miker32us

Chinese overstaying B1 visa looking for husband

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

A Chinese woman here in the USA has overstayed her B1 visa by several months. She is convinced she can marry an American and start the R-1 process but I think her application would be denied and she would have to return to China where it is likely she would be denied entry because of the overstay. Is this correct?

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

She could be denied or issued a GC while staying in the US, depends on if she is just marrying an American or marrying the American to live the life together.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

She can marry and adjust status if she is still in the US. Overstay will be forgiven for spouses of US Citizens.

Does she have a SO in the US already or is she now looking for somebody in the US to marry for immigration purposes? 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

She can marry a US citizen and apply for Adjustment of Status. However, as @arken said, one of the criteria for granting her a GC is proving that her marriage is bonafide (meaning for love) instead of for immigration benefits. 

If you suspect that she is dating Americans for that second purpose, you are correct in keeping your distance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I am asked dozens of times for advice and assistance either at these parties or via email from our Chinese friends. That is the way it is when you are married to a Chinese, other people hear that you have successfully completed the program and ask for advice. What I have seen so many times is that the Chinese talk amongst themselves and spread totally false ideas. 

I-130...CR-1

02/27/06 Filed CR-1, I-130 thru TSC

07/26/06 NVC assigns case #, Wife e-mails choice of agent to NVC

10/10/06 Receive, complete and submit I-864 and DS-230

04/02/07 Back to Taiwan for visit and Interview

04/06/07 Received CR-1 visa

04/10/07 POE through Detroit

04/30/07 2 Year Green Card Received

Lifting Conditions

01/10/09 File I-751 at VSC

06/24/09 Received 10 year GC

Citizenship

07/27/10 Filing Date for N-400

08/03/10 Check cashed - as of 8/26 never received NOA so made InfoPass

08/31/10 InfoPass for Biometrics

11/10/10 Interview Date, Passed

02/18/11 Scheduled oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

it is marriage fraud to look for a husband to marry to stay in the US on tourist visa

is the man a US citizen or green card holder?   makes a difference

so,  there is a lot we don't know to properly answer that question 

you went the CR1 route but this poor guy should be aware of what is involved with filing AOS in US
so,  if u know him encourage him to join VJ

the AOS is $1225 and he would need to cover all her expenses till she has finished the process and that means paying for all health care (insurance and bills not covered by the insurance)

The penalty for a fake marriage if discovered is five years in prison at most, a $250,000 fine, or both. The Immigration and Nationality Act 275(c) clearly spells out the immigration and criminal consequences for faking marriage for immigration purposes.Jun 18, 2022

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

it is marriage fraud to look for a husband to marry to stay in the US on tourist visa

is the man a US citizen or green card holder?   makes a difference

so,  there is a lot we don't know to properly answer that question 

you went the CR1 route but this poor guy should be aware of what is involved with filing AOS in US
so,  if u know him encourage him to join VJ

the AOS is $1225 and he would need to cover all her expenses till she has finished the process and that means paying for all health care (insurance and bills not covered by the insurance)

The penalty for a fake marriage if discovered is five years in prison at most, a $250,000 fine, or both. The Immigration and Nationality Act 275(c) clearly spells out the immigration and criminal consequences for faking marriage for immigration purposes.Jun 18, 2022

She stated marry and "American" 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Palawan said:

She stated marry and "American" 

yes,  but does she walk up and ask someone "are u a USC ?

many assume

you can't tell someone is a USC by looking at them

my German neighbor was here on H1 b visa and owned a house , car 

unless he had told us his story about the work to get the visa,  we would not have known

still it would be best if the man ,  himself ,  was here to ask what is the process and know the pitfalls

Edited by JeanneAdil

*** Two posts removed and administrative action taken. Do not make rude, unhelpful, and disparaging remarks to other people on this sites as per the ToS.

The thread is now closed for comments.

VJ Moderation.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.