Lotus95

New document instead of ADIT stamps?

38 posts in this topic

Hello, I couldn't find much information about it here, but apologies if I missed it somewhere. I'm currently waiting for my removal of conditions and for the past 3 years or so I've been going through the long and annoying process of getting the stamp In my pass yearly, you know calling the USCIS and waiting 30 days for someone to call me back to be able to schedule an infopass and go to the nearest office for that 1 stamp (long story short my conditional GC was lost/stolen in the mail, tried to get a replacement for free twice but did not work as tracking said delivered). Anyway my stamp expired in September, so I finally called USCIS today, went through the regular process and was told I will get a call in 30 days and gave me a number from where the call will come from, so I'll know it's not spam. Well, 2 hours later I'm driving and a call pops up ''USCIS'', I couldn't believe it and pulled on the side of the road with hazard lights because we all know you can't miss that call. This super nice gentleman explained to me (after all security questions and giving me the confirmation number I was given 2 hours ago) that they can send me a document in the mail, I was so in shock that I don't remember what was it called, i-something, that is like a temporary green card document (?) for people waiting on their actual green cards. I was like huhhh, how come I have never heard about it and he told me it is very new and they just started doing it this month (or last month). He explained the request is sent to my field office who will look over my case and mail the document to me, probably in the next 15 days, so I don't have to go to the office at all. I also confirmed how long is it valid (because my extension letter expires in like 2 months) and he said usually for a year and yes I can travel with just this document + passport. I also received an e-mail right after the call that my request was sent to Tampa. I could not believe it, does anyone know any more information about this? Or has recently gotten the same thing? I hope there was no misunderstanding and I actually do not have to wait a month for a 2 hour drive for 1 stamp. 

AOS from ESTA

05/24/2018 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox

05/29/2018 Package received

05/31/2018 Priority date

06/04/2018 NOA1 received via text and email

06/08/2018 NOA1 hard copy received in mail

06/15/2018 Received biometrics letter in mail

06/20/2018 RFIE notice in the system

06/25/2018 RFIE in the mail

06/26/2018 Biometrics done one day early

06/27/2018 Sent out answer to RFIE

07/02/2018 RFIE response received

07/11/2018 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview!

07/14/2018 Courtesy letter for medical received

09/26/2018 EAD card in production!

10/01/2018 Card was mailed to me

10/03/2018 EAD card in hand!
10/06/2018 SSN card received in mail

04/11/2019 Case has been scheduled for interview 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Lotus95 said:

how come I have never heard about it and he told me it is very new and they just started doing it this month (or last month).

Sounds like a tier one called you. The only thing which resembles any truth to what the USCIS person said is that they are now sending out 48 month extension letters instead of 24 month extension letters.  You may or may not get one.  Have you filed an N-400 for citizenship yet?  There is no new "temporary Green card".

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Yes I have heard about the 48 month letters and I specifically clarified if this document that I'm supposed to get is good for traveling with just a passport, as I don't have a physical card and he said yes, and good usually for a year, like the stamp. So I don't think he was talking about the extension letter..I also received an e-mail right after stating something like thank you for calling about the ADIT stamp and we sent your request to Tampa and gave me a referral ID. Previously I have received a similar e-mail after an appointment was already scheduled. I have not filed the N-400. Oh well then, I guess I'm going to wait and see what will happen. I truly hope it was not some misinformation from the agent :( but I'll keep updated!

AOS from ESTA

05/31/2018 Priority date

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Lotus95 said:

Yes I have heard about the 48 month letters and I specifically clarified if this document that I'm supposed to get is good for traveling with just a passport, as I don't have a physical card and he said yes, and good usually for a year, like the stamp. So I don't think he was talking about the extension letter..I also received an e-mail right after stating something like thank you for calling about the ADIT stamp and we sent your request to Tampa and gave me a referral ID. Previously I have received a similar e-mail after an appointment was already scheduled. I have not filed the N-400. Oh well then, I guess I'm going to wait and see what will happen. I truly hope it was not some misinformation from the agent :( but I'll keep updated!

Please keep us updated.  There has been no official announcement regarding a "temporary Green Card" and no one here has reported that it exists.  I think this was a tier one lying...again.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lotus95 said:

I specifically clarified if this document that I'm supposed to get is good for traveling with just a passport, as I don't have a physical card and he said yes, and good usually for a year, like the stamp.

Sounds like advance parole....there is no "temporary green card"

Edited by Crazy Cat

5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Sounds like advance parole....there is no "temporary green card"

Tier 1 almost created an urban myth 😃

Either he / she thought you needed AP, but that's usually given to people in AOS stage, not once they become LPRs.

Or travel document with I-551 stamp as @SteveInBostonI130 mentioned.

Either way, you should try to get an extension letter or I-551 stamp.

Noo not the urban myth 😅.. he might have not called it a temporary green card but it was a temporary something.. some type of i form🤔 So maybe indeed the travel one? Honestly I would be happy with whatever, if it's valid for a year and avoids the appointment at the office I'm happy. It makes a whole lot more sense than the current procedure.  Also how on earth they called me only 2 hours later + mentioning it's a new thing they just started doing which is suspicious. But if I'm literally the only one here with that experience then I'm not so sure anymore..

Edited by Lotus95

AOS from ESTA

05/31/2018 Priority date

Thank you for sharing! 

Please keep us posted when you receive your mystery document because I want one too! 😅

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

12 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

It sounds like they will issue a travel document with a temporary I-551 stamp.

I’m going with this.

I swear there was another one of these stories around here in the last couple of months? I think it maybe was also in Florida. 

2 hours ago, AW1704 said:

I’m going with this.

I swear there was another one of these stories around here in the last couple of months? I think it maybe was also in Florida. 

Yes I remember that thread too but I don’t think I’ll be able to find it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, it's indeed an I-551 stamp sent in the mail. A fellow from Florida received one and shared his story here. I commented on that thread that this will be a game changer if it's widely issued. So this awesome you are also going to get one to add to our VJ stats that is a thing. I will look for that post and link here. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
21 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

I will look for that post and link here. 

Edited by nastra30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.