jaysaldi

Can you walk into a USCIS office located far across the country at your biometrics appointment time?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Wife got a biometrics appointment notice in the mail.

Appointment is for next week. In Nevada.

We're in Rhode Island.

Google maps lists a USCIS Providence field office in Johnston, RI and a USCIS Application Support Center in Cranston, RI. 

Can she just walk into one of those at the appointed date and time, and if so, which one?

She can try. 

It depends on the ASC's current policy. 

You used to be able to but policies have changed and vary by individual office. Go to the nearest and give it a shot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
39 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

Wife got a biometrics appointment notice in the mail.

Appointment is for next week. In Nevada.

We're in Rhode Island.

did you move?

Google maps lists a USCIS Providence field office in Johnston, RI and a USCIS Application Support Center in Cranston, RI. 

Can she just walk into one of those at the appointed date and time, and if so, which one?

She can try walking into another office now and see what happens.  

Experiences vary.  Some advise waiting until traffic is light.  Some just get turned away. 

I don’t know if Johnston does biometrics. I would try the ASC

Edited by Mike E

Timeline

Yeah but then the guard at the door may notice that the date is off and shoo us away. I figured if we at least have the date/time correct there's a better chance of getting in.

24 minutes ago, Mike E said:

did you move?

She can try walking into another office now and see what happens.  

Experiences vary.  Some advise waiting until traffic is light.  Some just get turned away. 

I don’t know if Johnston does biometrics. I would try the ASC

We moved from Nevada to Texas. USCIS got the change of address, still scheduled it for Nevada. Currently visiting Rhode Island.

1 hour ago, jaysaldi said:

Yeah but then the guard at the door may notice that the date is off and shoo us away. I figured if we at least have the date/time correct there's a better chance of getting in.

We moved from Nevada to Texas. USCIS got the change of address, still scheduled it for Nevada. Currently visiting Rhode Island.

if you come on the appointment time and got shoo away, u wont have back up plan. 

dont mess up with uscis

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Mike E said:

And if you wait until the date of the biometrics and are denied entry in RI, and can’t reach USCIS before the appointment time to reschedule, your case will be denied.  

I am trying to help you.   I am advising you try something that has succeeded in the past.  

If you try  today and get denied, then you know that your next move should be to reschedule the biometrics.  Or return to Texas, bring the biometrics letter and your AR-11 to your field office a day before the appointment and try. You might be allowed in. You might be told to comeback the next day. Or you might be told to just go away. If the latter you can reschedule. 

Best wishes for your immigration journey. 

Thanks. I guess there are a couple of variables here I’d like to get more info on.

First, if we go in at the designated date and time, but just to a different office, will we be treated like a “walk in” who has entered out of turn or treated more like a proper appointment holder? 

Second, if we are turned away and then I call USCIS to reschedule, and I can’t get through before the appointment time (despite the benefit of a 3 hour time change arbitrage) will they really  reject the petition and deny rescheduling if I reach them a few hours or days late? 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

if you come on the appointment time and got shoo away, u wont have back up plan. 

dont mess up with uscis

Back up plan is call to reschedule. The Nevada appointment is actually 3 hours later with time change if that helps 

2 minutes ago, jaysaldi said:

Back up plan is call to reschedule. The Nevada appointment is actually 3 hours later with time change if that helps 

have you actually try to call to reschedule and its working? like @Mike E said we can only advising u what to do.

i think u should know by know changing things with uscis isnt like walk in the cloud ( re : u still schedule for bio appointment in nevada despite changing ur address)

good luck with ur journey

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

have you actually try to call to reschedule and its working? like @Mike E said we can only advising u what to do.

i think u should know by know changing things with uscis isnt like walk in the cloud ( re : u still schedule for bio appointment in nevada despite changing ur address)

good luck with ur journey

No I haven’t called to reschedule. I’d prefer to keep the appointment and just do it in Rhode Island. We’re planning to be out if the country February -may. I don’t want to postpone this 5 months 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, jaysaldi said:

No I haven’t called to reschedule. I’d prefer to keep the appointment and just do it in Rhode Island. We’re planning to be out if the country February -may. I don’t want to postpone this 5 months 

But your appointment is for the office in Nevada, not just a time slot to be filled by you in any location of the US. You will not be treated as an appointment in Rhode Island simply because that's not where you've been scheduled to appear.

Sure, they might still see you, but as a walk-in. Like everyone else here, I would discourage you from waiting until the date shown in your letter. Go now, and if they say no, call to reschedule. It's applicants that need to change their plans to suit USCIS, not the other way around. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Misscloud said:

dont mess up with uscis

Its better to try then not at all.

My husband went a week early, and no issues

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
7 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

Have you filed for AP?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.