nothing is guaranteed.

And the K-1 visa is used to get permanent residency for the immigrant... if you stay them both leave again for a long time it could just be considered abandoned and there, then stuck having to start all over again with a spousal visa if ever wanted to come back again.

Has your fiance attempted to get a tourist visa? Doesn't hurt to try other than paying the fee.  

Only way your idea might work is if you were to successfully get the K-1 visa, then come to the US, marry and remain for about 4 years... he could then gain US citizenship and then you could move around the world all you like... but until then, he would be at risk of possibly abandoning his residency as a green card holder.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Waste of time and money. And even the K-1 can be denied and is a lot in Morocco even with you living there. Nothing is guaranteed.

And the K-1 visa is used to get permanent residency for the immigrant... if you stay them both leave again for a long time it could just be considered abandoned and there, then stuck having to start all over again with a spousal visa if ever wanted to come back again.

Has your fiance attempted to get a tourist visa? Doesn't hurt to try other than paying the fee.  

Only way your idea might work is if you were to successfully get the K-1 visa, then come to the US, marry and remain for about 4 years... he could then gain US citizenship and then you could move around the world all you like... but until then, he would be at risk of possibly abandoning his residency as a green card holder.

Do you know if it would be better if he filed being single or stating that he is married to an American? (provided that we get a Morocco) 

There is so much corruption in Morocco that I don't know which would give him better chances of being approved.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes people have done it in the past 

it is possible to apply for the k1 to use it for the purpose of getting married in the US  and then leave

you will need to mail the petition into the lockbox

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Just an FYI sometimes this is the only option for people, and I know of people who have applied for the k1 just for the purpose of getting married in the US without intent to adjust status, if the goal is a US wedding, it is worth it to those who cant otherwise come for a wedding

the k1 does not require AoS

Spoiler

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kastrs said:

Yes people have done it in the past 

it is possible to apply for the k1 to use it for the purpose of getting married in the US  and then leave

you will need to mail the petition into the lockbox

Can you mail it to the lockbox FROM Morocco or do you have to be in the States when you mail it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
17 minutes ago, fishj said:

Hello!

I am an American living in Morocco. I would like to marry in the USA but return back to Morocco for a few years before returning to the USA.
Questions:

1. Is it even possible to file a K-1 visa to get married and leave (not stay to live in the USA as I currently work in Morocco)?
2. To turn in the petition - do you have to mail it in physically IN the USA or could I mail that from Morocco?

A K-1 is not appropriate in your situation.  Your options are:

1. Your fiance applies for a tourist visa.  If approved, fiance comes to US, marries you, then returns to home country.

2.  You marry outside the US.  Later, you can apply for a spousal visa.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, fishj said:

Can you mail it to the lockbox FROM Morocco or do you have to be in the States when you mail it. 

go ahead an mail from morocco, just make sure you have the fee in USD from a check with a US bank or us money order

Spoiler

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, fishj said:

Do you know if it would be better if he filed being single or stating that he is married to an American? (provided that we get a Morocco) 

There is so much corruption in Morocco that I don't know which would give him better chances of being approved.

It's Morocco, so either can be seen as bad I suppose... Couldn't answer which way would be better; but filing for the I-129f and paying that much money (filing cost, medical, embassy fee, other small things.)

You can do it if you want to; but again just applying for it doesn't mean in the end it wouldn't be denied and then all the time and money is gone so it's up to you.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.