Becki Louise

Re-entering on ESTA

28 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hey guys.

This forum was very helpful on my last post and ypu all advised me not to bother with the K1 visa, instead to visit my partner on an ESTA visa.

Basic overview - I am a UK citizen, living in Australia and have a partner from the US. We're trying to figure a way to not have to do this long distance anymore. So I'd like to temporarily move to the US to be with him (I will not be working). We are then planning to come back to Australia mid next year to settle for a while, while I do my citizenship. Best to be married for that so that's what we will plan to do.

My question right now is what is the go with re-entering on an ESTA?

Our timeline looks like this for 2023/2024:

Our current plans look like this for 2023/2024:
- I am visiting him for 2 weeks May/July.
- I am going to the UK to visit family and for a trip to Italy for 4 weeks.
- I would visit him again for 4 weeks, end of July to end of August.
- We would both go to the UK for a 2 week visit.
- I would come back with him early September.
- We would vacation out of the US for 10 days/2 weeks before heading back together.
- We fly to the UK for Christmas, for 2 weeks.
- I would fly back again with him in Jan, we would get engaged in the following couple of months.
- We plan a 2/3 week vacation to the UK/France in March.
- I fly back to the US with him and we would marry in May.

So, I would be re-entering the US 5 times in a time period of 7 months. Never for more than 90 days. All the while being able to prove to immigration that I am independently financially capable of not needing employment.

I am also looking at volunteering during these stays, either at a humane society or the forestry service where he lives and would hopefully be able to provide a letter from the organisation stating I am volunteering only.

If anyone has any experience in this, please let me know! 😊

Thank you!

Agreed with everything that was said so far. You need to rethink your plans.

1 hour ago, Becki Louise said:

All the while being able to prove to immigration that I am independently financially capable of not needing employment

That is not helping your case at all.

1 hour ago, Becki Louise said:

fly back to the US with him and we would marry in May.

And what is the plan after that? 

This is way too much visiting in way too little time.. 5 times in 7 months is a lot, even if you have the financial means to do it. CBP is very likely not going to like that. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

3 hours ago, Becki Louise said:

Hey guys.

This forum was very helpful on my last post and ypu all advised me not to bother with the K1 visa, instead to visit my partner on an ESTA visa.

Basic overview - I am a UK citizen, living in Australia and have a partner from the US. We're trying to figure a way to not have to do this long distance anymore. So I'd like to temporarily move to the US to be with him (I will not be working). We are then planning to come back to Australia mid next year to settle for a while, while I do my citizenship. Best to be married for that so that's what we will plan to do.

- We would vacation out of the US for 10 days/2 weeks before heading back together.
- I would fly back again with him in Jan, we would get engaged in the following couple of months.

So, I would be re-entering the US 5 times in a time period of 7 months. Never for more than 90 days. All the while being able to prove to immigration that I am independently financially capable of not needing employment.

I am also looking at volunteering during these stays, either at a humane society or the forestry service where he lives and would hopefully be able to provide a letter from the organisation stating I am volunteering only.

Thank you!

Not a smart plan, by any stretch.   

In order to be allowed to do what you apparently seek to do (frequent trips into the US, volunteering for a federal agency), you need an immigrant visa.

Marrying and planning to stay are not allowed.   You need to be petitioned for either a K-1 or a CR-1.

Would be a damn shame to deplane after that 16+ hour trip, only to be returned to sender due to suspected immigrant intent/abuse of ESTA privileges at the border.

16 minutes ago, Becki Louise said:

Thank you everyone. I was thinking the same. Have seen we can volunteer on an ESTA but agreed on the amount of re-entries. Thank you

Volunteering is a slippery slope.   Please put a link to the official USCIS policy stating that.

Volunteering becomes a labor/work permit issue if you are volunteering for work that an American could get paid to do.     Volunteers in the US are typically vetted with background checks and such.   I’d be very surprised if the agencies you named would allow a tourist to volunteer.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 hours ago, Becki Louise said:

Hey guys.

Thank you!

Just from my own experience: volunteering CAN get difficult if they have it  mandatory to provide us id/ drivers license and/ or social security number - i had that issue and ended up not being able to volunteer at the places I wanted to🤷‍♀️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.