fishj

2 Simple K-1 Fiance Questions

50 posts in this topic

@fishj,

Are you aware that the K1 visa is a one time use visa? Meaning once you use it to enter the first time, you can no longer use it later to reenter the US?

I agree with others that the K1 may not be the appropriate visa to use because it is dual intent.  However, if it is a specific place in the US that you have a desire to have your wedding, then by all means you are free to use it.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Jaquelly said:

So the goal can be a US wedding - neat. The person clogs up the system for those of us who want to get married and live in the US with our spouse. That's NOT what this application is meant for and it slows it down for the rest of us. 

you missed the point that sometimes there is no option if the beneficiary cant get a tourist visa

how is it their fault that they are unable to enter using VWP and unable to get a b2?

AoS is NOT compulsory with a k1, so while the majority do AoS there is no reason one cannot use the k1 for the purpose of a wedding

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

@fishj,

Are you aware that the K1 visa is a one time use visa? Meaning once you use it to enter the first time, you can no longer use it later to reenter the US?

I agree with others that the K1 may not be the appropriate visa to use because it is dual intent.  However, if it is a specific place in the US that you have a desire to have your wedding, then by all means you are free to use it.

I did not know it was a one time use. I tried talking to someone at the US embassy here in Morocco but they were extremely unhelpful - hence why I am trying to get answers here on this site.

1 minute ago, Kastrs said:

you missed the point that sometimes there is no option if the beneficiary cant get a tourist visa

how is it their fault that they are unable to enter using VWP and unable to get a b2?

AoS is NOT compulsory with a k1, so while the majority do AoS there is no reason one cannot use the k1 for the purpose of a wedding

It's not my fault, or any of our faults, that we don't want the K1 visa to be used inappropriately just because someone doesn't fulfill the criteria of a visitor or work visa. It's borderline fraud if you ask me, and I don't condone it.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

So the goal can be a US wedding - neat. The person clogs up the system for those of us who want to get married and live in the US with our spouse. That's NOT what this application is meant for and it slows it down for the rest of us. 

My goal is NOT for it to be a US wedding. It is to avoid the extreme unfair laws that Moroccan men have over women. For example, with a Moroccan marriage, a woman must get their husbands approval to leave the country with their kids if she wants to travel with them and also the men have more control/power over the bank accounts. THAT is why my fiance and I want to have a US marriage. He doesn't want me to lose any of my rights.

Just now, fishj said:

My goal is NOT for it to be a US wedding. It is to avoid the extreme unfair laws that Moroccan men have over women. For example, with a Moroccan marriage, a woman must get their husbands approval to leave the country with their kids if she wants to travel with them and also the men have more control/power over the bank accounts. THAT is why my fiance and I want to have a US marriage. He doesn't want me to lose any of my rights.

I don't really understand. You want to get married in the US to avoid that life, but continue to live in Morocco where that's the culture? How is that going to help you?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, fishj said:

Have you though about getting married in a 3rd country? it would be better and cheaper (no k1 visa process) and then you could file for a spouse visa when you are ready to move to the US. I think this would be a better option.

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

Timeline
Just now, Jaquelly said:

I don't really understand. You want to get married in the US to avoid that life, but continue to live in Morocco where that's the culture? How is that going to help you?

I have a work contract I would like to respect and save enough money to then move back to the States. 

Like I said earlier in another post. I tried to contact the embassy here to ask questions to see what my options are and they only stated this would be the better one. I came here to learn more about the K1 visa and get my questions answered.

Timeline
1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

Therein lies your dilemma. Something else for your to consider now.

Options:

• Use the K1 to enter and marry. Return to your country. When ready to immigrate to US, your US spouse will file for spousal visa.
  • Try for a visitor visa. If you can obtain one, use it to enter the US, marry, and return to your country. You can then continue to use your visitor visa to visit the US.
  • Change your plans to marry your fiance in your home country (or another country that you can visit). When ready to migrate to the US, have US citizen spouse apply for a spousal visa. After arriving in US with spousal visa, have a big wedding ceremony wherever you desire in the US.

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it!!

Just now, fishj said:

I have a work contract I would like to respect and save enough money to then move back to the States. 

Like I said earlier in another post. I tried to contact the embassy here to ask questions to see what my options are and they only stated this would be the better one. I came here to learn more about the K1 visa and get my questions answered.

I'm not trying to be rude. I know that I sound that way, but I am trying to save you HUNDREDS of dollars before you file for a visa that might not be the best fit for you.

@NuestraUnion has some really great ideas for you up there. We don't want you wasting your time or money. Ultimately, the only thing any of us want is to find the right solution for you and your fiance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Just now, fishj said:

Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate it!!

Just consider that K1 visas have a high denial rate in Morocco. so it's not even sure you'll get it granted. Try to go with the less risky option for you guys.

Good luck!

NOA 1 *NEW* USCIS website: March 01, 2018

RFE USCIS website: September 26, 2018

RFE Hard copy: October 01, 2018

RFE Response Sent:  October 10, 2018

RFE Received by USCIS:  October 16, 2018

NOA2!!!!! *NEW* USCIS website: November 2, 2018

NVC Received: November 14, 2018

NVC Case Number: November 29, 2018

NVC In Transit: December 11, 2018

NVC Ready: December 13, 2018

Medical: February 18, 2019

CAS (Biometrics): February 19, 2019

Interview: February 20, 2019 - APPROVED!

CEAC Issued: Februery 27, 2019

VOH: March 12, 2019

POE: March 23, 2019

Marriage: May 10, 2019

11 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

It's not my fault, or any of our faults, that we don't want the K1 visa to be used inappropriately just because someone doesn't fulfill the criteria of a visitor or work visa. It's borderline fraud if you ask me, and I don't condone it.

There is nothing borderline fraud in using a K1 visa (if it is approved... and honestly they will likely have an uphill climb here.. so don't worry too much) for the intended purpose of marrying in the US. That is it's purpose. There's nothing in the law itself that states the OP is doing anything illegal with the visa in using it for it's stated purpose. Of course, obtaining it will be half the battle... it's also probably an expensive plan, and could prove fruitless, but if they've got the money to burn...  you know?

Their application isn't going to clog the system any more than anyone else's, and since they do not intend to use it afterwards to stay and adjust, it will provide less of a clog in the future, if successful of course. A K1 is under no legal obligation to stay and adjust, that's simply just how it works. The law merely provides the option for the K1 to stay and adjust if they want to (contrast that with a UK marriage visitor visa which does not provide that option at all). If that's not in the interests of this couple's situation, then they do not have to do so.

Is it the best option for the OP? Probably not, if they want it to be successful against a high denial rate..

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

I am moving this thread to "What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration" as OP needs advice on appropriate visa for their circumstance.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jaquelly said:

I'm not trying to be rude. I know that I sound that way, but I am trying to save you HUNDREDS of dollars before you file for a visa that might not be the best fit for you.

@NuestraUnion has some really great ideas for you up there. We don't want you wasting your time or money. Ultimately, the only thing any of us want is to find the right solution for you and your fiance.

Yea, I think @NuestraUnion gave me some great ideas. I legit was transferred countless times thru the embassy and they only told me about the K1... I appreciate all this feedback and of course really appreciate the warnings of how expensive it is. There is just SO much info to go thru and figure out what is best for us. I just needed to know what my options were, and am SO glad to know it's not just the K1. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.