Bahrainexpat

I-485 approved within 2.5 months, no interview, suspect

16 posts in this topic

I submitted the family based AOS package(I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) for my wife in November 2022, USCIS received on 14.Nov.2022. She entered the US in September 2022 via K-1(we both lived/worked in Bahrain) and we married the same month. I didn't expect to hear anything soon except maybe approval of the I-765 sometime this spring. To our utter shock, we received an email yesterday that USCIS had taken action on our case. We logged in the morning shortly after that email and didn't see anything. Our case still had the 'we are actively reviewing your case....' status for the I-485 and I-765.  I logged in again last night and entered the receipt number for our I-485 and it indicated our case was approved on 31.Jan.2023. Sure enough, in the documents section was our I-485 approval. We did not submit an expedite request. 

Bear in mind, we just submitted our case in November 2022. We did biometrics on 6.December.202, but had no interview. Does this ever happen? I am highly suspect there is an error or glitch here. Until I see the ‘card is being produced’ it’s just really hard for us to mentally process.

My other question is, after I-485 approval what is the typical timeline to receive the green card in the mail? Our notice indicates we can’t submit an inquiry to follow up until 90 days after the approval notice.

10 minutes ago, Bahrainexpat said:

I submitted the family based AOS package(I-485, I-864, I-765, I-131) for my wife in November 2022, USCIS received on 14.Nov.2022. She entered the US in September 2022 via K-1(we both lived/worked in Bahrain) and we married the same month. I didn't expect to hear anything soon except maybe approval of the I-765 sometime this spring. To our utter shock, we received an email yesterday that USCIS had taken action on our case. We logged in the morning shortly after that email and didn't see anything. Our case still had the 'we are actively reviewing your case....' status for the I-485 and I-765.  I logged in again last night and entered the receipt number for our I-485 and it indicated our case was approved on 31.Jan.2023. Sure enough, in the documents section was our I-485 approval. We did not submit an expedite request. 

Bear in mind, we just submitted our case in November 2022. We did biometrics on 6.December.202, but had no interview. Does this ever happen? I am highly suspect there is an error or glitch here. Until I see the ‘card is being produced’ it’s just really hard for us to mentally process.

My other question is, after I-485 approval what is the typical timeline to receive the green card in the mail? Our notice indicates we can’t submit an inquiry to follow up until 90 days after the approval notice.

Tthat is truth , it isnt an error.

On june 2022, i sent a aos package for a friend, even with vaccination waiver. And her case was approved on august 26.

She did biometric on july 19 , 2022.

Frst i didnt belived but her card arrived on september 1, 2021.

It is took a week after her approved status for she got her card

14 minutes ago, Bahrainexpat said:

My friend adjusted her status from b2 visa

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

16 minutes ago, Bahrainexpat said:

Saturday or monday your wife will get her card 

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Roc April 27, 2021

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

🤣

38 minutes ago, Bahrainexpat said:

no error or glitch, USCIS is on fire to approve AOS without interview especially ( not all) for people who just got married or before 2 years anniversary of their wedding. dont know the reason why, but my guess, they want to bank in the money for the next step when you guys filed for Removal of COndition. there's no hard rule who got interview waived or not. i think it just depend on the officer. congrats ! and card usually will come within 1-2 weeks.

~~ Topic moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports ~~

If you scour threads here on those who are adjusting from K1, you’ll see that many couples had their interviews waived. USCIS has been waiving interviews for those who have had a consular interview abroad, their argument is that the bona fides of the  relationship have already been vetted by the consulate 

Edited by powerpuff

36 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports ~~

If you scour threads here on those who are adjusting from K1, you’ll see that many couples had their interviews waived. USCIS has been waiving interviews for those who have had a consular interview abroad, their argument is that the bona fides of the  relationship have already been vetted by the consulate 

A friend of mine was waived and she didnt have consular interview, she aos from b2 visa

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Roc April 27, 2021

🤣

Oh wow congrats! As someone who also is a November 2022 Michigan filer, this fills me full of hope. However the utter randomness of USCIS dashes it away just as easily.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Congrats and I hope these trends continue. It wouldn’t be the worst thing if K-1 became viable.  

I do think spouse based AOS from single intent non immigrant status should be lower priority than from dual intent status like K-1.  

6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Congrats and I hope these trends continue. It wouldn’t be the worst thing if K-1 became viable.  

I do think spouse based AOS from single intent non immigrant status should be lower priority than from dual intent status like K-1.  

i agreed with u mike. but as u know USCIS do whatever they want. totally not fair to people

there's this FB group. someone came to the US with K1, did AOS interview back in April 2021 and seems no red flag. still no GC until now

I am surprised the interview was waived for AOS from B2. Didn't know this was possible. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

1 hour ago, discoverusa said:

I am surprised the interview was waived for AOS from B2. Didn't know this was possible. 

I was surprised too, and plus my friend applied for vaccination waiver. But she was waived

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Roc April 27, 2021

🤣

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 hours ago, Bahrainexpat said:

Sometimes it gets strange!  Wife received her 10 yr card out of the blue in the mail.. 2 weeks later she gets a letter that she is approved and her card will be sent soon.. Go figure.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
14 hours ago, Mike E said:

Mike, what is meant by single intent versus dual intent? Asking because I love to know and I wasn't able to make sense of it. Do you mean K1 being the "proper" way and dual intent meaning residency and work? I am probably asking a dumb question.

Edited by R&OC

4 hours ago, R&OC said:

Mike, what is meant by single intent versus dual intent? Asking because I love to know and I wasn't able to make sense of it. Do you mean K1 being the "proper" way and dual intent meaning residency and work? I am probably asking a dumb question.

Single intent visas are non-immigrant visas that do not allow immigrant intent while dual intent visas do.

For example, someone applying for a B-2 or F-1 visa must demonstrate that they have ties to their home country and will return there at the end of their stay in the US. Someone applying for an H-1B visa does not need to meet those requirements as it is a dual intent visa. K-1 visas are a bit unusual because they are technically non-immigrant visas but their sole purpose is for immigrating to the US, so they are technically dual intent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.