HMM1234

Emergency visa for my father

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi

I am a US citizen. My father lives in another country. He has diabetes and prostate issues. I want to apply an emergency visa for him. I do understand that emergency visas are granted on medical basis, I can attach reports from his doctor with the emergency request, but my question is that how will it work here in US? 

1. Do I need a doctor here as well before his arrival?

2. Do I need to buy insurance for him? Or he will qualify for medicare here? He is above 70.

3. Should I take the emergency route or should I call him on B1/B2? 

Plz guide, lot of confusions in my mind.

I would really appreciate if someone can guide in this regard.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thankyou for your reply. I think I should have said emergency request for a visa. A friend recently got one for her mother because she had an infant to take care of. Daycare was not willing to take her fussy child and she had to join job. She didn't have any other help. She applied for an emergency request for visa and her mother was granted one. So I thought may be I can use the same approach as well. 

Secondly I understand your point regarding the cost. That's my question, will he be able to get Medicare as he is 70+ or medi cal? I live in California.

Thirdly, he has unmarried children in Pakistan. My mother died two years back so he can't leave them alone there, no chance of staying and change of status until my siblings get married. I might apply for his immigration once my siblings are settled. 

Any suggestions now? Should I go for B1/B2 without mentioning medical issues?

The emergency visa is a B1/B2 that is expedited.

You need to apply for it normally and request for an emergency appointment at the time of scheduling the interview.

You need to provide proof such as "a letter from the doctor who is treating or will treat you or your loved one. The letter must describe the medical condition and the urgency of the situation. You must also present evidence of your relationship to the sick or injured person."

Medicare is for residents and citizens only.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, HMM1234 said:

Thankyou for your reply. I think I should have said emergency request for a visa. A friend recently got one for her mother because she had an infant to take care of. Daycare was not willing to take her fussy child and she had to join job. She didn't have any other help. She applied for an emergency request for visa and her mother was granted one. So I thought may be I can use the same approach as well. 

Secondly I understand your point regarding the cost. That's my question, will he be able to get Medicare as he is 70+ or medi cal? I live in California.

Thirdly, he has unmarried children in Pakistan. My mother died two years back so he can't leave them alone there, no chance of staying and change of status until my siblings get married. I might apply for his immigration once my siblings are settled. 

Interview Required Visitors (B1/B2)    353 Calendar Days

So you are looking at about a year out.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, HMM1234 said:

A non-resident alien cannot get Medicare. For Medi-Cal, I see the following:

How long does a person have to be living in California before they can be deemed a resident of California for Medi-Cal eligibility purposes?

There is no time period associated with being a California resident. However, a person does have to be physically present in California with the intent to remain in California permanently or indefinitely.

He won't meet that requirement on a tourist visa. 

Has he ever traveled to the U.S. before or been granted a tourist visa in the past?

Edit: Also, what other ties to his home country does he have? Are the unmarried children dependent on him?

Edited by beloved_dingo

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline

If he is 70 the children are no doubt grown up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

If he is 70 the children are no doubt grown up.

You would think so, but men can have children quite late in life. It's possible he still has children under 18. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
21 minutes ago, HMM1234 said:

So I thought may be I can use the same approach as well. 

To clarify, are you seeking a visa for him to receive medical treatment or to visit you?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

You can get an Emergency appointment, they do not expedite B's. But then you have all the Medical stuff to go through. I am sort of surprised he cannot get treatment locally and anywhere else is going to be cheaper than the US, a lot cheaper in most cases.

Or he can apply for the regular system and is looking at a year out.

I would imagine money will crush this anyway.

Timeline
1 minute ago, beloved_dingo said:

You would think so, but men can have children quite late in life. It's possible he still has children under 18. 

True

I read it as daughters who had yet to marry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.