Brad_C

Incredibly disappointing interview

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

So my fiancée went to the interview very prepared, we checked the list 3 times at least, and they wound up asking for more paperwork. 

They want copies of my divorces, which were sent 18 months ago when we started the process or I don't think they could have even sent the process to the embassy. I really think the woman just wants her to see my divorce paperwork, even though she told them that she's well aware of all of that.  

Also they wanted something different for her criminal background check, a report with some type of exception.  

They also want me to file the form proving my income again.  I make several times the minimum, but besides that, it's not my fault the process took 18 months.  Now I have to pay the lawer to redo this since I really don't want to risk more delays.  

The most disturbing is they want her immigration history from 2002-2005 when my fiancée was in the states illegally.  They already know this, they asked her about it, and she said yes.  But this is well outside of the 10 year ban so it's not even relevant.  The worst part is that this immigration history is going to take up to THREE MONTHS to recieve from Argentina.  

Anyone have any suggestions??

Edited by Brad_C

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They are probably looking to see if she has any other bans from her presence in the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the K-1 Case Progress subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Brad_C said:

they wound up asking for more paperwork

At least you're able to provide what they want, albeit with difficulty.

Be thankful that you're not being asked to return multiple times as though you're a criminal who's been ordered to return stolen goods.  This really has happened.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hey there! We do have a WhatsApp group for Argentinian filers... If you want to join, please send me a DM with your number. I promise we keep the group relevant to only immigration- related questions and comments.

Also, I know hindsight 20/20, but when an applicant goes to an interview they need to bring everything that's already submitted + new evidence.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline

Just thinking did the Lawyer do a deep dive into her Immigration past?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

We she doesn't have original papers of my divorce.  I have pdf files.  THey didn't mention original papers in the list they gave her.  I had to go the court house to get originals which the lawyer sent when we started the process.  The lawyer will have to mail the I134 also if that's the case.   I guess I better do it because it really seems like they're just trying to drag out the process.  

Timeline
7 hours ago, powerpuff said:

Original divorce decrees are always required for the interview regardless of the fact that you have sent them to USCIS at the beginning of the process.

Regarding police certificate, this is also written out on Department of State’s website for each country and should be checked when trying to obtain documents to satisfy the requirements. For Argentina it says specifically they want the one with the special exception:

Procedure for Obtaining:

• Applicants in Argentina: The certificate can be obtained by scheduling an appointment online at https://www.argentina.gob.ar/justicia/reincidencia and paying the fee at a bank.  When applying online, applicants must request a police record “con excepción al artículo 51 del Código Penal.”

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Argentina.html

Lastly, it’s also standard to bring updated income requirements to the interview.

Im sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience but three out of four things could have been avoided had you done prior research especially here on VJ. To answer your question about what to do - get everything they have asked for. I don’t see any other alternatives. 

I know the information is out there but it's not easy to find or this forum wouldn't exist.  The lawyer should have told me these things too.  I could have sent her these documents months ago.  

Timeline
5 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

We, also, had to provide more documents after wife's interview.  Just provide what they ask for.  

They want original divorce decrees.  That is always the case.

They want to verify your CURRENT income.  

They want to verify her history inside the US.  She could have other inadmissibility. 

"Irrelevant" is something only the Consulate Officer can determine.

I hope the rest of your journey is smooth.

They didn't ask for her history going in and out of the US, they sent her a link to get her history going in and out of Argentina, and only from 2002-2005.  Should I be concerned about this??

Timeline

You are not the first to have lawyer issues

Timeline
1 minute ago, Brad_C said:

They didn't ask for her history going in and out of the US, they sent her a link to get her history going in and out of Argentina, and only from 2002-2005.  Should I be concerned about this??

There is no way I can sensibly answer that without knowing the history 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.