jaysaldi

Can you walk into a USCIS office located far across the country at your biometrics appointment time?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Once you have the biometric note, regardless of what they tell you at ISCIS, you can walk in any biometric office anytime and do it. No one will care. Many people, including myself, done it. Not only anywhere in us, but also any day on or before the appointment. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

On what basis would Rhode Island be the office to handle this?

u said u are just visiting there/  its not the state of your resicence

I read something yesterday on another website where someone said they were told by USCIS they could walk in to any office at the designated date/time.  That's why I wanted to know if chances of getting served are better if you are there are the correct time albeit at a different office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, jaysaldi said:

I read something yesterday on another website where someone said they were told by USCIS they could walk in to any office at the designated date/time.  That's why I wanted to know if chances of getting served are better if you are there are the correct time albeit at a different office.

you can try

but do u know if this office does biometrics ?

and the office with the appointment will show Missed

immigration is not that good at corresponding from one office to another from what i have seen

they did't even update your new address from Vegas to Texas 

why not look up the office phone # and ask if its ok

Timeline
7 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

you can try

but do u know if this office does biometrics ?

and the office with the appointment will show Missed

that's an interesting point. does anyone know if that's true. If you go to a different office and have biometrics done does the other office just show a missed appointment?

Timeline
17 hours ago, mari04 said:

Once you have the biometric note, regardless of what they tell you at ISCIS, you can walk in any biometric office anytime and do it. No one will care. Many people, including myself, done it. Not only anywhere in us, but also any day on or before the appointment. 

Reports are that this varies from office to office and many people have been refused 

On 12/28/2022 at 9:01 AM, jaysaldi said:

We’re planning to be out if the country February -may. I don’t want to postpone this 5 months 

As you didn't answer when someone asked before. Did you apply for AP? Your application will be considered abandoned (denied) if you leave without AP or are on a certain visa (eg H1B).

09/15/21 - Sent packet via USPS to Chicago lockbox

09/22/21 - Priority date

09/26/21 - Text/email confirmation of receipt by USCIS

09/28/21 - Checks cashed by USCIS

09/30/21 - Received I-797C for I-485, I-765, I-131 and I-130 in mail

10/09/21 - USCIS online account updates to schedule biometrics

11/01/21 - Biometrics appointment (Brooklyn, NY)

11/04/21 - Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

02/14/22 - I-765 Expedite requested

02/24/22 - Expedite evidence sent

03/23/22 - EAD arrived in mail

05/06/22 - AP approved (expedited)

01/03/23 - RFE for I-693, case transferred to Boise, ID office

01/17/23 - I-485 approved

01/25/23 - GC arrived in mail

Timeline

I wanted to follow up with our experience trying to get my wife's biometrics done at a different USCIS office.

As mentioned above, we moved from Las Vegas to Texas, submitted the change of address form to USCIS, and a week later they nonetheless scheduled the biometrics for January 3 in Las Vegas.

We're visiting Rhode Island for the holidays and weren't able to get to the office in Las Vegas (or Texas).

i called USCIS last week and they said the appointment would have to be rescheduled and that I definitely couldn't just walk in to a different office.  I told her "OK, don't reschedule it, we'll figure something out" and then she asked me to hold the line while she made notes on my file which I assumed were "Don't let them walk in for biometrics, I specifically told them not to do that."

The next day (around December 28) we tried to walk into the Rhode Island office. I explained we were scheduled for Las Vegas. She told me they couldn't help me that day BUT if I returned to the Rhode Island office on January 3 at the date and time on my Las Vegas appointment notice, then they could help me.

This of course doesn't make a lot of sense, but I've read other accounts of this online - that USCIS offices will accept you for walk in at a different office if you are there at the correct appointment time.

We went back today at the correct appointment time and a different lady was staffing the desk. When she saw the appointment notice she asked "Who's in Las Vegas" and I explained that we were scheduled for a different office but the other lady told us we could come back at the right time, and she started nodding her head as if she was aware of this "wrong office, right time" walk in policy.

So then they took my wife's fingerprints and we were out in 5 minutes. 

This is for I-751, not I-485 by the way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.